• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Couple of Noob Questions

JerkeeJoe

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 5, 2006
Las Vegas
I just started reloading and have a couple of questions. I'm starting reloading for my Remington 700 5R .308. I 'm loading once fired brass using a rockchucker with RCBS competition dies.

1 - I loaded 20 rounds before I realized that the cases were longer than the max case length. They chamber fine. Are these rounds safe to shoot, or should I not shoot them?

2 - Using a Hornady OAL gauge, I figured that my max OAL before the bullet touches the rifling is 2.946 (or 3.370" measured using a hornady comparator). This seems really long to me. In fact, I don't even thing I can load the 175 smk's this long. So, I loaded them to 2.847"(or 3.271" measured with a comparator). Do any of these measurements sound like anything to worry about, or should I just shut up and keep loading?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Joe

Re: Couple of Noob Questions

sounds like you're par for course, being it a factory Rem.
My coal to lands is 2.94, and ofcourse I load them to mag length, which is 2.86..
As for the case length, should be trimmed to SAAMI spec of 2.005, but really anywhere between there and 2.015 is safe.

I think the untrimmed brass was 2.022ish. Should I take these loaded rounds apart and start over?

"Should I take these loaded rounds apart and start over?"

No. If they chamber easily don't sweat it.

Most chambers are significantly longer tham the book "max" case lenght. Your's isn't going to notice .007".

I actually post as andielouroo (the name is a long story) over there, and I'm planning on coming. Thanks for the heads up.

Joe