• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Counter Sniper sighting, first impression

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I was at the range this morning and I guy sets up at the bench next to me. He has a tricked out M1A1 with some kind of chassis stock. After our introductions he begins to tell me about his Awesome scope and how it is a $2,000. scope that they are selling for only $400. He carries on about how it is a Military contract over-run and that it is such a great deal he already has two and is saving for another. The scope he is describing is a Counter Sniper 4 x 16 x 50. Being the proud owner of such a scope he offers me a chance to check it out and see how all of the functions work.
With targets set up at 100 yds, I cranked the magnification all the way up and got the AO set-up.
WOW, what a piece of $hit......I am not trying to be a scope snob, but this was the worst optics I have ever looked through. Face it guys at 14-power you are not asking too much from a scope. This was like looking through a glass after you just drank the milk out of it. The conversation of how bright it was doesn't even come into play because it was neither bright nor clear. The closest thing I can relate it to is like looking through a $60. Northstar 24-power scope at a Gun show.
If you are contemplating buying one of these scopes... Don't...For that kind of money there are far better choices. I have a $180. Bushnell Legend 5 x 15 Mil-dot scope on my 10/22 that has better glass. Guys do some homework and don't be fooled into thinking that this is a $2,000. scope for only $400.
End of Rant, and I hope I can help someone here.
FWIW I held my tongue and never told the guy at the range what a piece of shit the scope really was. How could I, he was even offering to go back to his car and get me the information so that I too could have one of these scopes. LOL.....
SScott

Re: Counter Sniper sighting, first impression

Scott,

What were you shooting? Could you have had him take a look through yours and possibly saved him from flushing <span style="font-style: italic">another</span> $400.00?

(<span style="font-style: italic">When he saw the difference he'd know he'd been had</span>)

next time you shoud ... no, nevermind. you did right.

I was working with my DPMS LR .308 and getting my new scope (bought used from the Hide) Bushnell 6 x 24 x 50 tactical. I did offer him a peek and he did take a look. I don't think he got it, he was so awe inspired by the Counter Sniper's illuminated reticle and all of its ranging bars to really SEE the difference. I wasn't there to make the guy feel like a dumb ass so I just moved on to other things. After about a half hour of getting his "led sled" set up and finally shooting some some groups, he was able to get his rig to print about a 6" group. He said that "it was just the cheap ammo he used for getting the scope sighted in"...... I just left it alone.
SScott

Power of suggestion, has an amazing effect on simple minded people, at the last nra show they were buying these like hotcakes, took a look thru a couple of them, worse than looking thru a fishbowl.

You really can;t save people from themselves. I remember when they first appearred at Shot Show and it was painfully obvious that they were awful scopes.

I always wonder why people beleive the hype.

You did the right thing. The next time you see him you might be able to slowly educate him and get him into good glass.

or better yet, let him look thru a decent scope you might own. And he will surely "see the light" literally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"it was just the cheap ammo he used for getting the scope sighted in"</div></div>

This is the best quote I have read in any Counter Sniper thread
laugh.gif
The only answer to dealing with a shitty scope is to sight it in with shitty ammo
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really can;t save people from themselves. I remember when they first appearred at Shot Show and it was painfully obvious that they were awful scopes.

You did the right thing. The next time you see him you might be able to slowly educate him and get him into good glass.
</div></div>I didn't even have to see one of these scopes in person. Just seeing their ad in a magazine was enough to tell me this is not something I would want to buy. Later, seeing all these negative comments only proves my suspicions true.

As far as helping these people realize they bought a POS? Well, as long as the person is happy witht the product, why burst their bubble?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just seeing their ad in a magazine was enough to tell me this is not something I would want to buy </div></div>

Was the ad running on the same page with the male enhancement products?

ROFLMAO

Regards,

IUD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: im-ur-daisy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just seeing their ad in a magazine was enough to tell me this is not something I would want to buy </div></div>

Was the ad running on the same page with the male enhancement products?

ROFLMAO

Regards,

IUD </div></div>LOL, no. It happened to be in a Barrett firearms magazine.
grin.gif

I finally saw one at a funshow recently. Let's just say everything said here has been accurate...if understated!!

Any review of the Counter Sniper without mentioning the words "Bertrillium-Zantitium" is misguided, at best. That milky whiteness is supposed to be there. That is the Bertrillium-Zantitium field electrostatically repelling dust down to 3 microns.

Up until recently, I was not aware of how bad these scopes really are. About a month ago, I was in large, very well known and seemingly reputable gun store in CT. While browsing their selection of scopes, I noticed 2 models displayed on top of some "flashy" boxes that read Counter Sniper Optics.
I had seen some of the advertising but hadn't heard anything else about them at the time. My first impression was that with a name like that, and all the propaganda, they were either the real deal, or one big gimmick. I asked the salesman in the scope dept. if they were really all they were advertised to be.
He picked one up (he had to read the price on the box), handed it to me for "inspection", and said "At $1600, these scopes are no joke!" although he didn't offer any other information about them. I did look through it, as much as you can look through a scope holding it in your hand, standing in a shop. Nothing about it was overly impressive to me. I thanked him and handed it back to him, thinking I'd do a little more research on my own. Then I checked out this forum!
I prefer to think that the salesman didn't know the first thing about them, and was not trying to intentionally mislead me.
After all, he didn't reccomend the scope until I speciffically asked about it. Still I would like to think a shop like that would be more informed about the products they are selling, especially one with a $1600+ price tag.
Again, I will give them the benefit of the doubt that whoever does their purchasing got duped into bringing them in by the Dark Ops rep, and doesn't realize what crap they are.
Next time I'm in the store, I plan to ask them about it.
I cant wait to see how they respond!

You can be really tacticool and buy them from this place: Snipe Essentials.

http://www.sniperessentials.com/pd-countersniper-optics-4x16-w50mm.cfm

Check out all of the reviews a Midway USA: Only the last 2 reviewers get it:

Overall Rating: 4.2 out of 5Used this Product?Rate It
5 stars
L Malcolm Seal of Jasper, Tx Date posted: 9/3/2007I have several other "Tactical" scopes costing many times more than this one. It is the best, clearest, brightest and most sturdy yet. What a buy!!!Was this review helpful?Yes | No22 found it helpful | 5 did not
5 stars
John Smith of Hartselle, AL Date posted: 7/15/2007Over the years I have used scopes made by some of the best names in the business. This is by far the very best I have ever owned hands down. The lighted reticle is a great feature for hunting at low light.Was this review helpful?Yes | No31 found it helpful | 11 did not
5 stars
Russell Harrison of Tucson, AZ Date posted: 7/18/2007Great scope with solid construction and bright optics. Just wish they had another in stock so I could buy it. Was this review helpful?Yes | No22 found it helpful | 8 did not
5 stars
John Redman of Monrovia, IN Date posted: 8/17/2007I wrote to the company distributing this scope prior to purchasing one concerning where it was made and what the warranty was there reply was "MADE IN USA (we use the German Schlott glass).10 YR WARRANTY. That's hard to beat. This is one of the finer scopes I have ever used. Optics are extremely clear and bright, as good or better than my Leupold's. 1/16th MOA adjustments, 5 settings red illumination and 5 settings green illumination. You really have to see and use it to appreciate the workmanship and extremely good quality of this scope. I would also like to add that the distributor stands behind the product. Not enough room here, long story, but I was extremely pleased with their customer service. Was this review helpful?Yes | No62 found it helpful | 13 did not
5 stars
steve howe of columbus, oh Date posted: 11/9/2007Very ruggedly built. Nice glass rheostat for illuminated reticle is located in the middle with the turrets, you get no glare at all when illuminated, very nice. Only thing I don't like is that these scopes are built with a frontal focal plane. When you increase or decrease magnification, the reticle changes in size in direct relation to the magnification. At 16 power, the crosshairs are a little thicker than I care for, but are perfect for any tactical scenario. Was this review helpful?Yes | No18 found it helpful | 0 did not
5 stars
derek Peace of EVANSTON, WY Date posted: 4/1/2008The scope I received was of the highest quality. Shoots beautifully, held its zero and after sighting in I fiddled with the knobs then returned them to the earlier setting dead on. It is mounted to a very heavy .223 so no recoil to test with on that front, overall the best deal I've ever run across.Was this review helpful?Yes | No8 found it helpful | 1 did not
5 stars
Carl Petite of Yucaipa, CA Date posted: 11/10/2009A bodacious value, the scope is truly a work of art, just holding it in your hand will convey quality beyond the price, and believe me the price is unbelievable. This extraordinary deal is short lived, it is a factory overrun, and at a discount to boot. Photographers will know that this is the same type of glass used in "Notable "L" class lenses", these bargains are rare. I’m over 65 so I know value, great scope, great pricing. Period.Was this review helpful?Yes | No2 found it helpful | 1 did not
4 stars
Tim Miner of Gladstone, OR Date posted: 11/16/2007First off, what a bargain! The optics, brightness and function are comparable to a Nightforce. The four star rating is because the illuminated reticle does "ghost" in low light conditions. It had no influence on accuracy but it could be a distraction not present in the Nightforce. Beyond that it's well made but mighty heavy. On my M21 it made an already heavy rifle heavier. But, I saved enough to buy two Turner slings; two Scope Coat Flak Jackets, a Springfield Armory trigger group and a gorgeous Nightforce single-piece mount AND rail for this scope on my M1A. I can live with the ghost. Was this review helpful?Yes | No20 found it helpful | 0 did not
2 stars
s leong of modesto, ca Date posted: 11/3/2007I'm being generous with the 2 stars only because the scope is pretty sturdy and clear, but this company (not midway) really needs to work on quality control. The first scope that I received had dirt particles on the inside reticle, so I sent it back and midway sent me another one, ok, so maybe I happened to get the bad one out of the batch, no problem. Second one came, everything seemed to be fine, no dirt, but when I turned on the illumination, it felt like I had double vision, there was the reticle and a mirror of the of the reticle right next to it, so this went back to midway. For the bold statements counter sniper makes on their scopes, they really need to back it up with good if not great quality control, because 2 bad scopes out of the box is inexcusable. Was this review helpful?Yes | No56 found it helpful | 9 did not
1 stars
Ron Scurry of Temecula, CA Date posted: 2/4/2009This scope is not worth the money they are asking. The glass is hazy at higher magnifications. The illuminated reticle is a joke. The light is so bad I can see better with it off. When mounted on a .308 caliber gun, the scope will not hold its zero. It repeatedly fails the box test. Do yourself a big favor and spend your money on a scope that you can actually shoot well with.

1600.00??

The owner has <span style="text-decoration: underline">no</span> conscience.

You can get any model of the POS Counter Sniper on the Cheaper Than Dirt (the are) web site for prices ranging from $50.00 to $400.00.

Looks like a friggin' Geco. If that other eye works it'd be hell to sneak up on him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1600.00??

You can get any model of the POS Counter Sniper on the Cheaper Than Dirt (the are) web site for prices ranging from $50.00 to $400.00. </div></div>
It is rediculous. However as I said, it is a rather large and well known shop, and for the most part, their prices are pretty fair. I have to believe that the owner is ignorant of the truth, and just fell for the hype as others have done.
My belief may change depending on his reaction to the truth.
If he agrees to look into it and does the right thing (either correct the pricing or stop representing them as a serious tactical scope), Iwill assume it was an honest mistake and my faith will be restored. If not, then I would have to agree with you that he has no concience, and would not set foot in the store again. I would also be compelled to alert others to their questionable ethics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
poster56828859qz2.jpg
</div></div>
He looks like he can hunt both sides of the "holler"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Atomic Lab Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really can;t save people from themselves. I remember when they first appearred at Shot Show and it was painfully obvious that they were awful scopes.

You did the right thing. The next time you see him you might be able to slowly educate him and get him into good glass. </div></div>

By the last day of SHOT this year they had all their scopes Zip tied to Ropes because everyone was giving them the good ol Drop Test on purpose. The security Guard right by the door where they were located at said he had seen no less than 20 broken before they started tying them up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first scope that I received had dirt particles on the inside reticle, so I sent it back and midway sent me another one,</div></div>
That guy fucked up. That wasn't dirt in there it was the rare earth. He shouldn't have sent it back, if he could actually see the rare earth in there then he must have had one of the super limited edition scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjohnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first scope that I received had dirt particles on the inside reticle, so I sent it back and midway sent me another one,</div></div>
That guy fucked up. earth. He shouldn't have sent it back, if he could actually That wasn't dirt in there it was the rare see the rare earth in there then he must have had one of the super limited edition scopes. </div></div> [

Coffee just came out of my nose. That is F-in hilarious!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sjohnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first scope that I received had dirt particles on the inside reticle, so I sent it back and midway sent me another one,</div></div>
That guy fucked up. That wasn't dirt in there it was the rare earth. He shouldn't have sent it back, if he could actually see the rare earth in there then he must have had one of the super limited edition scopes. </div></div>

Dude. I just had surgery on Tuesday, and I think I just tore a couple of stitches out laughing so hard!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude. I just had surgery on Tuesday, and I think I just tore a couple of stitches out laughing so hard! </div></div>
Make a poultice out of rare earth and put it on your wound. It will be healed in fifteen minutes - no stitches necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1600.00??

You can get any model of the POS Counter Sniper on the Cheaper Than Dirt (the are) web site for prices ranging from $50.00 to $400.00. </div></div>
It is rediculous. However as I said, it is a rather large and well known shop, and for the most part, their prices are pretty fair. I have to believe that the owner is ignorant of the truth, and just fell for the hype as others have done.
My belief may change depending on his reaction to the truth.
If he agrees to look into it and does the right thing (either correct the pricing or stop representing them as a serious tactical scope), Iwill assume it was an honest mistake and my faith will be restored. If not, then I would have to agree with you that he has no concience, and would not set foot in the store again. I would also be compelled to alert others to their questionable ethics. </div></div>

Went Back to "that store" on Tuesday. Asked the salesperson about the $1600 price tag on CS scopes. He said that was correct. My exact words were "$1600 for that scope? Are you serious? Those scopes are all over the internet for $400 or less!" He then informed me that they don't sell the $400 Counter Sniper scopes because they are crap. They only deal with the "high quality" models that sell for $1600!
Needless to say, I do not plan on returning to that store.