• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote barrel suggestions, cut it down?

upnorthbacon

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2007
Northern MI
I came upon a great deal on a brand new savage model 12 and I'm turning it into my coyote gun. I'll try and get some pics up, it's a .223 1/9 twist 26" fluted stainless barrel. I have it in a B&C medalist stock w/Nikon 3-12 monarch scope. My last rig (SPS .204) I was easily shooting out to 400yds with 3-4" groups with no wind. I haven't really shot this one yet, it's been cold and windy but I'm assuming it will still do the job out to 400yds. Since I'm likely going to be limited to 69gr with my twist I'm guessing 400yds will be my max range which I can hit a coyote if all the factors are right. The majority of my shots will likely be 200yds and in, seated with shooting sticks, or from a rest. The gun right now is really heavy and I'm thinking of having the 26" cut down, maybe to 20"? I know I'm going to lose velocity but I'm thinking I'll still be fine out to 400yds? I have a local gunsmith who will do it for $80 and although it will look a little funky being cut down and fluted that seemed like a pretty good deal. Also I want to molycoat it OD green but right now it won't fit in my oven and if it were cut down I would be able to go that route too, which would be a bonus. Do you think I'll give up much at 400yds with the shorter barrel, anyone know how many fps I'll lose and could plug it in to see how much more drop I'm going to have? Any other barrel lenght suggestions I should try rather than 20"?

Re: Coyote barrel suggestions, cut it down?

My other thought is find a shorter 1/7 barrel and buy it then sell off the 26" to recoup some money?

1000099v.jpg

You honestly going to lug that heavy SOB around in Northern MI for coyote hunting?

I'd ditch the whole setup myself and get something lighter.

Just my opinion/experience.

I wouldn't want to lug that rig around in a foot to foot and a half of snow. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You honestly going to lug that heavy SOB around in Northern MI for coyote hunting?

I wouldn't want to lug that rig around in a foot to foot and a half of snow. YMMV </div></div>

+1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You honestly going to lug that heavy SOB around in Northern MI for coyote hunting?

I wouldn't want to lug that rig around in a foot to foot and a half of snow. YMMV </div></div>

We sure did a lot of walking in an assload of snow this winter, didn't we? I agree with SuperSeal and Donovan, a light rifle makes for a more enjoyable day when calling coyotes. The more you actually use them, the more you'll appreciate a light, fast handling rifle for the conditions that we call coyotes in this part of the country. Just my 2 cents.

I have to use a heavy barrel... the wind here will blow the light barrel guns off target....
grin.gif

If you wait for the wind to stop... you'll never call.

I think the heavies suck to pack, but stay on target better. Catch 22.

True, but the terrain here is a little different than the wide open calling country you guys have out there....which sometimes makes me jealous. A 20mph wind is the exception here, and a 200yd poke is a long one. (grin)

And when you get out the farm country and into northern michigan it gets even thicker.

100_0799.jpg

Man.. tough calling. I am used to seein' them come from a mile and a half off...
grin.gif

BTW... what are all those clumpy looking things with the pretty colors on them ????

Len_trip.JPG

34601contest_double.jpg

I already have an AR that I shot a nice fox with this winter. The AR is definately light enough but I have access to several farm fields where the shots get longer and we've had a lot of success over the last few years in the fields. That's why I wanted to cut the barrel down to lighten it up some and try and make this my all around rifle rather than bring two guns with me. I like the heft when sighting I think it allows me to be more accurate. I don't mind carrying it we only go into the woods a couple hundred yards when we call and I can just sling it on my back.

I don't see a problem cutting it down.

I've done a good share of coyote hunting with a rig that weighs probably just a touch more than yours. It gets really fucking old pretty quick. And I don't even have the snow that Brad does.

I'm thinking about putting my next build on the back burner...and building a flyweight 223AI instead.