• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Couple of nigtforce questions

jakermeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Cortez, CO
I tried searching but couldn't fine my answers.

1. when buying a used nightforce, does nightforce uphold their warranties?

2. what magnification do you range with on the 3.5-15 models (SFP)?

Looking to buy a nightforce some time in october
smile.gif

Thanks,
Jake

Re: Couple of nigtforce questions

I am not sure about NF warranty, but if I had to guess, I would say that they back their product.

On all SFP NXS scopes, you range on the max power, except for the 8-32 and 12-42. On these, you range at 22x.

To answer question 1 their warranty is bulletproof. You can talk to several guys on this site. They've even been known to honor the warranty to a second or third hand buyer. Buying one of their products is the best money I've ever spent.

Thanks for you replies. I've seen a few deals in the for sale section. I'm hoping to pay off my truck and hold out for the F1.
smile.gif

F1 is cool, but you cannot go wrong with a standard SFP NXS. I have a few of them and love them.

I think i might go with a SFP. I've never had to dial any of my Falcons down (FFP too).

+1 on the SFP. I have the 3.5-15x50 NXS (F2) w/the MLR reticle, 0.1 mrad turrets, Zero Stop. Ken Pratt at NF talked me out of the F1 version, which for my purposes (5.56, target shooting 100 to ~600 yd) would not have been ideal due to focus issues from the reticle changing size at different mag. That discussion saved me quite a bit of $$$. Range estimation at 15X is dead on, even though I don't use it for that very often. Couldn't be happier with it.

Okay. So one more question. If I dial in my elevation for a long shot, can I use any magnification level? example 5.3 mils to 700 yards and use it on 10x magnification instead of 15x.

yeah, i would think that it is logical that as long as you're aiming with the target at the cross hairs and not using any hold over. Otherwise, the holdover point would change. At least that's the way i see it.

The quick answer is yes. The turrets don't know what mag you're using. However, it's a little more complicated than that.

On an F2 scope, as you decrease the mag, an object used to estimate a measure of distance decreases in size to your eye. The reticle does not. Therefore, an object that exactly spans (subtends) the distance between two hashmarks at 15X mag will only span span 1/2 that distance at 7.5X mag, because the object got smaller to your eye by one half and the reticle stayed the same. Because the real (actual) size of the object (length or width) didn't change as you changed the mag, that means the distance value denoted between two hashmarks did change. In this case, 1.0 mil between two hashmarks at 15X is equal to 2.0 mil at 7.5X for the purpose of range estimation. Put another way, an object that exactly spans two hashmarks at 15X will only subtend 1/2 that distance at 7.5X. If you understand this and know the correct mag for which your turrets are calibrated (as mentioned above, 15X for a 3.5-15x50 NXS, for example), an F2 scope can be used to estimate distance at different mags. However, doing the math in your head with different mag values can be pretty challenging.

On an F1 scope, both the size of the reticle and the size of the viewed object change proportionally as you change the mag. So if an object exactly spans the distance between two hashmarks at 15X, it will still do so at 7.5X, because both the object and the reticle got smaller to your eye. This makes it much easier and more reliable to estimate range using the hashmarks.

So back to your question. As long as your range estimation is accurate, and you know how much elevation you need, the turret click value is independent of the mag factor. However, if you use an F2 scope to estimate range that is set on some mag other than that for which it has been calibrated and don't take the above into account, then your elevation (and the click value you want) will be off.

Thanks for the info. I have a range finder but i do practice ranging with a reticle once in a blue moon. I just wanted to know if i would be able to dial down when i coyote hunt. I guess the SFP should get me on target quicker at close range. I got too use to the falcon
smile.gif

I live in a downtown area and got to testing out range estimation on buildings that are known distances away from mine. I ended up using the width of a brick in the buildings to do this at different mags with the NF 3.5-15x50, just to see if it would work reliably at different mags. It turns out that a brick is exactly 8 inches wide and I just happened to find a table on Wikipedia that uses 8 inches as its distance estimator. Here is the link if interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil

Thanks for the link, I am still trying to decide between a SFP and a FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in a downtown area and got to testing out range estimation on buildings that are known distances away from mine. I ended up using the width of a brick in the buildings to do this at different mags with the NF 3.5-15x50, just to see if it would work reliably at different mags. It turns out that a brick is exactly 8 inches wide and I just happened to find a table on Wikipedia that uses 8 inches as its distance estimator. Here is the link if interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil </div></div>

You always range on the highest power with SFP scopes, on another note I love my NXS 3.5x15-50. Best value on the market scope wise IMHO.

Spoke with Nightforce on the very issue of the warranty on a second hand scope some time back and they will honor it.

head2h20,

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll keep searching the for sale section
smile.gif
I've been seeing a few NIB scopes for sale too!

I do not think you have given enough info to answer the question. Are you talking FFP or SFP with your third question?
IF ffp, you can range at any power if sfp no.
I cannot concieve of many circumstances where you would want to dial down to shoot. Unless it got darker or mirage grew worse.