• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coup De Grace vs Nucleus or Origin

Right ..... cost of nominal sizes and availability of nominal over special order sizing. Usually is still more cost effective with shorter lead times. At least in our shop. We're one of the largest tool manufacturers in the world. So being able to source material from any available vendor come to play quite often.

Stainless and aluminum I'd a whole different animal

My thoughts also. It just seems an adjustable barrel nut would be almost foolproof whereas a shoulder has to be perfect. I'm looking forward in stock prefits and versatility so that rules out ARC although having all 5 bolt face sizes and an adjustable trigger hanger are hugely attractive features.

So for me it was down to Solus and Origin.
Tried and true or new and improved? I rolled the dice and bought a Solus and am just hoping the make bolt heads later.

I'm definitely a fan of the Savage style barrel nut. So many barrel prefits available, ease of getting headspace right and caliber swapping is super easy also.

I like the integral lug and rail along with the double plungers and the 3 lug 60 degree bolt throw.

A great many fools have blown up their guns on incorrectly head-spaced nut barrels.

Reactions: brianf
I’m a big fan of barrel nuts too, but on a non shit action there is no reason not to have a shoulder. Provided your smith is worth a shit and knows how to work a lathe.
Fair point unless, like me, you’re trying to get the gunsmith, the wait time and shipping hassles out of the equation. Much simpler to buy a prefit, have it sent to you and spending 5 minutes in the garage with a pair of gages and a torque wrench.

Reactions: wade2big
A great many fools have blown up their guns on incorrectly head-spaced nut barrels.
Well fools gonna fool. Hell you can watch a 5 minute YouTube video to learn how to set headspace. If they’re dumb enough to Darwin Award their gun that’s on them. But I don’t make decisions based on the cognitive capabilities of the lowest IQ kid on the short bus. 🫣🤓

I’m just pointing out, it’s much farther from foolproof than a shouldered prefit.

Reactions: Jeff1208
My thoughts also. It just seems an adjustable barrel nut would be almost foolproof whereas a shoulder has to be perfect. I'm looking forward in stock prefits and versatility so that rules out ARC although having all 5 bolt face sizes and an adjustable trigger hanger are hugely attractive features.

So for me it was down to Solus and Origin.
Tried and true or new and improved? I rolled the dice and bought a Solus and am just hoping the make bolt heads later.

I'm definitely a fan of the Savage style barrel nut. So many barrel prefits available, ease of getting headspace right and caliber swapping is super easy also.

I like the integral lug and rail along with the double plungers and the 3 lug 60 degree bolt throw.

Depends on your cartridge, between myself and my brother we are running 6.5 PRC, 30-06 and 7 PRC in 3 CDG actions with standard savage prefit barrels and not one hiccup among them. So that covers SA Mag, LA Standard and LA Mag all running fine without a coned breach.

after reading this thread it’s still unclear if CDG is an impact 737 or GAP Tempest killer

Reactions: hseII
after reading this thread it’s still unclear if CDG is an impact 737 or GAP Tempest killer

One of the advantages of the 737 is that prefits are plentiful, from many vendors. Darn near every vendor that does prefits will do them for a 737. Barely used ones are also plentiful in the classified section too, at deep discounts.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
Just be sure to come back and thank us when the price on the CDG bumps up to where it should be, and you realize what a crazy deal you got.
Well now I'm still unsure what to do tbh - I just spec'd everything out and I'm at $3,250 before gunsmithing (not using prefit). and the ATX is $4,250 right now. What's a guy to do? I feel like either going full custom or ATX I can't go wrong.

One of the advantages of the 737 is that prefits are plentiful, from many vendors. Darn near every vendor that does prefits will do them for a 737. Barely used ones are also plentiful in the classified section too, at deep discounts.

So that brings me to another question, are there really that many Lone Peak, Impact, Falkor, Terminus and similar actions to justify Proof making a specific barrels for them or do they use a barrel tenon and Headspace that matches an existing pattern that Proof already makes so they just rebrand them?

I’d guess that there are more ARC actions out there than Falkor yet Falkor has prefits and ARC does not.

Reactions: giumau1
So that brings me to another question, are there really that many Lone Peak, Impact, Falkor, Terminus and similar actions to justify Proof making a specific barrels for them or do they use a barrel tenon and Headspace that matches an existing pattern that Proof already makes so they just rebrand them?

I’d guess that there are more ARC actions out there than Falkor yet Falkor has prefits and ARC does not.
No, very different patterns between most of those actions.

The ARC is way newer than the Falkor, and by the time ordering started, Ted hadn’t even spoken to proof yet(to my knowledge). Cant be far off, but it wouldnt hurt to tell ARC and Proof that youre interested in proof prefits. We should all do this. Id like to see some other steel contour other than the Comp as well.

Well now I'm still unsure what to do tbh - I just spec'd everything out and I'm at $3,250 before gunsmithing (not using prefit). and the ATX is $4,250 right now. What's a guy to do? I feel like either going full custom or ATX I can't go wrong.
The CDG is the more versitile action, with a much more pleasant feel. This is coming from a AI fanboy extraordinaire.

Ive been playing with my Tempest lately. Uncanny how similar it feels to the AI. Butter in the raceway, but quite clunky on bolt close. The CDG feels broken its so smooth on bolt close.

Ive been playing with my Tempest lately. Uncanny how similar it feels to the AI. Butter in the raceway, but quite clunky on bolt close. The CDG feels broken its so smooth on bolt close.

I just spoke with my gunsmith and he’s only going to set me back $450 for chambering and spinning the barrel. So I guess the custom route wins! I also have an ax338 so I get my accuracy international rocks off too.

Gonna order the CDG tomorrow since it’s payday and commit to the thing.

I’m throwing it in an ATX chassis though 100%

Reactions: kthomas
No, very different patterns between most of those actions.

The ARC is way newer than the Falkor, and by the time ordering started, Ted hadn’t even spoken to proof yet(to my knowledge). Cant be far off, but it wouldnt hurt to tell ARC and Proof that youre interested in proof prefits. We should all do this. Id like to see some other steel contour other than the Comp as well.
I was referring to ARC in general rather than the CDG specifically. They had the same tenon for all three actions so that’s a lot of potential customers.

Reactions: Supersubes
I picked the CDG because it's beautiful. There is no other rifle action as beautiful and interesting as the CDG. Enough people have used regular, non-coned-breech barrels with standard rifle cartridges in it that I don't feel locked into needing that feature on a barrel, though it's preferred.

I had an Origin and it was nice, but it's also just a well done generic action. The Solus is probably also a well done generic action, but it's soulless and devoid of beauty, so I don't really care if it functions well - it's boring.

I picked the CDG because it's beautiful. There is no other rifle action as beautiful and interesting as the CDG. Enough people have used regular, non-coned-breech barrels with standard rifle cartridges in it that I don't feel locked into needing that feature on a barrel, though it's preferred.

I had an Origin and it was nice, but it's also just a well done generic action. The Solus is probably also a well done generic action, but it's soulless and devoid of beauty, so I don't really care if it functions well - it's boring.
Are you saying the Solus is …. soulless?🫣🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: rijndael
The CDG is the more versitile action, with a much more pleasant feel. This is coming from a AI fanboy extraordinaire.
Is the CDG the one to go with for a true change barrel rifle?

Is there anything that one really gives up to go with the CDG over say a

1. Terminus Zeus Long Action with the Quick change feature.
2. Big Horn TL-3
3. Impact 757
4. Defiance ANTI action with set screw.

Looking at doing 2 long actions with changeable bolt faces & switch barrels.

2. Big Horn TL-3
3. Impact 757

Any action custom action these days is a switch barrel. The interchangable bolt heads make it a bit easier, and only one of the actions you listed has that. Yes, I like the CDG over all of the actions you listed.

2. Big Horn TL-3
3. Impact 757

I have the Defiance Anti LA Mag that weighs 23.2 ozs on my scale. That’s as light as I’ve seen anywhere. If you’re looking for set screws the Zeus is the only one in that list that has that stock. But if you’re trying to keep the budget intact I would go with an interchangeable bolt head. They’re listed at $175 for the Coup de Gras action and $125 on the Bighorn.

If you’re looking for interchangeable why would you need two actions? The whole point is money saving , modularity and familiarity with your gear.

Between the Origin and CDG, I'd say go with whatever is in stock.
Integrated rail/lug aside, there's not enough to quibble over. I'd take the CDG first due to the afore mentioned, but it's not like you're giving up anything by not having the integrated rail/lug.

I just spoke with my gunsmith and he’s only going to set me back $450 for chambering and spinning the barrel. So I guess the custom route wins! I also have an ax338 so I get my accuracy international rocks off too.

Gonna order the CDG tomorrow since it’s payday and commit to the thing.

I’m throwing it in an ATX chassis though 100%
Have you seen the Masterpiece Arms website? They have what you’re looking for. They just switched over to the CDC action in all their builds. Barreled actions custom calibers and contours. $1699!

The entire gun with their chassis and a Bix n Andy trigger is around $2675! You can’t buy the components and screw it together yourself and cheaper and the wait time is listed at 10-12 weeks.

For another $125 you can get any color cerakote you want. I’m just himming and hawing on 6BR or 6 Dasher.

Have you seen the Masterpiece Arms website? They have what you’re looking for. They just switched over to the CDC action in all their builds. Barreled actions custom calibers and contours. $1699!

The entire gun with their chassis and a Bix n Andy trigger is around $2675! You can’t buy the components and screw it together yourself and cheaper and the wait time is listed at 10-12 weeks.

For another $125 you can get any color cerakote you want. I’m just himming and hawing on 6BR or 6 Dasher.
That's tough to beat given the chassis.

Altus has Origin actions with Proofs for $1495, but they havent had anything in stock in forever.

The best deal going is a $900 Origin or CDG, and one of PVAs Nut Barrels for on sale for $365ish.

Barreled action for under $1,400
Add in a Bravo and a Timney, and you're at $1,770
That's impossible to beat.