• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Counter Drone Tactics

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    I have a neighbor that likes to buzz my range with a drone.

Best counter measures for this?

He stays too high up to get with a fishing rod

I disagree with the BBB and any letter-sized shot.

Drones are not hard to kill, but they are difficult to hit due to the fact that they're so splindly and small. You need pattern density and lots of it.

@Maggot is correct with turkey loads, preferably lead with #4 or smaller shot. Choke it no lighter than MOD. Might need Lt Full or full depending on target altitude.

For the best pattern density, nothing beats Hevi-Shot

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot and 143lrsd
    Well you can't shoot at it cuz it's a felony... Drones are controlled by the FAA now.

Hacking it is probably out but you can get a Jammer and saturate the signal
    YOure shooting on your own range at some clay pigeons. The drone got in the line of fire while trespassing on private property.

YOure shooting on your own range at some clay pigeons. The drone got in the line of fire while trespassing on private property.
    It's not trespassing when it's in the air... assuming the Drone is above a structure such as a house

Get your own cheap drone and crash it into the neighbors drone. Oops, my bad...
    ^^^Best idea I have heard yet.
    Get your own drone, and when your neighbor's drone is on your property's "airspace", crash your drone into his drone over your property. File report: "I was flying my drone on my property and his drone crashed into my drone on my property." Demand that your neighbor pay for the damage of your drone and any crash damage on your property.

That will teach him a lesson + you get a brand new drone at his expense.

Last edited:
    I’m a libertarian but drones are horseshit

At the least they should have to fly at 1000’ or above.

We had one flying around the hood for awhile. Neighbor finally shot it down or winged it and it crashed near a retention pond. Come to find out, the dude had been watching my neighbors girls at their pool. They recovered the drone which had some extra batteries wired up to it for longer flight life and eventually tracked it down to a pedophile that was released 6 months prior. So yeah, find a way to get rid of it. Most likely someone up to no good.

Short of Theis' recommendation, jamming is the easiest way. Most are some type of WiFi frequency or L Band, depending on which one it is. Jamming will cause control loss, and the RTB function may kick in...or not (if the user never set/reset the RTB location it could cause the loss of said drone :D ).

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
    Well you can't shoot at it cuz it's a felony... Drones are controlled by the FAA now.

Hacking it is probably out but you can get a Jammer and saturate the signal
    Jammer is FCC controlled as it's a radio signal. Jammer = slammer or a healthy fine.

Drones are not hard to kill, but they are difficult to hit due to the fact that they're so splindly and small. You need pattern density and lots of it.

@Maggot is correct with turkey loads, preferably lead with #4 or smaller shot. Choke it no lighter than MOD. Might need Lt Full or full depending on target altitude.

Some exist that will not be deterred with this methodology.

I’m a libertarian but drones are horseshit

At the least they should have to fly at 1000’ or above.
    the 400' limit is there for a reason. 1000' can get into a different class of airspace. You do not want this conflict.

well, they’ve managed to use them in some protest...
    That's interesting. I think technically it's still illegal; but then again, it also depends on the amount of power. But, since it was used in a protest (assuming by protesters) then obviously they could have a 50KW jammer if they wanted since law and order doesn't apply to them ;).

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    ^ban then over private property then
    I can get on board with that. Texas has enacted strict new laws regarding this, so strict that it is being challenged in court by journalists as they view it as being in conflict with the First Amendment.

Reactions: deersniper

I think you'd need something like #4/#2 lead with full choke (like what we used to hunt duck/goose with) or some of that TSS stuff (#7) out of a 30" barrel (never shot this, so ? on choke, likely full as most turkey guns are).

Common Law you own up to 500' height in the air above your property.
    References?

Amazon, EMS and others would disagree with that. The 3D space is coming. This is causing a redefining of private airspace, especially in urban areas.

Get the ai's of drone fighting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200826-094712_Photos.jpg
      Screenshot_20200826-094712_Photos.jpg
      412.2 KB · Views: 78
    @lariat

"In United States v. Causby, the case that decided how property rights in airspace would work, the court found that the property rights in the air over a small farm extended up to 365 feet aboveground, and therefore that government airplanes flying at 83 feet aboveground (and frightening the farmer’s chickens to death) were trespassing.

Today, your property right in a piece of land extends as high above it as “normal use of the land” requires. That is, your property right extends as high as you build, plus a reasonable buffer so that overflights are high enough to not disturb your use of the land. In rural areas, that buffer is 360 feet; in urban and suburban areas, it’s 500 feet."

@lariat

"In United States v. Causby, the case that decided how property rights in airspace would work, the court found that the property rights in the air over a small farm extended up to 365 feet aboveground, and therefore that government airplanes flying at 83 feet aboveground (and frightening the farmer’s chickens to death) were trespassing.

Today, your property right in a piece of land extends as high above it as “normal use of the land” requires. That is, your property right extends as high as you build, plus a reasonable buffer so that overflights are high enough to not disturb your use of the land. In rural areas, that buffer is 360 feet; in urban and suburban areas, it’s 500 feet."

The issue is twofold: this ruling is being ignored by the local PD who are not going after drones that are violating it, essentially making it a non-law. Sucks but thats how it goes. Second, in urban areas it is not far from today that this 500' requirement will be impossible in order to engage in commerce and "normal" emergency management and city services. Privacy is seriously at risk with all of this no doubt, but it is the future.

Drones and wireless surveillance cameras are going to be a huge problem for personal privacy in the next ten years, there will be a lot of discussion centered around privacy laws and what is/isn’t legal. Does your neighbor not like you shooting? I agree that talking with them is the best first round approach and trying to figure out what their intentions are. Using a shotgun is likely to bring you a lot of fun conversations with the FAA. In Chile, protesters disabled a drone’s cameras with green lasers to a point that the operator couldnt bring it back home and it crashed and was destroyed by the crowd, again though FAA won’t like that.

Does the drone dip below tree level on your property? if so, you might need to install a grid of high strength monofilament line to prevent rotor damage to your branches. It’d be a shame if someone’s pesky drone damaged one of your prized pines or “rare” hickory trees.

• Haha
    Reactions: deersniper
    Any chance you live near an airport or other controlled airspace? If so, they could be in violation of FAA flight restrictions. Just a thought since jamming and shooting will get you in more trouble than it is worth. Also, being the neighborly type and talking to the guy calmly is still in play.

Why did it take this long to get this reply?

This or get a drone and fly it over his house. See how he likes it.

It didnt. I suggested it in the second post.

Guys. You need to understand 14CFR part 107. The only prohibition is you don’t fly over a person or moving vehicle. Technically the airspace above your land is yours only in the regard that it is not part of the federal airspace system. It is not yours in the sense that you can shoot a drone down. Now if you can prove that the operator is spying or operating in a reckless manner you can report it to the police or FAA. But that’s really it.

Reactions: THEIS
    Common Law you own up to 500' height in the air above your property.

You may want to recheck that. I believe it's already been ruled that the height you own on your property is that to the highest structure. That would be a human built structure not a tree. The only real variance is if air traffic is impeding your business or daily way of life.

If you have a problem with aircraft controlled by the FAA interfering with your property then you need to contact them directly.

You may want to recheck that. I believe it's already been ruled that the height you own on your property is that to the highest structure.
    He already posted a link to case law bolstering his claim.

I think it's you who might need to recheck facts.

Tell the police about your drone flying neighbor and that you had some female friends who were sunbathing and he was spying on them.

It has been decades, but I remember reading that airplanes could not fly lower then 1000' over a city/urban area and 500' in the country. Because a drone is smaller this may not apply.

Nobody is listening or doing the math from the sources provided in this thread. Even if that 500' law still exists you cant shoot the drone down. Therefore the law FUNCTIONALLY does not exist. The fucking feds will have your ass if you shoot it or jam it and they get involved.