• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grâce Build

CaptNkllm

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2022
Las Vegas, Nv
I am new so this will be my first Post worth anything well, Maybe just conversation..

I bought 3 of these. I naturally shoot left handed but being I just joined and had not planned on buying anything this was a last second purchase to ay the least but I feel good about it either way.

1- 223 cal
1- 308 cal
1- 308 Left Handed

I figured I need a nice bolt action rifle.. (actually have 4 safes in the garage full of them) I didnt have any Precision type guns per se.. For Fathers day I got a Ruger Precision in 308 as I figured it would be cheaper to learn on it vs a 6.5 Creedmoor .. My plan was to change the barrel out later and so on... I bought a Vortex Scope for it.. VORTEX Viper HS LR 6-24x50mm XLR Reticle 30mm.

I had neck surgery (this Aug will be 2 years) and I have not recovered yet C6 back in 2020 and C5 and C7 the last round. I am still having issues in my back and shoulders real bad so I havnt been shooting at all.. The Ruger looks a little dusty but still nice ;)

So While I wait for my body to heal I figured I might as well plan. Definitely going to build a left handed rifle with this Action.. but I want to build the 223 first then the right handed 308 and then the left handed one.. Maybe I can learn on the first ones and really bring it home on mine.

SO, what would you or are your plans to build? I am not familiar with any aspect of a bolt action but have been Reading (Gucci posts lol). Just kidding.
What Chassis?
Barrel?
Grip and so on... Lets do a couple options..

#1 No limit on money (how would you build it and why)?

#2 A medium budget build ( meaning it doesnt have to be the best of the best) just function.. I do not want to upgrade anything later if I dont have too so I would rather do this one time ( or 3 in my case).

So what would you do or for those that have bought one of these, what are your plans.. Again I have no real experience in bolt actions... but I have build a few Ar15.... SO this will be fun for me and I will pass these down at some time..

EDIT to add I like the Precision chassis so that is what I am looking at... XLR Envy looks nice... Or something close to it.

Thanks guys (and gals).

I ordered a LH and a RH action too, but the LH is for me and the RH for my son.

For me they’ll both have TriggerTech Diamond single stage triggers, and MPA chassis. Not sure about glass yet, maybe I’ll finally upgrade to NF. And we’ll have to see who offers prefits for them.

Reactions: Balor
Last edited:
Reactions: CaptNkllm
Ahh.Well you're starting with a good heart. I'm anxiously awaiting the LA lefty for a NM build. What are you going to use them for? Comp? Hunting? If hunting, what're you trying to kill and from what distance? I always start with cartridge and go from there. I know you said 223 and 308, but I would encourage you to go 6.5 creed and maybe Grendel or ARC. Go with the 223 if you must, they're fun. But I can just about guarantee you'll be on here downloading your 308 before too long if you really start getting into it. As for the rest, it's the golden age of precision rifle so pretty much all the reputable mfgs are making very good stuff. I personally like heavy contour (MTU) Krieger barrels, I like KRG chassis (btw, grips are highly subjective so you're on your own there), and Bix n Andy TS Pros . I like Euro glass so SB, Kahles, etc. but the Razors are also outstanding as is some of the Bushnell offerings. I tend to think a guy has to try, discard, and try again to really find stuff that works for him. Try to hit the Precision Rifle expo to finger doodads. Then, there's reloading ...lol

I ordered a long action with the 535 b.f. Right now I'm thinking 28 nosler, as I have a couple hundred pieces of virgin brass. I might switch bolt faces after I get it and build a 338 lapua mag or maybe one of the norma mags.

For now I'm thinking:
PVA light palma barrel
Manners lrh stock
Area 419 hellfire match
Either a BnA tacsport pro or timney hit
Nx8 4-32 in ARC rings

Ahh.Well you're starting with a good heart. I'm anxiously awaiting the LA lefty for a NM build. What are you going to use them for? Comp? Hunting? If hunting, what're you trying to kill and from what distance? I always start with cartridge and go from there. I know you said 223 and 308, but I would encourage you to go 6.5 creed and maybe Grendel or ARC. Go with the 223 if you must, they're fun. But I can just about guarantee you'll be on here downloading your 308 before too long if you really start getting into it. As for the rest, it's the golden age of precision rifle so pretty much all the reputable mfgs are making very good stuff. I personally like heavy contour (MTU) Krieger barrels, I like KRG chassis (btw, grips are highly subjective so you're on your own there), and Bix n Andy TS Pros . I like Euro glass so SB, Kahles, etc. but the Razors are also outstanding as is some of the Bushnell offerings. I tend to think a guy has to try, discard, and try again to really find stuff that works for him. Try to hit the Precision Rifle expo to finger doodads. Then, there's reloading ...lol
I figured the 223 for the kids and it would be more affordable down the road for shooting... I have just about every other popular caliber in weatherby, ruger, browning and so on.. So the hunting is covered.. As I am waiting for my neck to recover I have been reading about longrange shooting... Not ready to do reloading but I have a friend that loves it... So many projects now I dont have the room nor do I want to make the time right now. Not that it wont happen at some point but I have little motivation towards the idea at this point ( but that is pretty much everything with my neck hurting).

Now the funny part... September will be our 30th anniversary and I started putting in for the hunt in our state about 8 years ago and have not been drawn...lol.. So I have been building points towards the big game (elk, mountain lions and bighorn sheep). Not motivated for the hunt either but... main focus is for the grandkids then the kids after that.. I will have 4th grandkid in the next couple weeks... I want something to pass them with all the other stuff kind of thing..

So on to the question of what is the intentions? Probably long range fun and precision shooting.. Maybe if everyone gets involved we can all grow as a family or if nothing else the grandkids have fun.

I just want something that we can go shoot on the weekends and see where it goes... To me the money spent is being put on the family fun so I try not to put a price on that.. You only live once.. and the older I get.. the more I realize time is running out and Family is more important that the other Garbage thats going on in this world... and maybe we can find something that they can pass on to their children grandchildren and so on..

I am not to particular on scopes as I dont have the experience.. I just get shocked at how much they can get and if the money is well spent or not... so thats the basics.

Reactions: lash
What's the longest range you have in your area? I ask because if it's 300 or 400 yards, you can go build pretty much anything because even 22LR will get you that far. If, however, it's a mile, then we need to talk about ballistic performance because the 308 is going to struggle at 1000. That's not to say at 800 yards the bullet drops out of the sky, but going 6.5 CM just makes it easier. You said you wanted to go 308 for the cost savings, however I would argue that 6.5CM can be had for the same price or cheaper in some cases. But, if you want to push it (and you) a little further, you have the option of getting very good offerings from places like Copper Creek that are loaded with modern high BC bullets, consistent brass, and very close to handload quality. Below is a samples from a quick search of MidwayUSA. There are lots of options for both and prices depend on components and quality. A cartridge loaded with an ATip (a very good bullet from my experience) is going to be more expensive than your run of the mill BTHP. You can see that the cost savings isn't really there, especially when you figure in opportunity cost as it relates to capability. Even if you compare middle of the road 6.5CM like Hornady match at $2.15/rd to FGGM (an oldie but a goodie) 308 at $1.90/rd, it's still only $0.25/rd more to go to 6.5CM. And comparing Hornady Match to Hornady Match, there's no difference between the two except that you can double your effective range by choosing 6.5CM. I've taken my 6CM to a mile btw. Any way, you do you sir, just offering some data points.

308 Winchester
Hornady Black (cheap) - $1.90/rd
Federal Gold Medal Match - $1.90/rd
Hornady Match - $2.10/rd
Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger - $2.00/rd
Copper Creek 176gr Hornady A-TIP w/ Lapua brass (as good as factory gets) - $3.55/rd

6.5 CM
Hornady Precision Hunter - $2.40/rd
Hornady Match - $2.15/rd
Winchester cannon fodder - $1.23/rd
Aguila (more cannon fodder) - $1.35/rd
Copper Creek 135 A-Tip w/ Lapua brass (as good as factory gets) - $3.75/rd

FWIW I've done the fusion thing too, up in the C-7 region, it sucks. Take care of that first and keep those idiot surgeons from cutting on you anymore if you can. Trust me on this dude, they never make it better for any significant length of time, only worse - kinda like gun laws lol

Last edited:
I'm building a 2000 yard gun with the CDG action in .300 PRC. Not much budget limitation on this one except for maybe the suppressor, but since I already own it I'm using it.

CDG long action
Bartlein 30" 1:9 Custom Heavy barrel
MDT ACC Premier Long Action Chassis in FDE
Triggertech Diamond 2 stage trigger
ZCO 5-27 Scope
ARC M-Brace scope mount
Atlas 5H bipod w/ Area 419 Arca clamp
Long Shot Precision ELR bag rider
Wiebad cheek pad
Thunderbeast Ultra 7 Suppressor

As RockDoc stated you should look at the 6.5 Creedmoor instead of the .308 unless you really need the .308.

FWIW I've done the fusion thing too, up in the C-7 region, it sucks. Take care of that first and keep those idiot surgeons from cutting on you anymore if you can. Trust me on this dude, they never make it better for any significant length of time, only worse - kinda like gun laws lol
I had L5 S1 done a couple years before we started on the neck... Still need L4 fixed.. but my neck has been slow to heal.. I am almost nervous its at the point it might not get any better... still have enormous pain in my neck and shoulders.. its crazy and very slow to heal.. In defense of the surgery.. I have a big head and I use it all the time haaa

I asked the dr to take care of the l4 problem when he was in there fixing the other one... but he said thats not how they do it.. No preventative maintenance lol..Think it comes to money.

I was actually considering 6.5cr for my build.. It seems to be a better flatter option. We have desert here so no limit on shooting so I am looking at 500-1000 max at this point... after a couple years maybe we get excited about further.

Thanks to everyone that has responded... Its appreciated.

My CdG build is going to be a 308. Don’t let people talk you out of it. It’s a fun cartridge and doesn’t sounds like you’re shooting competition.

My plan is:
Proof carbon 16.5” 308 win barrel
ARC Xlyo chassis
Trigger tech special single stage trigger
TBAC cb brake for my can
With a Leupold mk6 3-18 on top

It’ll be a fun range gun that I can use to hunt if I want. Don’t overthink it. Build what YOU want. Not what others want

Appreciate the feedback .. when it comes to chassis .. I know it kind of comes to feel.. but more adjustability is better .. weights and I guess attachments . Was thinking a carbon fiber barrel.. I figured by a popular brand as I wouldn’t know the difference anyway at this point.

But I accessorize everything.. it’s a terrible habit.. and costly .

I’m not set on one caliber yet .. just leaning 6.5 cr for my left handed build .. the 223 and 308 so we can all work our way up the ladder. The older ones will like the kick of the 308 and the younger ones will appreciate the 223 .

I like the masterpiece chassis. But wondering if I should do a different one for each build. Maybe on the first two then finalize mine off those?

Well the best thing about chassis types and styles is that it’s very simple to swap out the barreled action from one to another. Just make sure that you get chassis types that are cut for trigger hangers since the CDG has one.

Last edited:
Well the best thing about chassis types and styles is that it’s very simple to swap out the barreled action from one to another. Just make sure that you get chassis types that are cut for trigger hangers since the CDG has one.
What chassis systems do you know of that are set up for this? Other than, obviously the Xylo??

I ordered a SA and plan on building a 6mm of some kind. I really like the fit and feel of the Xylo chassis. My only gripe is bore height is around 1.7" over the bottom arca. I prefer it over everything else I've used from the trigger back.

On the .308win vs 6.5cm I would suspect we will get back to where the prices are going to settle out. Previously .308win FGMM was running $0.80/rd and Hornady American Gunner 6.5cm ammo was the same.

The 308win has always been easier to find components for and ammo.

I never liked loading the 223rem. Too small for my fingers to easily handle, very personal reason i know. I find the 6br and grendels easier for me. Next one might be 6gt or 6cm. Something that will feed out of a AX mag without a kit or serious modifications.

My CdG build is going to be a 308. Don’t let people talk you out of it. It’s a fun cartridge and doesn’t sounds like you’re shooting competition.

My plan is:
Proof carbon 16.5” 308 win barrel
ARC Xlyo chassis
Trigger tech special single stage trigger
TBAC cb brake for my can
With a Leupold mk6 3-18 on top

It’ll be a fun range gun that I can use to hunt if I want. Don’t overthink it. Build what YOU want. Not what others want
That's gonna be sick AF. The Xylo with a shorty bull barrel on it will look like a sawed off shotgun! LOL.

Reactions: Rex_Allen
I am in for a 'plain vanilla' PRS build...
- CDG RH,SA, fixed handle
- IBI Viking MTU fluted 26" barrel
- 6 Dasher chambering, Alpha reamer .274 neck, .125 fb
- not sure about the trigger, but it will be in the 8-10 oz hence the fixed handle. I will try the pivoting one later on. Straight shoe.
- Xylo chassis as I want this really to run AW mags out of the box. A couple of pounds of internal handguard weights to achieve good balance in a 18-19# overall weight for the rifle.
- TMB tuner & muzzle brake
- ARC Mbrace and ZCO 527

Reactions: lash
I'm in the process of a .223 build (trued 700 SA). I'm going with a Krieger heavy varmint contour at 26" this time and McM A4.

The same rifle had a 20" Remington varmint contour and H-S stock in its previous life. Recoil was equivalent to an AR with a brake, so I'm expecting even less with another 4-5 pounds on it.

I've got a few .308s, and a couple 6.5x47s. But the real sweet spot for a trainer with someone learning to shoot is the .223 IMO.

My Son is 21 (married) Daughter is 26 (married). Son, Daughter and son inlaw know how to shoot... Son in law needs some more practice on all things... I practiced safety with my kids from a young age and they have their own rifles and pistols (thank you Dad). They all like shooting but we havnt done much since my surgeries... This recovery has taken so long that I decided a few things a few weeks ago... Time is slipping... We all were in an accident and its been a long recovery for me and my daughter and semi my wife though she is pretty beaten up but functions better..

I and going to take everyone out to shoot more often as soon as it gets warm enough for me... Cant see how you guys do it in the snow but I get it.

Now on to the main purpose of these builds... My oldest granddaughter is 5 and her brother is 3 and my daughter is about to have her last one (because of medical) another girl. My son just had his little girl... Now the point is to build these for them really but all the testing and practice will be done for a little bit with their parents.. I have them some 22 cal rifles and I have been working on the oldest with you tube... She is nervous about a lot of things and she doesnt like peas by the way... She will let you know if she is angry sad and so on... a real character.. She will be the tough one... butt if I break them in slow I think we will be ok.

Now it dawned on me yesterday about contours... Preference and scope fitment? sound right? So you wont have to go with such tall rings?
I want to order a silencer for them at some point.. maybe now so I can get them before I die lol.

Reactions: HemiPowrd
So far I have ordered a Barrel.. I was able to get in on the pre order with Patriot Valley arms... just one barrel in 6.5 creedmoor

Looking at the

Accuracy International AT-X AICS Rem 700 Short​

I want a red color I think... any issues with trigger hanger or magazines on this chassis the with the ARC Grace?

I have it in the cart but wanted to ask before purchase..Also notice the bolt handle area is not cut out.. can this be made into a left handed? If so maybe I will get two of these

Attachments

• AICS-AT-X-Header.jpg
    AICS-AT-X-Header.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 46
  • acc.jpg
    acc.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 44
So far I have ordered a Barrel.. I was able to get in on the pre order with Patriot Valley arms... just one barrel in 6.5 creedmoor

Looking at the

Accuracy International AT-X AICS Rem 700 Short​

I want a red color I think... any issues with trigger hanger or magazines on this chassis the with the ARC Grace?

I have it in the cart but wanted to ask before purchase..Also notice the bolt handle area is not cut out.. can this be made into a left handed? If so maybe I will get two of these
It does not look like it supports left handed actions unfortunately.

I bought 3 actions ..Lefty will be the last delivered me thinks. I put this in the cart and got busy and when I went to finish the purchase I somehow lost the website... So I will get back to it in a few days..