• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Counting Scale Recommendation

nwsnowbum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2008
Spokane, WA
First off...I'm not looking to weigh powder, I'm looking for a counting scale for brass and what not.

I'm looking at picking up a counting scale. I don't need anything too fancy, and I'd like to keep it under $200. There seems to be a million of these things out there and I'm looking for a recommendation from someone here so I can save myself some research time if possible.

I'd like it to be able to weigh up to 50 or 60 pounds at a time with a minimum unit weight of at least an unprimed piece of 9mm brass (primed is around 60gn or .0085lbs, not sure what unprimed is right now). If it can display in grains, thats great but not really necessary.

I figure someone here is probably dealing in large quantities of brass or small parts or something and probably uses a counting scale quite a bit and can make a recommendation.

I realize I can just get a cheap used postage scale off of Craigslist and just do math each time, but that is what I am trying to get away from.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Re: Counting Scale Recommendation

Look at balances.com and specifically scales that do "parts counting". The problem you might have is finding a scale with the resolution to pick up an individual case and have that size of capacity will probably end up being pretty expensive. A work around may be to buy a less accurate scale and do parts counting based off sets of 5-10 cases.

Mike, thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking at the Tree LCT-66lb scale. Seems to have the capacity and the resolution to accomplish this task.

haha you want to weigh 60 pounds of ammo so you dont have to count it ? haha

some idiots like to count things... one by one

Ammo...maybe, but usually up to 60 pounds of brass/bullets/other non-reloading related items too. I've only got 10 fingers and 10 toes on me, so counting upwards of 7000 pieces of 9mm brass (or whatever) at a time would take awhile.

I don't currently have a scale in my house other than what I use for measuring powder....which doesn't go anywhere near 60 pounds! While its easy enough to measure out 47.8 pounds of 9mm brass and then estimate that it is 5,578 pieces, I'd still have to buy a scale of some sort to accomplish that. So I figure I'll spend an extra few bucks and let the scale do the work for me.