• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COVID19 Update - What have you been doing?

JG26_Irish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2013
Morehead, KY
Besides shooting, hunting, fishing and staying away from all the assholes out in the world what have you all been doing? That describes my time which is not too different from normal, lol. I was fortunate enough to score a pair of lovely old Winchester model 52B tgt rifles during this mess. They just shipped in to my local FFL last week and over the long weekend I cleaned, checked and mounted scopes on them for a 4th of July fireworks display. It has been my practice to always go shooting on the 4th and more often than not, that would include louder weapons than the 22's but since I had new toyz, I figured accuracy is better than volume. I was calling rifle #1 the Ugly Rifle because its stock had some bruises and the rifle had been used a bit and was not completely original. It came with a 10x Fecker scope that had more than a little rust on the steel body. The whole package was well better than the 70% description and cleaned up nicely. The #2 was a pristine old 52B that honestly looks like it has never been shot. I left the Valver peeps on it for the first outing and then mounted a period correct BALVAR 6-24x. I am calling it the pretty rifle since it looks like new.

Ugly rifle range report. I had bore sighted the rifle but the first shot was not on paper so I fired a shot into the dirt which was high. I dialed it down 4 clicks and fired another which was high so I went down 4 more and left 2. Fired one more which appeared to be on tgt. All total I had shot 5-6 to get it on paper. I went to the tgt and shot the first shot on paper which took out the x in the center of the USBR tgt. "Nice" I think. There was an older gentleman at the range looking over my shoulder. I fired the 2nd shot and he asked how it did? I looked up trying not to grin and said, "I think it went into the same hole, or I missed the whole tgt and I am pretty sure I did not miss". I went on to shoot 6-5 shot groups a total of 30 shots starting with SK rifle match and finishing with a different lot of Lapua CX which had never shot that well before. 30 shots all cutting the 10 ring or damn close. The first shot when I switched to CX ammo went a little high and right and I have not really scored this to confirm my claim but it is close. I was very pleased with this initial result. I will measure later and post to the 6x5 thread but here is the tgt and the old ugly rifle. Shooting was all at 50y from a bench.

Pretty rifle report. Shooting with Peeps, my goal was only to get it on paper and pop off a couple of groups before scoping the rifle. Got it on paper and shot two groups and based on what I have done with other peep sighted rifles, I was not that impressed. They were both about 1" groups but I only tried the SK ammo and since I had forgot to bring my spotting scope I tired of using the other rifle for a spotter pretty quick. Conclusion is that she is very pretty but the jury is still out on her willingness to put out. Now that she has a scope mounted, we will see.

Plan on taking the gurlz out for another spin this morning.

Irish

Attachments

• 52B 2116 Fecker 10x.jpg
    52B 2116 Fecker 10x.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 52B 2114 7.4.20.jpg
    52B 2114 7.4.20.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 52B 6x5 50y 2116 7.4.20 cx.jpg
    52B 6x5 50y 2116 7.4.20 cx.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: