• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple Kestrel questions

chadrp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
This will be a long post but here is the background,
Was using a Kestrel 5500ag and AB mobile app and now purchased the sportsman and upgraded to elite.

1, is there a way to tell or know which bullet you are using in the kestrel other than label it in the gun profile??

I assume the answer is no, but here is why I ask. In mobile you can add multiple bullets per gun so I have only ever used 140eldm bullets in factory and now handloading and had a profile for each. When you go into mobile you select gun, then bullet and carry on..

When I set up the kestrel in the ballistic app I selected the 140eldm from the library (did not use any of the () ones), and used custom curve as it was accurate for me in mobile. Dope seemed to reasonably match mobile so I go to a match to use it and I can't hit squat at distance. I get home and shoot a know target at distance and my kestrel dope is off so I say heck with the custom and switch it to the g7 profile and it gives me a bc of .243....i say that seems awfully low for the eldm and I have to raise it to over .300 to get my data to line up. So I go my other gun and its exactly the same with a .243 g7bc and that dope is off. I then go into the link app and pull the 140eldm bullet from the library but this time i use g7 instead of the custom and it gives me a bc of .291 so I don't know how but somehow some where I got a different curve and bc bullet loaded in the kestrel for 2 seperate guns as it still shows a .264 140 gr with a g7 of .243 and I have no idea what bullet that might be....

Which leads me to also ask, if there is no way to know which bullet is being used in the kestrel is there a way to lock the bullet info?? Because using the bc I've notice that once I've adjusted my g7 bc to say .300 from .291 and I accidentally bump from g7 to custom and back to g7 it puts the bc back to .291 and I've lost my trying bc...

Thanks

Last edited:
I make multiple profiles for each gun. It will read something like XXXX suppressed130 ELDM, XXXX unsuppressed130ELDM etc. I haven't run out of spaces to load guns...maybe I should get some more guns.

Thanks, yes I understand thats how its going to be. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how did I manage to select a completely different bullet profile from within the kestrel as the g1 and g7 numbers in the kestrel don't match the numbers in the same guns in the link app.

Thanks, yes I understand thats how its going to be. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how did I manage to select a completely different bullet profile from within the kestrel as the g1 and g7 numbers in the kestrel don't match the numbers in the same guns in the link app.
Where did you update the data and did you download/upload correctly? If you change it in the kestrel then linked it, it may have overwritten your data to newer data in the app. After the first time I got the option to overwrite I started making all my changes in the kestrel then download the profiles to the phone only and never change them there. I run the AB app separate from the kestrel app when I'm goofing around.

I am the the guy that would loose all my data because I wanted to see what a 150 grain .22 caliber bullet would do at 4000 fps one day:oops:

Where did you update the data and did you download/upload correctly? If you change it in the kestrel then linked it, it may have overwritten your data to newer data in the app. After the first time I got the option to overwrite I started making all my changes in the kestrel then download the profiles to the phone only and never change them there. I run the AB app separate from the kestrel app when I'm goofing around.

I am the the guy that would loose all my data because I wanted to see what a 150 grain .22 caliber bullet would do at 4000 fps one day:oops:
Lol I'm with you if I can lose it I will.

I've only uploaded changes from my phone to the kestrel. Any intentional change I would have made would have been in my phone and then written to the kestrel which is why I'm confused. I dont know how to access the bullet library from whithin the kestrel to make bullet changes which is probably what I screwed up. The gun and bullet profiles in my phone in my phone are correct and I know can just overwrite it but don't want to till I figure out what I did wrong.

Just figured it out, .243 is the default when go from custom to G7 in the kestrel. If you're still in custom it should say 1.000 for the BC. If you select G7 it's waiting for you to tell it the BC.

Hmm ok well I guess I don't like that either when I'm used to being able switch between gi, g7, and custom in mobile when its pulled from the library.

Doesnt make alot of sense to me why it would only give you the custom and not the g1 and g7 also to go off of if it gives you the option to switch to g1 or g7 and you have to input that when its already in there.

12 characters is definitely not enough characters to describe the info im using then! Lol thanks

My gun profiles are the bullet names “190 hybrid”
When it’s trued up I add TRU to the name.

usually I create profiles using my phone app and transfer them over.

Some of the data for the ELDM’s have been wonky.
Part of building a good profile is experience with a bullet and a known working BC.
I’ve had to tinker with the 3 ELDM bullets BC i have experience with If shooting long range with them.

The Berger BC is usually a lot closer or spot on.

I usually true up my profiles over a few range trips to make sure one days weird conditions don’t skew the results.

Reactions: seansmd
Did you put your muzzle vel in and true it?

All custom curves have been the most accurate curves I have ever used once trued for all the eldm bullets

Did you put your muzzle vel in and true it?

All custom curves have been the most accurate curves I have ever used once trued for all the eldm bullets
I’m going to have to try out the 140 ELD CDM compared to my trued g7 I currently use.
That’s the only ELD I still shoot.

My gun profiles are the bullet names “190 hybrid”
When it’s trued up I add TRU to the name.

usually I create profiles using my phone app and transfer them over.

Some of the data for the ELDM’s have been wonky.
Part of building a good profile is experience with a bullet and a known working BC.
I’ve had to tinker with the 3 ELDM bullets BC i have experience with If shooting long range with them.

The Berger BC is usually a lot closer or spot on.

I usually true up my profiles over a few range trips to make sure one days weird conditions don’t skew the results.
Yeah I'm hosed on names with 3 different rifles of the same caliber with using factory and handloads and soon to add supressed or not.

I think I will just erase everything and start all over now that I know that when you switch from a custom curve to a g7 it just gives you a default number instead of the g7bc of the bullet you have the custom curve for. I was trying to simplify things by one device instead of 2 but maybe I should have stuck with what worked lol

Last edited:
Other than the few onboard stored bullets, the device itself does not have an editable library. Different device models (ie Ruger, 5700 Elite, etc..) have different preset libraries on the device. If you use the app to send data over and in doing so use the library in the app, then it sends the profile and nothing more. The device only sees the data in the profile and no extra information. The G1, G7, and CDM data is stored in the encrypted library in the app.

If you want to make changes to a profile it is always best to do it from the App.

Ok thank you for the info. Seeing that you could switch between g1, g7, and custom in the kestrel i guess i just assumed all that info for all 3 was there for that particular bullet taken from the library the way you can in the Ab mobile app.