• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote hunting advice needed

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
The college I attend has been having problems with coyotes. We sit on about 50 acres of mostly farm and woodland. For the past several weeks I've been hearing them pretty much all night every night.

Well Friday at lunch the topic came up and it seems that the president of the college, and the head of security would like to have them reduced. From what I could gather they've been getting into too much.

I'm fortunate enough that I go to a very firearm friendly school. For example I can grab my rifle walk through the campus to a field about 1/4 mile behind the campus and shoot all I want from 100-800 yards, probably further if I angled it right.

While out shooting last week I noticed multiple coyote tracks and carcasses around the field that I shoot in. I mentioned it to the head of security. He then asked me if I'd be willing to take care of them for him. So I agreed.

So now for the questions. Most of the tracks were between 150-200 yards from where I generally set up. From what I've read during the day they're not very active. When would be the best time dusk or dawn? How can I bait them in? Do I camo up or will that even matter?

I don't have much experience with coyote hunting so any advice would be great! I'm not allowed to hunt them at night here ( that's what the head of security told me,) And I don't have access to a call.

Thanks,
Anthony

Anthony, I would check with the county to make double sure you are ok to shoot where you plan to hunt. Just to cover your own six. The head of security may be a nice guy but he is a civilian and his word does not supersede the State.

As for night shooting, your DNR manual shows it to be ok out of deer season.

Coyote - No daily bag limit, no closed season. If hunted during the deer gun season, hours and legal hunting devices are the same as for deer gun season. Rifles and night vision scopes are legal for coyote hunting; however, rifles and night hunting (between sunset and 1/2 before sunrise) are prohibited during any firearm/muzzleloader deer seasons.

As for approach, I like to hunt very early in the morning and use a variety of calls. Yes camo up, yotes have very keen senses. Learn how to play the wind and find a good vantage point.

As for baiting, I am sure some OH guys will chime in.

Last edited:
I've checked the regs its good to go. The wind when it blows usually blows from my left to right. The tree line where I assume they are is to my front right unless they have a den in the woods about 300 yards behind where I set up. But I haven't found as many tracks around that area. Other than those two wooded areas it is all flat farm land.

Also keep in mind . That you most likely Do have a breeding Den in that area . & right now they did just have pups . So you WILL have a brood of young & stupid that will be Easy-Pickins but in doing that you will not be killing the main problem .
Your going to see the new-year dogs easy & in-range ( imho ) When your set-up, try to hold-off on popping them & look & wait for the breeding adults that are there to show themselves in-range . You can always get the young stupid ones latter on .
But to your advantage that's working for you is adults got to be real active & aggressive getting food also to keep them all fed . So a good call mouth or electronic or a good decoy is going to get them in the kill-box you got Ranged-off .

If you wanna get serious about it buy(or have the college buy) a Foxpro electronic call and a decoy and set it up in the field. Get camo'd up and sit about 50-100yds away from it with the wind blowing in your face(coming from the call). If you wanna go the cheap route then get a hand call but that can be tough and if you're gonna do it by yourself then you're gonna have to switch from the call to your rifle, and they'll probably see you. If you're gonna use a hand call try and have a friend using it a little ways away from you being real still. You gotta be real still while hunting them, not even moving to scratch. Try not to use any scented soap or shampoo before you go out.

If you want to do something a little less involved you could buy some traps.

I am not an expert, but do remove from 25-50 per year from my ranch. No matter what you do, they will adapt and overcome it. I have tried everything except poison.
In my experience, over the last 44 years of dealing with them, methods rate about like this.
Snaring is most effective.
Sitting up over kills at night.
Sitting up over kills during the day, preferably dawn, dusk.
Trapping
Sitting up at night with no kill/bait
Sitting up dawn,dusk no kill/bait.
Calling is far distant to all of these.

No matter what you do, they will figure it out given time.

Try to kill the old females first, they are the smartest ones.

Kills are mostly road killed deer or carcasses from hunts. Deer are about the best. Sometimes beaver are great, other times no action at all. Muskrats are good trapping bait, but do not last long for sitting over. If legal, a live chicken or a small yap yap dog can be amazing. Dog can be in a protective pen.
Keep in mind, no matter what you do, you will need to always keep changing, as the coyotes are certain to adapt.

Last edited:
I would go to local butcher or grocery store and a lot of the markets will give you scraps from the processing so its cheap and works really well.
Definitely camo up and wind is most important.
Good luck and post some pics of your trophies!

I will definitely post pics if I get one of these things.

It seems we have some rain headed this way. Do these things move in the rain or do they bed down somewhere until it passes?

Depends on many factors. How hungry, weather, pups, duration of weather, temp Etc. Like many animals, they do tend to get active prior to a storm. If someone wants to PM me their email and post a pic for me, I will send a cool picture of an old female that went down a one mile snare line and fouled every snare (over 25) every day for three weeks. I finally caught her with a ground snare by the foot. She was quite a nuisance.

Depends on many factors. How hungry, weather, pups, duration of weather, temp Etc. Like many animals, they do tend to get active prior to a storm. If someone wants to PM me their email and post a pic for me, I will send a cool picture of an old female that went down a one mile snare line and fouled every snare (over 25) every day for three weeks. I finally caught her with a ground snare by the foot. She was quite a nuisance.

I would love to see that pic. If the breeding pair is present for shooting always take the smaller (Bitch) first, the male will probably give a look back for a second shot but if the male goes down first she will never look back.
Try mouth calls. You still have two hands free and they are not as repetative as electronic calls. Cheaper too.

If someone sends their email address, I will email pic to be posted. I do not know how to do so.
Thanks,
RTH

Yesterday I decided to put some bait out just to see what happened. Today I headed out and sure enough it was gone and coyote prints were around it.

This evening I put out more bait and dripped a little blood in the area I'm planning to head out in the morning and get set up before first light.

Hopefully I end up getting lucky. The last two days the wind has been in my face! :)

Well I went out at 5:30, unfortunately I misjudged first light. I should have been out by 5:15.

I set up and within 15 minutes I found myself watching a nice young buck eating his breakfast. He stayed around for a good thirty minutes before running off into the woods. If only it was deer season, broadside shot at 300 would have been nice.

So I laid there for over an hour and then there it was! Something white and grey moving along the treeline. I chamber a round as quietly as possible. Then I reached for the binos pulled them up, focused in only to find a huge house cat looking for it's breakfast. I was very disappointed. :(

At 7:45 I started packing up because I had class at 8:30. I went down to check the bait that I left out last night. Sure enough it was gone and coyote tracks were all around. I will get this thing before too long. :)

Last edited:
should have taken the cat anyways, im sure there is a chinese food place that would have bought it from you..lol

good luck, and when you finally get em, post pics!!!

Set a trap... they work 24/7. If you're using bait, use large enough ones where they can't eat it all in one sitting and tie or stake it down so they can't drag it away. ie. road kill deer.

xdeano

Oh trust me I wanted to shoot that thing. I hate cats. In my mind I was seeing it as coyote bait but I knew if I took that shot the coyote would never come around that morning. But I'll admit in my weakness I started to squeeze that trigger a few times but decided against it.

Set a trap... they work 24/7. If you're using bait, use large enough ones where they can't eat it all in one sitting and tie or stake it down so they can't drag it away. ie. road kill deer.

xdeano

Better beware of trapping! you don't want to end up with the nieghbors dog, cat ect.
It will take time but if you are patient the shot will present itself.

a trap is 10 times more effective in picking up a wise coyote then a rifle is.

xdeano

A trap is 10 times more effective in killing anything that comes in contact with it.
Why not put out some 1080 and watch everything in the area that touches it go down.
Ever use a cyanide gun?
The tool is only as good as the user.

Last edited:
Trapping is a very good tool. It is far tougher to trap than shoot a coyote. Snares are easy, trapping is not. Comparing it with poison is ridiculous. Traps do not enter the water table, poison small birds, raptors etc. nor do they fly through a window a mile away and kill someone. Very good tool. Has it's place just as shooting does.

I would trap it or snare it but there are free roaming animals in the area I really don't need anything happening to. So I'm going to go about it the baiting, waiting, shooting route. I'm sure they will show up. I heard one today as it was getting dark.

I won't get a chance to head out tomorrow due to church, but first thing Monday morning I'll be out there again.

On another note I've been told by a few people that a dog squeaky toy is one of the best things to use to try to call them in. Has anyone ever heard or tried this?

doe's are dropping fawns at this time of year and make up a large part of their diet, pick up a open read call and practice a fawn bleat. Or pup distress. As it doesn't matter where in the USA you're at right now it is denning season. coyotes are agressive this time of year.

RTH1800- i couldn't agree more, the trap has nothing to do with killing the critter, It is there to entrap it and keep it there tell you get there to dispatch it.

ToBeDell- In fact I do used M44's. They work very well. 1080 isn't used by many these days. I'm giving suggestions, he can take them or leave them. But at least i'm trying to help.

xdeano

xdeano the defensive statement turned arguementative. The OP has established that this is near residential and being familiar with trapping, snaring and chemical means of predator control, my suggestion was for a firearm to be used.
PhOnEpHrEaK your question on dog toy's, yes they do work quite well.

Last edited:
Better beware of trapping! you don't want to end up with the nieghbors dog, cat ect.
It will take time but if you are patient the shot will present itself.

Well I went back and read the entire thread, and there was no mention from the OP that trapping was out of the question. I did read that RTH1800 beat me to the punch with labeling which tool is the most effective. He must know a thing or two. It sounds like you're the only one against actually utilizing the tools, I will say that not all tools can be utilized at a given point, but heck at least try. I'm not trying to be argumentative, i'm just stating the facts. use what you've got to get the job done.

xdeano

About the dog squeeky toy, get a big one with a bigger squeeker, the sound will travel further, you can cut the squeeker out and put it in your mouth also. Just don't swallow it. You can also get a smaller toy for a close in coaxer. Heck a reed of grass between your thumbs will work just find if you know what you're doing with it, the native american use to use this technique and it worked very well. So it just depends on how much money you want to stick into it.

I'm not saying that calling and shooting, spot and stock, or ambushing doesn't work, because it works very well. I kill a couple each year with these methods. ;)

xdeano

Well I went back and read the entire thread, and there was no mention from the OP that trapping was out of the question. I did read that RTH1800 beat me to the punch with labeling which tool is the most effective. He must know a thing or two. It sounds like you're the only one against actually utilizing the tools, I will say that not all tools can be utilized at a given point, but heck at least try. I'm not trying to be argumentative, i'm just stating the facts. use what you've got to get the job done.

xdeano

Damn, your a peach. You only read the whole thread after making statements. Being aware of the environment and controlling damage to it is everyone's responsibility. There are some who would set traps and not check them regularly, otherwise leaving a animal that was not intended for destruction to die of exposure. Ever seen it? not pretty.
When you call me out on "utilizing the tools" then say your not trying to be argumentative, make up your mind. The OP said in the first post that he was not experienced at hunting coyotes and your suggestion was to use a trap sounded like you were setting him up for failure, therefore beware of trapping.
Ready...........go

Last edited:
Enough of wasting everyone's time, I'm not the only one on this thread that thinks that traps the most effective tool.

Expect a PM Tobedell.

xdeano

Damn, your a peach. You only read the whole thread after making statements. Being aware of the environment and controlling damage to it is everyone's irresponsibility. There are some who would set traps and not check them regularly, otherwise leaving a animal that was not intended for destruction to die of exposure. Ever seen it? not pretty.
When you call me out on "utilizing the tools" then say your not trying to be argumentative, make up your mind. The OP said in the first post that he was not experienced at hunting coyotes and your suggestion was to use a trap sounded like you were setting him up for failure, therefore beware of trapping.
Ready...........go

Speculation....a fancy word for guess.

That's all you have.

Speculation....a fancy word for guess.

That's all you have.

Speculation? Not sure where your going with that one.
I know the only people who have a right to speculate on the management of predators are the one's who live with em.
Very nice buck!

Last edited:
Any luck today?

Well, I went out this morning. I got in place at about 4:30. Tried some calling, but I didn't see or hear a thing today except a few birds, so I packed up and came back in at 7:00. Went down to check the usual spot, and there were fairly fresh tracks. (they weren't there last night around 8:30.) At this point I believe its just a waiting game.

What it sounds like, is that you have coyote hunting grounds where they basically hunt through the area during the evening and move out of the area before the sun even comes up. they aren't living in the area, just moving through. this would explain not getting a shot during twilight hours.

Nice work 1800.

xdeano

have you tried getting out there, sneaking in during the late afternoon and waiting until it gets dark to pack up? like xdeano said...it sounds like your missing the prime opportunity time....

phonephreak, is there any way you can give us a map of your area? maybe visually we can see something you dont?

You my friend have a lot of cover for those coyotes to move in. Is there a pasture on the top middle between the trees? That might be a really decent spot to call from. Theyll feel more comfortable moving over grass and come out of the trees. Im looking at the map on my phone so i cant see very well.
Deano

I went on Google Earth and pulled up your location. For those who want a better view, punch this in;
40.868167°, -80.873413°

I see where your college is on the left there with the pond.

I would definitely get back in there to the nw where there there is the crp/pasture with the scattered trees and small water on it. I'd focus in on that area just because of the fact that they'll be less leary to come out on the grass then they would on bare ground. Water for pups and a place to mouse, decent denning ground. Easy access from the north, but you'll have to call them in. Just sitting there isn't going to get you much of a glimse of them. It's also a slight pinch point in the woods.

There must be a beaver pond or something back in the trees there also, (NW of the school), they will tend to cross there also if there is much water in those drainages.

There is a point that comes off that crp/pasture to the nw that goes east kind of out in the field, that would be a decent spot that would cover a lot of area while calling, it's got a little drainage going right to the spot, but you'd have to have a cooperative wind. South/SE/E winds.

If you had a couple buddies to go with you, you could call some of those points, field corner, but you'd have to be watching everything, they may poke their head out, and may not.

Another place to try is the big field to the west of the school, there looks to be some brush or a tree out there, little island of trees, you could always sit down there and call to the north to see if you can pull them out. Again with the right wind.

Looking at this on a big scale, just watch your shots, lots of houses around there.

Best of luck,
Deano

Last edited:
I went on Google Earth and pulled up your location. For those who want a better view, punch this in;
40.868167°, -80.873413°

I see where your college is on the left there with the pond.

I would definitely get back in there to the nw where there there is the crp/pasture with the scattered trees and small water on it. I'd focus in on that area just because of the fact that they'll be less leary to come out on the grass then they would on bare ground. Water for pups and a place to mouse, decent denning ground. Easy access from the north, but you'll have to call them in. Just sitting there isn't going to get you much of a glimse of them. It's also a slight pinch point in the woods.

There must be a beaver pond or something back in the trees there also, (NW of the school), they will tend to cross there also if there is much water in those drainages.

There is a point that comes off that crp/pasture to the nw that goes east kind of out in the field, that would be a decent spot that would cover a lot of area while calling, it's got a little drainage going right to the spot, but you'd have to have a cooperative wind. South/SE/E winds.

If you had a couple buddies to go with you, you could call some of those points, field corner, but you'd have to be watching everything, they may poke their head out, and may not.

Another place to try is the big field to the west of the school, there looks to be some brush or a tree out there, little island of trees, you could always sit down there and call to the north to see if you can pull them out. Again with the right wind.

Looking at this on a big scale, just watch your shots, lots of houses around there.

Best of luck,
Deano

The last place you mentioned the west field is where I generally set up. And I set up there due to the fact I didn't want to be shooting toward any buildings. I've been thinking about trying to get close to that little pond north of the field but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Tonight right after I left the field something attacked a rabbit. That thing squeeled like no other, then sounded like a bunch of biting, but I couldn't see more than 50 yards in front of me when I left.

I have to be careful. Most of the land south, east and west of the campus belongs to the college and I have free reign there. But somewhere in the wooded area in the north its someone else's property.

can you check your county assessor's website, find out who owns that property and maybe get with them and tell them what you're doing (for the college) and see if they would be willing to let you hunt there? It holds no bearing to your situation, but out here in AZ...I have talked to some land owners and all of them have given me un-controlled access to their land to hunt on. One guy infact told me where to go look and "have at it". Maybe this would help grant you complete control over the area?

Otherwise im completely on board with xdeano and his thoughts.