• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Covering your muzzle in the field

96C

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2007
    Aust
    Gents,

Do you cover your muzzle while in the field?

If so... What is your preferred method?

- ear plug tucked into the pipe
    - electrical tape covering the whole crown
    - camera film case taped over
    - etc?

I generally will use a single piece of electrical tape just to keep crud out.

Thanks for your input lads

Re: Covering your muzzle in the field

I've always used duct tape, both on my personal weapons and crew served weapons when I was deployed in the sand box.

I have used a little piece of plastic bag held in place by a rubber band. You can shoot it and reposition the bag to get several uses out of the same piece.

Of course you must use the tactical dark green lawn and leaf bags.

The green water balloons that are OD and look like frags. Theyre cheap and small, so you can fit several in your admin pouch. Also, they are small enough that over a heavy barrel, they fit nice and snug. Plus, they only take seconds to get off and on.

If its stupid and it works, it aint stupid.
    laugh.gif

i prefer the thick pink balloons with the cool rubber band handles or you can use a sock imho.

I go to the hardware store and get the proper diameter round black rubber stoppers that they sell for table abd chair legs so that they don't scratch tour wood floors. They are extremely durable and protect the crown really well.

When I am on a couple day hike or trekking, I then take a piece of cord and attach it to the center or the rubber stopper and zip tie it to my barrel. With this stopper attached you can literally place the end of your rifle barrel on the ground.

They look like this:
    998022423_102607_ankv.jpg

Electrical tape...can't see messing with anything else. Just slap on a new piece when you shoot through the old one.

Thanks for your input guys! Definately some good methods here
    smile.gif

Those chair leg covers seem like a solid reusable idea.. Nice one

I us office supply "sticky dots".

, keeps rain, sand or birdy poo out of the bore ,

,simply shoot through, and replace later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They look like this:
    </div></div>

Nipple covers for the Yeti??? LOL

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They look like this:
    </div></div>

Nipple covers for the Yeti??? LOL

Keith </div></div>

HA, HA very funny KS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to the hardware store and get the proper diameter round black rubber stoppers that they sell for table abd chair legs so that they don't scratch tour wood floors. They are extremely durable and protect the crown really well.

When I am on a couple day hike or trekking, I then take a piece of cord and attach it to the center or the rubber stopper and zip tie it to my barrel. With this stopper attached you can literally place the end of your rifle barrel on the ground.

They look like this:
    </div></div>

I understand the drill, take the cover and shoot, however have you ever, due to haste or just forgot the presence of the cover, shot through your cover? If so, how much did it effect the POI.

The reason I am asking, during the P100 after a rain delay at Perry we shot 600, my first shot was at 7 at 6, without question I made a full value correction and the next shot was a 7 at 12, went back to my normal zero and cleaned the rest. I lost 6 points in 2 shots. When I got off the line my scorer said that I launched my plastic muzzle cover on my rifle with my first shot. I was even surprised that it hit paper. I missed P100 that year by one point...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to the hardware store and get the proper diameter round black rubber stoppers that they sell for table abd chair legs so that they don't scratch tour wood floors. They are extremely durable and protect the crown really well.

They look like this:
    </div></div>

I understand the drill, take the cover and shoot, however have you ever, due to haste or just forgot the presence of the cover, shot through your cover? If so, how much did it effect the POI.

The reason I am asking, during the P100 after a rain delay at Perry we shot 600, my first shot was at 7 at 6, without question I made a full value correction and the next shot was a 7 at 12, went back to my normal zero and cleaned the rest. I lost 6 points in 2 shots. When I got off the line my scorer said that I launched my plastic muzzle cover on my rifle with my first shot. I was even surprised that it hit paper. I missed P100 that year by one point... </div></div>

I've left it on shooting at 300 yards and still hit a 15" plate. I don't think it will change MOA accuracy. Competition is probably a different matter. It is great for when outdoors. It's nice to be able to put the barrel crown on the ground sometimes and not worry about damage. I built my rifle to take abuse and that was the one weakness. These rubber stops allow me to no worry about crown damge or bore obstructions. It also keeps the rain and grit out.

do you use the super soft rubber or the much more rigid plasticcy ones?

the sticky dots is a good idea also, no shortage of those and they'd cover the whole muzzle crown area

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finger condoms......</div></div>

+1, if I bother at all.

Suppressors work well too
    wink.gif

Anything adhesive is either going to come off or leave a bunch of residue all over your crown, or both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do you use the super soft rubber or the much more rigid plasticcy ones?

the sticky dots is a good idea also, no shortage of those and they'd cover the whole muzzle crown area </div></div>

Soft rubber.

Black sticky dots. The air ahead of the bullet blow 'em off before the bullet gets there. Using them small black shoot-n-see stickers is neato, makes an awesome work of art if you can find 'em...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The green water balloons that are OD and look like frags. Theyre cheap and small, so you can fit several in your admin pouch. Also, they are small enough that over a heavy barrel, they fit nice and snug. Plus, they only take seconds to get off and on.

If its stupid and it works, it aint stupid.
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

damn good idea, my 6 year old has a bunch of those

Gaffers tape, it is super strong and does not leave any residue behind. Works well for me!

JH

if the old hide gets too windy i just apply a generous swatch of shutty tape to her muzzle.

There is a muzzle cover made by a company called shoot through which are made specifically for this purpose and they are inexpensive and can be ordered in bulk. As the name of the company suggests they can be shot through without affecting your acurracy... though im sure you competition guys will find that it does. i used them in afghan and they work great, but if all else fails a cigarette butt in the tube and you cant go wrong, air will push it out before the round has a chance to hit it... but it may throw off your barrel harmonics ever so slightly.

Black powder shooters have even more at stake, humidity can cause misfires. One of more of the black powder accessory suppliers makes muzzle protectors. They are simply black colored surgical finger covers. The little green water balloons are plenty good enough and functionally identical to the muzzle protectors, which are priced like solid gold condoms.

Greg

I had been using an ear plug, but I think I will be going to Lowes for chair leg protector thingy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Electrical Tape....is your friend </div></div>

+1. Any residue, which I've never noticed, is easily removed with Hoppe's #9 or rubbing alcohol.

+1 Electrical tape

+1 Electrical tape. Put a roll in your pack and you will never run out or have to find it after you fire.

Ok fellas, take it up a notch... What do you do with your brake equipped rifles?

Same electrical tape! 40,000 to 68,000 psi will easily move tape without moving the bullet. The air pressure in front of the bullet will blow most of it off. Try the tape and after the first shot see if the tape is in the muzzle brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok fellas, take it up a notch... What do you do with your brake equipped rifles?</div></div>

i shoot them.......

All depends on which brake you are running with, most would work with tape as stated above, but when employing our M107's it would take way too much tape to cover that brake, so we use and love an OD green sock. METTC.

I use finger condoms with electrical tape. just to keep it snug. This eliminates glue from tape that will eventually allow dirt and dust to collect on the inside of a break, port or crown..

straight finger condoms, been using this since like 2000, wife came home with a booboo on her finger and one of them attached, the rest is history.

I found that the standard GI issue plastic muzzle covers for an M16 fit perfectly over the muzzle of my LTR. Not sure how they'd work with other barrel profiles.

Finger condoms are very appropriate to the task, and there are black ones available for one of the muzzleloader accessory suppliers, specifically marketed as muzzle protectors.

I rubber/vinyl glove finger and a rubber band will suffice as well.

Just shoot and reapply, there may not even be any remains left behind.

Greg

I've used a little piece of black electrical tape in the past, as well as finger cots. I've never found any electrical tape that stuck to the muzzle.

I know a guy who HAS to use condoms to cover the bore. Ever since he explained he used them to protect his bore after his wife found them in his truck.

If you use electrical tape the colored tape by 3m (#35) will not leave all the black residue on the gun. I don't use it on mine but learned about it for wrapping wires that you need to read labeling on.

I use the little finger condoms....they are called finger cots. They work well and are easy to use.

Those are actually condoms for Indian men. The World Heath Organization, stuying contraceptive failures in India, found that condoms failed at much higher rates than normal because of the small penis size of Indian men, hence the smaller size.
    laugh.gif

Lindy never come back in my 7-Eleven again you flea bitten son of a cow thief.