• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Counterfeit Leupold Mark IV info and discussion

AZ15

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2005
Sonoran Desert, AZ
Let me start by saying, this is not a "I don't like" or "I do like" Leupold thread. So please stay on topic. The purpose of this thread is to clarify and determine what we need to know in regards to buying used Leupold Mark IV optics. What prompted me to start this inquiry is that I've been trying to sell my own Mark IV and have gotten a lot of feedback regarding its authenticity, both positive and negative.

It seems to me that it would be useful to clarify what exactly is going on with these scopes in regards to the fakes coming out of China and Leupold's warning. For one reason, we ought to inform each other about fakes to protect ourselves and those companies who make us products we depend on. For two it is hurting their resale value and reputation.

So I'll begin with the text from Leupold's website in regards to the fakes:

<span style="font-style: italic">In general, most of the scopes appear to originate from Hong Kong (People’s Republic of China), and have “Leupold Mark 4” laser engraved on the bottom of the turret in a silver etch, while the black ring on the objective is etched in white and does not include the name “Leupold”. The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess. An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring.</span>

The way I am reading this is:

<span style="font-weight: bold">IF</span> the scope has silver etching on the bottom of the turret
<span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> the black ring on the objective is etched in white and does not include the name "Leupold"
<span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> the scopes do not bear the Leupold Medallion
<span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> the scopes are not engraved black on black
<span style="font-weight: bold">THEN</span> it is most likely a fake produced in Hong Kong

This warning was written to say, "If all of these attributes are found on a scope then it is most likely not a genuine Leupold." That's how I'm reading it.

Exhibit one. The scope I'm trying to sell:

Well, it does meet the first criterion for being a fake: it has white/silver etching on the bottom very similar to the etching shown on Leupold's website:

counterfeit-warning3.jpg

Notice that the bottom of the turret on mine is not actually a circle while the fake they have displayed is. But, moving on to the next criterion.

Does mine have white etching on the black ring of the objective? No.

Leupold's example of a known fake:

counterfeit-warning2.jpg

Next, does mine bear the Leupold medallion? No.

Leupold's example of a known fake:

counterfeit-warning1.jpg

Is mine engraved "black on black"? No. We can see from my first picture that it is engraved in white/silver on the bottom of the turret.

So the question is, is my scope real or fake? Well, on first glance it would appear my scope has 3 of the 4 markers for being a fake:

1. It has white/silver etching on the bottom of the turret
2. It does not bear the Leupold medallion
3. It is not engraved black on black

The only marker it does not have is the white etching on the ring of the objective.

Would you buy it based on this information? If you read Leupold's warning as I have, it would still not meet the criteria for being a fake. However, 3 out of 4 seems like too much of a risk until we examine it further.

Let's look at some other criteria individually.

From Leupold's warning:
<span style="font-style: italic">The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess.</span>

Show me an example of a Mark IV fixed 10 that has this medallion. From Leupold's own website, here is the pic of a fixed 10:

mark-4-10x40mm-lrt-m1-angle.jpg

See any medallion which "all Leupold scopes always possess"? No. Therefore, either not all Leupold scopes have the medallion OR Leupold is using a picture of a fake.

From Leupold's warning:
<span style="font-style: italic">authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black</span>

Here's a pic of the bottom turret on a 3.5-10 I still have the receipt for. It was purchased at the Scottsdale Gun Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Clearly it is not etched "black on black". So either the Scottsdale Gun Club is selling fake Leupolds OR Leupold's warning cannot be 100% accurate unless you read it as I have.

In addition to the photographic evidence I have placed several calls to Leupold to discuss this. I was told that the main criteria they use to determine a fake is the serial number, which is not even one the criteria used in the warning.

To sum up my conclusion:

The Leupold warning is meant to be read as, "If <span style="text-decoration: underline">all </span>of these attributes are found on a scope then it is most likely not a genuine Leupold." If you read it otherwise, it contradicts itself and can't be supported by photographic evidence.

I hope this serves as both clarification of the warning and as a starting point for further discussion of evidence. Leupold Mark IV scopes have always served me well, as they have many others, and the many misinterpretations of the warning are hurting the reputation of these optics as well as the resale value for those of us selling or trading them.

Re: Counterfeit Leupold Mark IV info and discussion

Nice job, gonna hang on to this.

What doesn't add up to me is they clearly state "The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess"... this isn't an <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> statement. They are saying that any scope that doesn't bear the medallion is a fake.

Also, the way I read "An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring." does not sound like an <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> statement either. I understand that this doesn't add up with your other scope having the white etching as well... the only thing that would make sense to me would be if they're both knock offs.

The way I read their description, I would say that those are <span style="font-weight: bold">or</span> statements.

Based solely on the information that you have provided above, I would assume they are not authentic, but I am by no means an expert on the subject.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volatile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What doesn't add up to me is they clearly state "The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess"... this isn't an <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> statement. They are saying that any scope that doesn't bear the medallion is a fake.

Also, the way I read "An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring." does not sound like an <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> statement either. I understand that this doesn't add up with your other scope having the white etching as well... the only thing that would make sense to me would be if they're both knock offs.

The way I read their description, I would say that those are <span style="font-weight: bold">or</span> statements.

Based solely on the information that you have provided above, I would assume they are not authentic, but I am by no means an expert on the subject. </div></div>

You're right, which is why I created this thread. Take the first statement:

<span style="font-style: italic">The scopes also do not bear the Leupold medallion, a mark all Leupold scopes will always possess.</span>

This is not ambiguous; it is stated very clearly. <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL </span>Leupold scopes will <span style="font-weight: bold">ALWAYS </span>possess. But then we find this stock photo of a Mark IV on Leupold's own website:

mark-4-10x40mm-lrt-m1-angle.jpg

You can also check the photos at your favorite optics dealers for the 10x series and you'll find the same thing: there is no medallion on the Mark IV fixed 10.

So we are left with two possibilities:

1. Leupold is using a fake scope for their stock photo
or
2. Not all Leupolds bear the medallion

You'll have to pick one. On to the next point.

<span style="font-style: italic">An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring. </span>

As counter evidence to this I presented a photo of a Mark IV purchased at the Scottsdale Gun Club ( SGGC ):

This scope is clearly engraved with something other than black on black. Once again we are left with two possibilities:

1. The Scottsdale Gun Club is selling fake Leupolds
or
2. Not all Leupolds are engraved black on black

Once again, you'll have to pick one. I think the evidence is that Leupold's statement on counterfeits only makes sense if we read it as I first presented it. I think Leupold chose poor language and/or a person wrote it without having enough information.

"An authentic Mark 4 riflescope will always be engraved black on black and have the name “Leupold” engraved on the black ring."

They are referring to the black ring around the objective lense in this statement.

good post. I actually believe Leupold disclaimer is doing more bad than good. A lot of people get confused by their statement.

Best is to call them and check the serial number/model associated to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow. very informative.

I think the best way to avoid a fake is dont buy off ebay and if a deal is too good to be true, then there is a higher chance it is a fake. </div></div>

I would amend that to "Don't buy Leupold" and "don't buy off ebay."

And doesn't the Scottsdale Gun Club sell Countersniper scopes? Do you really think an establishment that sells Countersnipers wouldn't sell counterfeit Leupolds.

C'mon, it ain't rocket surgery!

Direct from Leupold's website:

Leupold employs serial number tracking for all its riflescopes, so if a customer finds a scope that is suspect, he or she can simply write down the serial number and call 1-800-LEUPOLD to confirm if it is indeed authentic.

KISS...

+ 1 Longebow, if any doubt call Leupold.

I have 2 old MK4 M3's that are genuine but don't conform to their website, confirmed they were genuine by calling Leupold. Bought them new, locally from a reputable LE dealer many years ago.

Purchased a 6.5-20x MK4 illuminated from another hide member. He provided a pic of the serial number, called Leupold to confirm it was genuine, it was genuine.

Leupold can give you the manufacture date from the serial number.

I too have a Mark4 I bought in the early 90's that sports the same markings and I know its not a fake. It would seem that as with most large companies, there are thoes that are put in possisions of responsability. That dont fully know the product they support. Im sure if you were to visit Leupold, their is that old guy in the back some were that has been there since Moses was pointman on the Jewish patrol. He could tell you more than some shirt in the front office. Buyer beware, but be educated helps out too.

Yes there are many that say S&B, or Premire, or ever are the go to kit. But many a bad guy have fallen to some crapy Leupold
smile.gif

Right or wrong, Leupold's statement reads as each of those features can be used to identify a fake. Unfortunately, the only real way to tell is check the serial number and most consumers would pass on a deal before doing the leg work.

The interesting thing about the serial number is, even though I mentioned it several times in regards to my listing, I STILL had people telling me it is fake. ???

Also, I hope he doesn't mind me saying but I contacted Brady from SWFA to look at my scope. He said it looks authentic, and that he has not seen an fixed power fakes, only variables. Something else to keep in mind.

Just more info.

Re: Counterfeit Leupold Mark IV info and discussio

Interesting post with great info. If a buyer is to lazy to check the serial number with Leupold to varify they don't deserve the scope. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing will eventually varify your scope is genuine and you'll sell it. Good luck.

I played with a FAKE leupold at a gun show last year. From 5 feet away it looked fine. As soon as you have it in your hand it is evident it is a fake. It was lighter, the turrets were rough when rotated. If you look through the front objective you can see how roughly machined the tube is. It had the medailian and was black on black around the ring. In fact it's engraving was identical as far as I could tell.

I recently saw a Acog TA01 that looked like the real deal. It was marked properly. Clear and bright but no tritium and the caps were junky, otherwise it looked real.

Thank you for the very informative post. I'm looking at purchasing a Leupold right now.

You got a fake.LOL Its probably a gimmick for you to buy another scope. They post face criteria, you think you have a fake, you buy new scope, they make more money.

another thing is the differences in the bottom where the serial number is etched. we cant assume that there is only one factory knocking these off so there are bound to be different fakes out there too.

nice post

The best way I have found to do thing is to use their site and look up serial numbers. In the past I have found some scopes with early numbers and some reticles that I know weren't offered yet. Could they have been sent in for a reticle change? maybe but better safe than sorry

Didn't really want to bring up an old post, neither did I want to start a new one based on a topic that has been discussed previously but I do want to give everyone a heads up.

I almost bought a previously owned Leupold Mark IV (a face to face purchase) after the guy gave me the serial number from an email. I called Leupold to verify and was told that it was indeed their scope. We rendezvoused at a halfway point between our respective residences and when I saw the scope, alarms started going off in my head. The serial number was what he gave me on the email, and it did verify positive with the company when I checked. But the scope was definitely a copy based on the website's descriptions AND had <span style="font-style: italic">red and green</span> illumination, something the company told me they have <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">never done!!</span></span>

So be careful out there. Apparently China has gotten a hold of real serial numbers to etch on their junky crap.

This is a very informative post and the OP deserves a pat on the back for his effort but it's really as simple as......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Purchased a 6.5-20x MK4 illuminated from another hide member. He provided a pic of the serial number, called Leupold to confirm it was genuine, it was genuine.

Leupold can give you the manufacture date from the serial number. </div></div>

If you even think of buying a Mk4 second hand without confirming the serial number you basically deserve a fake. It takes two minutes and is fool proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Didn't really want to bring up an old post, neither did I want to start a new one based on a topic that has been discussed previously but I do want to give everyone a heads up.

I almost bought a previously owned Leupold Mark IV (a face to face purchase) after the guy gave me the serial number from an email. I called Leupold to verify and was told that it was indeed their scope. We rendezvoused at a halfway point between our respective residences and when I saw the scope, alarms started going off in my head. The serial number was what he gave me on the email, and it did verify positive with the company when I checked. But the scope was definitely a copy based on the website's descriptions AND had red and green illumination, something the company told me they have never done!!

So be careful out there. Apparently China has gotten a hold of real serial numbers to etch on their junky crap.</div></div>

Guess my fool proof method doesn't work like I thought. Insert foot in mouth starts now......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Didn't really want to bring up an old post, neither did I want to start a new one based on a topic that has been discussed previously but I do want to give everyone a heads up.

I almost bought a previously owned Leupold Mark IV (a face to face purchase) after the guy gave me the serial number from an email. I called Leupold to verify and was told that it was indeed their scope. We rendezvoused at a halfway point between our respective residences and when I saw the scope, alarms started going off in my head. The serial number was what he gave me on the email, and it did verify positive with the company when I checked. But the scope was definitely a copy based on the website's descriptions AND had red and green illumination, something the company told me they have never done!!

So be careful out there. Apparently China has gotten a hold of real serial numbers to etch on their junky crap.</div></div>

Guess my fool proof method doesn't work like I thought. Insert foot in mouth starts now......</div></div>

Nah, your method was fine until the Chinese wised up and actually started using real serial numbers. Maybe they have an inside man....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: effinnewguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Didn't really want to bring up an old post, neither did I want to start a new one based on a topic that has been discussed previously but I do want to give everyone a heads up.

Guess my fool proof method doesn't work like I thought. Insert foot in mouth starts now......</div></div>

Nah, your method was fine until the Chinese wised up and actually started using real serial numbers. Maybe they have an inside man.... </div></div>

Doesn't take an inside man- all it takes is an ad for a real scope that shows the SN. They only need a couple real SN's... and that's only assuming a lot of people would call first and they don't want the same SN being checked all the time. They could very well risk it with just one SN that matches the model they are selling.

Good information. I have 4 Mark4 scopes and when the fakes started showing up I checked all the serial# with leupold. They assured me all mine were legitimate and none of mine have the medallion. I have seen fakes at gun shows and on close inspection you can definatly tell the diference. Know your vender and pay attention.

As Far as "deserving" to get a fake for not doing homework is stupid. Not everyone knows about the problem with fakes in this model or pours over the pages of SH. I didn't know ANYTHING about the fakes until AFTER I had traded into the same exact scope that the OP has. I was sick when I saw the info on Leupold's website, luckily when I called and confirmed it was not a fake.This is great info and hopefully will save someone from getting a bum scope whether they deserve it or not.

Yeah I thought that was the same as saying you deseved to get mugged in the middle of the night while you were minding your own business.

No offense. If I were looking at a used scope to buy and came across yours, I would think it is a fake. Right or wrong, not worth my $$ to speculate.
BTW - the black on black etching should be on objective ring.