• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Calling

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    What are some good resources to learn how to coyote call with an e-caller. I’m new to coyote hunting and have no idea what sounds to play, for how long, more effective strategies for various seasons, etc.

I tried some googling but saw all kinds of conflicting info.

we can finally start hunting coyotes at night in my state so I’m about to get to it!

Reactions: 260284
    Strategies vary by area and some will be specific to your location. Trial and error will be your most effective tool so don't be afraid to change calls back to back to see what works and what doesn't for your animals.

What are some good resources to learn how to coyote call with an e-caller. I’m new to coyote hunting and have no idea what sounds to play, for how long, more effective strategies for various seasons, etc.

I tried some googling but saw all kinds of conflicting info.

we can finally start hunting coyotes at night in my state so I’m about to get to it!
    Arkansas approved night hunting of predators?

My understanding is that it basically got approved last year and we’ve been waiting on it to hit the books.

So the other day I was going through the online website and there is a new Predator Control Permit available that states you can hunt them at night.

the site said you can apply for it so I assumed it would be a bunch of questions and reviewed by the warden, etc...

Nope! I clicked the apply button, filled out the info and they updated my license to include the PCP. They’ve apparently been under the radar on it.

Double check me to make sure I’m not crazy but I’ve got a couple buddies that did the same thing and read it the same way I do.

From the area, and I have a buddy that’s a lot better at it than i am but learning from him I’ve moved to 30min max sets, make small moves between sets, and rather than the big pretty field you want to watch them run across look for smaller bottleneck areas. Been hit and miss in the woods but we keep it simple on calls just some baby cottontail distress and howls. We did call in a double a couple years ago in the timber with 1 black yote on turkey distress or something like that.

Reactions: DP3
    Check out MFK (made for killing) Game Calls. Their YouTube page is an awesome resource. They're down there in Arkansas and put a fuckin hurtin on the song dogs. Diaphragm and e-calls. They're all world champion callers too

Reactions: DIBBS
    Last year was my first year night hunting and I had to learn most of it on my own. Everything I did I seccond guessed and over thought until I came to the realization that you wont see coyotes on every set. Wind direction and keeping out of their sniffers reaches is number 1. I always tried to guess where they would come from and place the call with the thought they will go to it rather than me, and stay out of the path they may take to the call. In my experience, coyote vocals can be over done. Find one you want to try and play it, wait two or 3 minutes then play it again. Rabbit, local bird, and coyote distresses I would run basically non stop but still turning the volume up and down while scanning (its easier to use one button than have to mute and select and run volume at the same time.) Another seemingly obvious yet often over looked point is to hunt where there are coyotes. Get out and try it, have patience. Find what works for you and disregard the rest. One stated above that they set no more than 30 minutes, I found that most of my coyotes came in as I was giving up on the stand (often after the 30 minute mark) so I started going to 45 minutes if weather and time allowed.

Reactions: Rerun7
    If coyotes want to come in they will come to just about anything.
    Make sure the wind is in your favor and watch behind you too.
    Have fun

I'm looking for an e-caller that can be remotely controlled from a long distance. Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't tell you the effective range of the remote controllers.

I had an Icotec a few years ago which advertised a 100 yard range. Unfortunately, I could not hear the darn thing and the indications on the remote were so poor that I could not tell if the caller was broadcasting or not.

I have a problem with the coyotes at the farm that I hunt on staying behind the same group of trees in the same draw to investigate the call.

The prevailing winds are from the south-southwest. Due to the size of the property my choice of shooting positions are limited.

I thought about placing a call about 50-100 meters south of the wooded draw then getting off at an angle that parallels their approach but that would place me about 200-300 meters from the call. At the closest, I would be 120 meters from the approach of the coyote(s). At the furthest, it would be a 400 meter shot.

The firing points in the map below place me at an elevated position. Sometimes the coyotes walk through the wooded area in the draw in a westerly direction. On other occasions they walk behind the trees as indicated by the curved line. When they retreat the sometimes get back in the draw or reverse course on the curved red line.

As you can see, the coyotes would be exposed longer from my proposed firing points.

There was one occasion, at night, when I spotted two of them running down the hillside near the proposed southern firing point. That would be the risk of taking a stand there. Regardless of that, even their line of retreat was back into the draw and meandering about north of the trees.

In the past, I have placed the caller (a cheap bluetooth speaker using an app on the iPad) further south about 15-30 yards to the side.

I got a shot one from the barn at the bottom of the map a couple of years ago. It was a 150 yard shot with the e-caller at the north end of the barn. The coyote was near the arrow tip of the curved line when I shot him.

I know that I'm dreaming but is there any e-caller made that would give me the range that I'm looking for?

In the alternative, could I place an e-caller at the location on the map and program it to sound a call for a minute or two at 30 minute intervals while I get remain in one of the proposed firing positions for several hours or most of the day?

I'm open to other suggestions.

Operation Wiley Coyote Map.jpg

Can you get permission to hunt neighboring property? Maybe get a different vantage point?
    I don't generally hunting the same places over and over, coyotes are smart.
    I do believe you could get an e-caller with programmable time limits. I just don't know who makes them.
    I use a primos alpha dog with a remote advertised good for 100 yds. Never tried past about 60 though.

Can you get permission to hunt neighboring property? Maybe get a different vantage point?
    I don't generally hunting the same places over and over, coyotes are smart.
    I do believe you could get an e-caller with programmable time limits. I just don't know who makes them.
    I use a primos alpha dog with a remote advertised good for 100 yds. Never tried past about 60 though.

I could try to get permission on adjacent properties but want to get a few coyotes under my belt to show some progress and get a good referral.

I’ll take a look at the alpha dog.

I'm in the same boat new to calling coyotes how long typically does one call for the entire stand or just a few minutes and wait

I call for about a minute then pause 30 seconds to a minute or so and then call again. No particular method to my madness.
    I start loud and gradually turn down the volume over 20 to 30 minutes.
    Just experiment, have fun. You'll figure out what works and what doesn't.
    Post results.

I run distress calls on the ecaller on a loop. For howls I do 1 or 2 then wait. If the coyotes start talking try and mimic their howls.

went out yesterday made four stands two I didn't see anything the other two had coyotes come in but came in behind me never saw the coyotes the one spooked deer wich ran buy me not carrying I was there the other I seen the tracks where he would saw me and turned and ran the other direction wich sucks but at least I know my calling is doing something just need to work on my setup. any advise there?

You should have an idea of where the coyotes are going to come from and set up with the wind blowing from that direction to you -- they don't always come from where you think they will, but usually you're targeting some cover (trees, tall grass, draws).
    A cross-wind can work, but having a buddy cover the downwind direction is important.
    If you're using an e-caller, place it a ways upwind of you so if they circle downwind, they come to you, and not behind you.
    Be mindful of the terrain. In most cases, coyotes are going to stay as low as possible and use cover on their approach. -- The exception to this is if there is a path of less resistance, for example, they love to use cow / game trails, fence lines, and even low traffic roads to get around.

In my opinion, you're trying to pull them in the wrong direction. They're not going to move very far toward buildings in the daylight. I'm not sure if the elevation of the terrain allows for it, but I would set up in that tree line that runs to the northwest (assuming the top of the image is north). They'll feel much more comfortable approaching along the edge of that tree line. I would have a guy on each side of it if possible.
    Wait for a S, SE, or E wind. SW could work too, but your guy on the N side of the tree line would need to be mindful of where his scent is blowing, and not let any coyote get that far.

Reactions: Charlie112
    In my opinion, you're trying to pull them in the wrong direction. They're not going to move very far toward buildings in the daylight. I'm not sure if the elevation of the terrain allows for it, but I would set up in that tree line that runs to the northwest (assuming the top of the image is north). They'll feel much more comfortable approaching along the edge of that tree line. I would have a guy on each side of it if possible.
    Wait for a S, SE, or E wind. SW could work too, but your guy on the N side of the tree line would need to be mindful of where his scent is blowing, and not let any coyote get that far.

I'm hunting them at night and the only shooter is me. The shooting points are possible locations where I would set up if I could find an e-caller that I could operate from that distance indicated on the map.

I decided to try something different. From reading on other forums, I learned that coyotes sometimes like to eat dog food, canned or dry. So I dumped the contents of two bags at two other locations on the property that I can observe from one place.

Yes, I know gut piles and road kill work better. However, I don't have the type a vehicle that I want to risk stinking up with that stuff. So dog food is the best option for me to try right now.

I'll give them a few days to get use to the new food source. If they haven't consumed all of it, I'll go out there some evening and wait, without calling to see what comes to the dog food.

From my firing point, overlooking the dog food, I will have a 200 yard shot at one pile and 250 at the other.

I'm hoping this will work as I saw some old tracks in the snow. The places where I dumped the dog food look well traveled from the tracks.

Ok. I maintain you'd have better luck pulling them up that tree line. Coyotes come better if they feel like the have cover on their approach, even at night.
    As for the dog food, you may find other critters like deer, raccoons, squirrels, and such eat most of it.

Ok. I maintain you'd have better luck pulling them up that tree line. Coyotes come better if they feel like the have cover on their approach, even at night.
    As for the dog food, you may find other critters like deer, raccoons, squirrels, and such eat most of it.

Agreed, but it doesn’t hurt to experiment.

Reactions: SupressYourself
    I gave up on calling in this area as they've become educated and won't come in close. So I started baiting with dogfood.

A few weeks ago when the temperature got down to about 5, one came to the bait and walked past me but I could not get it in focus was very difficult to see in the thermal. I passed up the shot but discovered later that the lens cover was partially obscuring the lens. It was dark and I could not see that at the time and I couldn't feel it cause the fingers were cold.

One came to the bait last night. She was pawing around at the nuggets of dog food scattered around the target area.

Coyote.jpg