• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Could use some help on a rifle.

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I worked at gun store through college and while there I came across a semi custom remington 700 chambered in a 20 tac. It looks like whoever built the rifle might of skipped a couple steps but the rifle shoots unbelievably well, but it has feeding issues and sometimes super hard too close almost like I wasn’t bumping the shoulder back or jamming into the lands like crazy!

I believe one of the issues is the rifle started its life as a larger caliber, 22-250/243 win. Looks to of had a different follower. Now I’ve pulled a follower out of my 204 ruger and swapped it and it fixed majority of the issue except it seems the original spring and length of the follower might be off a bit. The rounds have a lot of wiggle room and while putting in 4 or 5 round over half the time I get a nasty jam and have to dump all the rounds and start over.

Number 2 is the bolt face. I’ve owned 10-15+ remingtons and haven’t have one with the extractor that cuts across the bolt face. I don’t know if this is a much older gun but even my 70’s remingtons don’t have that. I’m trying to upload a photo but having some issues. Basically it looks as if the bolt face might be larger and they used a thin piece of steel in a half moon shape with an extractor on it that now cuts into the bolt face a little making it a smaller bolt face. I’m wondering if this might be causing my feeding issues once in a while. It’s not too often but it is happening more and more. I’ve loaded rounds long before, and loaded them without bumping shoulders so I know what that feels like. This feels like it’s the wrong case going in the gun. It won’t close all the way forward nevermind even pushing it down. I have to bang it around a little before it feels like the extractor finally moves into position allowing the bolt to slide into position.

I’m wondering what I can do about this. Would it be best to get a gunsmith to replace the bolt with a ptg replacement bolt with the proper set up on it, and then run a dbm or a new bdl? I paid very very little for the rifle, and the rifle is currently a trued 700 with a fluted bolt, aftermarket 20 cal 1:11 twist ( fairly certain it’s kreiger or bartlein), barrel, Jewell trigger sitting in the original vls stock. Makes for one hell of a varmint rifle but has to many issues to be reliable! What’s my remedy to this situation?