• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing couple hits and misses

Okoyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Watertown, SD, USA
I was lucky enough to get the day off of work and wanted to try some new land I picked up this summer. The Interstate borders one side and the the property has some nice coulees topped by cropland. This is the kind of terrain I focus on. Plenty of food, cover, water and corridors to make great coyote habitat.

The morning was very foggy. The upside is that the coyotes seem to move bravely to the call. The downside is that it is very difficult to spot them. The first stand highlights these statements.

On the way to the property I stopped at a spot that has roads that pass close and there tends to be a lot of traffic going by. This spot would normally be reserved to call at night, but the fog changes the rules. As I drive by, I can see one coyote and soon see two. They let me pass and I park a quarter mile away to call a set. I sit trying to cover 2 lanes that I think they will use. Just a couple toots on the crit-r-call standard and 5 minutes later I have a coyote standing 60 yards in front of me. . . . and I didn't see it come. I'm pegged and the rifle is not in a good position for a shot. The stare off is on and I moved first. The result is a couple coyotes disappearing into the fog as I shoot in vain.

I get to the next property and sit to call. It's a deep draw with corn stubble on one side and bean stubble on the other.

Dang foggy!! My view is limited at about 200 yards.

IMGP1243.jpg

Eight minutes into the set I see a buck whitetail shadow moving down a fenceline. I put my binos on it and spot the shadow of a coyote coming to the call! Again, I'm not in good position and slowly turn anticipating the shot. The coyote peeks around the cornerpost, makes a 180, and is out of there in a hurry.

I spend a couple hours scoping out the area and waiting for the fog to burn off. When I could see a mile or so another attempt is made back at the same property. I set up near some cattle and a few minutes into the set they alert me that a coyote is on the way. The coyote moves toward the cattle and runs right next to them into the draw with my FX5 playing jackrabbit distress. The coyote goes down hard with a .204 45 grain bullet in the chest at 95 yards.

The coyote is circled in the picture from my vantage point.

IMGP1245-2.jpg

These cattle are loving the action!!

IMGP1246.jpg

IMGP1249.jpg

The next set is maybe a 400 yards from the previous set and is chosen because of a cow carcass and tons of coyote sign.

Cow soup! The stink was impressive!!

IMGP1251.jpg

A couple howls are followed by jackrabbit distress. 15 minutes later I have a coyote standing directly downwind behind me. The coyote is distracted by the foxpro in the draw and I am able to turn the 180 degrees to make the shot. The coyote drops in its tracks at 125 yards.

IMGP1258.jpg

The next set is also started off with a howl followed by jackrabbit distress and coyote ears are seen bouncing along the opposite side of a fenceline. At the first opening I take a shot at 250 when the coyote stops to take a peek. I miss and the coyote lives another day. In hindsight, I should have let the stand play out a little longer. Not many days calling where I don't learn something new or take home better experience.

So a couple of hits and few misses. Hunting in the fog is a lot like hunting at night and can be fun. Any day can be a good day to call!!

Re: couple hits and misses

cant wait to get my sights on one of those. havent had any luck yet this year.

thanks for the nice write up and pics Okoyote, gettin ready to drop the hammer here, still got lots of gut piles them dogs are filln up on, i'll give it another week or two...

Enjoyed the report and pics. The ranges you can glass and see out there are amazing. Here in the south I often end up with a dog popping out right on me in woods. I have some good areas I can set up with 700 yds or so sight but I can only hunt those so often.