• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Coveralls for ghillie suit?

Equus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2013
Southern Indiana
Does anyone have any advice as to the overall utility of using a set of coveralls for a ghillie? In theory it seems the idea could have some comfort advantages, but I've never worn one either 1 or 2 piece.

Does that mean no one does it? Are there some serious drawbacks to the 1 piece? Or is 2 piece used because like most of us former military guys, there are seabags full of old uniforms sitting in the basement? I would use some of my old woodlands, unfortunately I'm not size skinny anymore.

I remember a couple of flightsuit based ghillies back in the 80s.

Not sure how well that would work but you made me chuckle a little. I had visions of a redneck ghillie when I thought of using coveralls.

Coveralls are not common in ghillie suits for a few reasons in my opinion. They are hot and don't breath well. Don't dry particularly quickly and they force you to carry and use a full ghillie all the time. Most of the time if a ghillie suit was needed, we only took our veils and sometimes our ghillie tops. Almost never took our ghillie bottoms.

Also, whatever you use, I suggest using something that is big enough to go over top of whatever clothing you are wearing rather than having to take clothes off and put a ghillie on in place of them. We used the old MOPP suits after cutting the charcoal liners out. Very hot to wear but they got us by.

Last edited: