• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Coyote bullet for 16" AR

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Looking for a general list of bullets that any of you use for coyote's. I use the AR in the tight wooded areas with shots around 150yds and in. Rifle is a BCM 1/7" twist, 16" barrel. I tend to keep hides if I can.
Looking at some berger 55gr varmint possibly or the sierra 55 blitz.
Let's hear what you got

I was shooting the 40 gr berger varmint last year in a 16" CA-15 7 twist 223 wylde. Wasn't super accurate but was easy on fur. I shoot them in my 22-250 also, very accurate in a 12 twist

Reactions: Cookieman8
I believe @skinney_7 has used the 53 gr V max from Hornady in a fast twist 22-250 with good success.

Has a better design for a fast twist than many light varmint bullets.

I have shot them from an 18” 1/8 bolt gun with a Wylde chamber with good accuracy.

I believe @skinney_7 has used the 53 gr V max from Hornady in a fast twist 22-250 with good success.

Has a better design for a fast twist than many light varmint bullets.

I have shot them from an 18” 1/8 bolt gun with a Wylde chamber with good accuracy.
The vmax was the first on my list but I get a little worried about splash and I can't seem to find them anywhere lol

For 150 and in I’d just shoot a 55 Hornady Soft Point.
Shoots very well in my 16” AR and they’re cheap.
They do leave a fair sized exit if you aim for bone. I suspect they’d be a bit gentler behind the shoulder.

Edited to add: 53 V Maxes are evil, but I don’t know that you really need them (high BC) that close, and the one i shot a bit far back behind the shoulder had lung hanging out of a baseball sized exit hole. But they flat shoot out of my rifle and I’ve hit gongs at head-scratching ranges.

Last edited:
In my 16" in wooded areas and small fields I use the nolser 55 ballistic tip and Varmageddon usually no exits. The plain soft points work good but usually exit. I think the 55 vmax can be fragile but effective. I did shoot a small one last summer with a 55 hornady hollow point and I did get an exit but Im going to try them again this winter. Ive never tried the sierra blitzking but it seems to favorite for a long time.

I use the 55 gr Berger varmint in my 16" and as long as you hit them in the chest cavity they don't exit it seams even at close range but I've shot one in the neck and had a exit wound about 4" on the other side. they are setting depth sensitive though I got lucky and have mine shooting about 3/4 moa at 100 yds. but if I move it more then 4 thousands one way or the other it opens up to 1 1/2 inches.

In my 16" in wooded areas and small fields I use the nolser 55 ballistic tip and Varmageddon usually no exits. The plain soft points work good but usually exit. I think the 55 vmax can be fragile but effective. I did shoot a small one last summer with a 55 hornady hollow point and I did get an exit but Im going to try them again this winter. Ive never tried the sierra blitzking but it seems to favorite for a long time.
Blitzking is thinner jacket, bit more explosive on impact but OP might have an issue with bullets coming apart w/7 twist barrel, even at 16", 223 velocities.
Worth trying, just watch for evidence of bullet not making it to intended target.
IIRC, many years back I tried some 55 Blitzkings in a 9 twist, 20" AR for S.E.R.T. (Self Erecting Rifle Target, A.K.A. praire dog) shooting, had a few blow up 50-75 yards down range.

Im a fan of nosler varmageddon i have had great luck with them. So far i havn't had any go through any coyote, cat or racoon from muzzel out to 550ish yards.

Throw your barrel away and get a Ruger .204 barrel. Best AR cartridge if you want to keep the fir. I run 32 grain @ 4371.
This is what I did, got a Rock River A4 Varmint 204. Shooting 35 gr bergers into bolt gun size groups. Awesome bullet for coyotes and saving fur

Anyone tried 60gr V max @ 3150ish??

I guess I'll find out soon. Loading some for 224 V, But have doubts they'll stay together.

Blitzking is thinner jacket, bit more explosive on impact but OP might have an issue with bullets coming apart w/7 twist barrel, even at 16", 223 velocities.
Worth trying, just watch for evidence of bullet not making it to intended target.
IIRC, many years back I tried some 55 Blitzkings in a 9 twist, 20" AR for S.E.R.T. (Self Erecting Rifle Target, A.K.A. praire dog) shooting, had a few blow up 50-75 yards down range.
Great point, I have also heard about the thin jackets coming apart. Seems as if a polymer tip is a good choice but I'd have to go slightly heavier. 60gr + possibly. I always prefer a non polymer tip but in my 22-250, the 40 gr vmax is fairly accurate and smokes groundhogs. I use the 52gr berger varmint for yotes. So far been a good set up but that's in a 14 twist.