• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Counterfeit Zeiss?

HousePlant

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2020

This eBay listing is for a "Zeiss" scope that I don't think ever existed.

I don't think Zeiss ever made a 6-24x50 scope with white lettering and both a green and red illuminated reticle.

Correct? Interestingly a scope with this same description was called out on another similar forum years ago.

If it's fake, do what I did and report it -- if you have nothing better to do, haha.

Ignoring the optical spec and illumination, it looks very fake.

I have *very* limited exposure to Zeiss scopes but none that I have seen have an objective bell like in the picture. The parallax knob is missing the blue Zeiss logo. The font is wrong. The Carl Zeiss having "TM". No space between 6-24x50 and "AOMC". I happen to even have an AO MC model yet the AO is not there. So, it (mine) looks like "6.5-20x50 MC". Note my lowercase "x" in the scope spec vs the pictures having an uppercase. "Conquest" has the wrong font spacing. "Assembled in USA" font is too large.

Fake. About a year ago there was a crook dealer at a local gun show selling a couple of these. I politely pointed out that it was a fake and he got all defensive. he was trying to charge some poor unknowing bastard $500 for it. He started to get all agitated and I just started to get louder explaining it was a fake, he took it off the table. I looked thru it, it wasn't "horrible" but sure wasn't any precision german optics.

Fake. About a year ago there was a crook dealer at a local gun show selling a couple of these. I politely pointed out that it was a fake and he got all defensive. he was trying to charge some poor unknowing bastard $500 for it. He started to get all agitated and I just started to get louder explaining it was a fake, he took it off the table. I looked thru it, it wasn't "horrible" but sure wasn't any precision german optics.
    That son of a gun deserves to be horse whipped.

Reactions: Kamerad and JKW70
    I emailed Zeiss and they got back to me today stating it was indeed a fake. I also reported to them 5 other listings of similar-looking scopes, all fake. Reported them to eBay, who will probably do nothing.

They counterfeit everything.
    I have encountered lots of auto parts that were fakes - Motorcraft oil filters, Leece-Neville alternators, Nippon-Denso starters.
    Fake Surefire batteries.
    Oakley sunglasses, it is endless.

Ebay doesn't care about fakes. Their policy is that the buyer should know what they are looking at and bid accordingly. I believe it was stated something to the effect that "if the buyer doesn't know that it is fake, and bought it for much less than the real thing, then they got what they wanted." If you don't KNOW, don't bid.

Do you think this might be a counterfeit Zeiss? I was looking at it and I'm not familiar with Zeiss to know.

That's not real. Zeiss never labeled their scopes with gold lettering.

Pretty sure it's effectively the same as this counterfeit junk: https://www.wish.com/product/carl-z...10f3f24ff38cb?hide_login_modal=true&share=web

Probably they come from the same factory that makes the fake Leupold.

Years ago I went to visit the Dragon Mart, located in Dubai, it's the largest trading hub outside China. In the hardware department several tool sets and tool boxes were labeled as made in Italy and made in Germany. Next time I go, I will see what they have for scopes.

Its good to buy from reputable businesses these days to say the least. The guy that was selling the scope didn't even know it was fake. He was pissed that he was taken advantage of and didn't even realize it.