• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Hunting Gear

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
I’m really getting into coyote hunting this year. I bought a cheap call a couple of years ago. I definitely need to upgrade my gear.

What optic do you recommend for 16” 223?

What call do you recommend that is $250 or less?

Any other necessities you think I should consider?

I can only hunt during the daytime. So I won’t need any night stuff. Thanks for the help!

I carry shooting sticks, a cushion and hand calls. Any good 3-9x40 would work for your rifle. You don't have to invest a ton in gear to get started.

I carry shooting sticks, a cushion and hand calls. Any good 3-9x40 would work for your rifle. You don't have to invest a ton in gear to get started.
I’ve been thinking about getting a few hand calls. Any certain brands of calls that are better quality?

What kind of an area are you hunting? I like 1-8 or 2-10 power scopes with wide field of view as I don't shoot long distance.
Light try-pod chair or turkey vest with cushion and shooting sticks as MR mentioned

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
What kind of an area are you hunting? I like 1-8 or 2-10 power scopes with wide field of view as I don't shoot long distance.
Light try-pod chair or turkey vest with cushion and shooting sticks as MR mentioned
Most of my shots are fairly close. I’m actually in the process of building a new AR-15 for coyote hunting. It’s gonna have a 12.5” barrel so my son can handle it easier. 10x should be plenty. I have a few areas that get out to 250-300. Most shots are within 100 though. I was wanting to get a 2-10 scope but I was afraid the field of view would be terrible because most of the lower power scopes have a small objective diameter. Like 1-6x24. I’ve never used one that small. Does that affect field of view?

If wanting to save money on an ar scope thats fine to 300yd check bushnell tactical 3x9 or 4x16.

Large exposed turrets, side parallax mine tracks well and glass quality very nice for a bargain scope.

Can't recomend for longer ranges or serious competition but wife uses one in 22lr comps and does well.

I wish I had bought an armful when they were on sale.

This is a budget scope done well nothing more.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
Most of my shots are fairly close. I’m actually in the process of building a new AR-15 for coyote hunting. It’s gonna have a 12.5” barrel so my son can handle it easier. 10x should be plenty. I have a few areas that get out to 250-300. Most shots are within 100 though. I was wanting to get a 2-10 scope but I was afraid the field of view would be terrible because most of the lower power scopes have a small objective diameter. Like 1-6x24. I’ve never used one that small. Does that affect field of view?

It doesn’t. However, scopes with 24mm objective will suffer at max magnification in low light conditions, but if you dial them down you’ll be good to go.
If you can find a used Vortex HD LH 1.5-8 or 2-10 will serve you well

It doesn’t. However, scopes with 24mm objective will suffer at max magnification in low light conditions, but if you dial them down you’ll be good to go.
If you can find a used Vortex HD LH 1.5-8 or 2-10 will serve you well
Oh ok thanks

1583206320371.png

I bought one of the cheaper $80 electronic calls and it has been ok. It sounds a little fake and I think that makes a difference for the worst. I've been in a valley with coyotes in different areas calling, and turned on an appropriate call (I think, I've only been a few times), and they call back a few times and then they stop. Haven't had it bring them in.

Outside-the-mouth calls were pretty easy to get the hang of. I haven't tried the inside the mouth style.

Medina game calls has one of the cleanest coyote hand call I’ve used. Found him at the nwtf show in Nashville and bought one it’s great and you can do so much with it.

-16” AR Optic I would(I did) go w/ a 1-10 Razor(Should be showing up any day.) I messed around with these enough in person to think they are the perfect coyote optic. My shots last year ranged from 325yds to 20 at a dead run. The latter would’ve been a double had I had an AR and a lower power and scope.
- Gear:
-Fox pro Patiot
-Seat pad
-Tripod with a shooting rest
- 2 6’ lengths of 550 cord with barrel knots for dragging
-rifle
-Binos
-Rangefinder

.223 is only a fair coyote cartridge due to energy/trajectory issues.

When possibly consider getting a 22-250, 22 CM or .204 Ruger for 400 yards and under.

Beyond 400 yards consider one of the hot 6mm’s.

I use a 12.5 ar15 sbr with a suppressor topped with a 1x8 trijicon accupower.
When calling I put it on about 3x and keep it there. With a decoy most of my shots are well under 100m
If 1 hangs up out a ways I dial up the power and go for it.

Reactions: Wiscat and lou400a
Calling coyotes I have taken very few shots over 300. Spotting/shooting them is a different story. None of the shots I made this year would have been difficult with a .223. I would have added 2 more kills with an AR. For the record 1/2 were with a 22-250 and 1/2 were with a 243. Out of 10 coyotes 1 was over 250yds. Closest were 20 and 60 yards. As for energy concerns if you hit a coyote in the rib cage with a centerfire rifle its dead. The only runner I had last year was with a 243(30yds.) Hit through the lungs. A lighter bullet may have parked it; you just never know.

I kill from 75-180 coyotes per year and have done so for many years. Overall I would say 3-4 thousand coyotes shot.

For various reasons I mostly use a .223 with 77 grain SMK’s. I see a lot of solid double lung hit coyotes run 50-200 yards. For my purposes it does not matter. A lot of folks will be disappointed in performance like that. At mid January when I switch to the .204, 20-250, 22-250 that all ends.

Lighter bullets that open fast would reduce the runners no doubt.

Agree that AR will get a few more

I kill from 75-180 coyotes per year and have done so for many years. Overall I would say 3-4 thousand coyotes shot.

For various reasons I mostly use a .223 with 77 grain SMK’s. I see a lot of solid double lung hit coyotes run 50-200 yards. For my purposes it does not matter. A lot of folks will be disappointed in performance like that. At mid January when I switch to the .204, 20-250, 22-250 that all ends.

Lighter bullets that open fast would reduce the runners no doubt.

Agree that AR will get a few more

just out of curiosity, have you ever loaded .223 with a 50 or 55g vmax?

No, I just shoot that one load due to being accurate and multi use.
I’m certain it would be far more effective on coyotes an short and medium ranges.

No, I just shoot that one load due to being accurate and multi use.
I’m certain it would be far more effective on coyotes an short and medium ranges.

kinda what i was thinking, totally agree on that 22-250 tho
nasty sumbitch on groundhogs

This is what I use for a chair and my Lucy Duck Revolution, small tripod for it, and drag fit in it easy. I prefer to stand with my rifle on a tripod with something behind me to break my outline. When I can't stand, I use the chair and a Harris HB25S on whatever rifle I am carrying. I would have killed 5-10 more dogs last year if I would have had a shotgun. Every time I carry it, the shot is over 50 yards, when I leave it in the truck, they are 20 yards or less.

I use a 1/8" 18" AR with 50 or 53 gr V-max. Shot one just shy of 350 yards with it and he ran 75 yards or more with his heart blown up. I like the 75gr ELDM and the 65gr Gameking out of my 223 bolt gun. Need to try the 65gr Gameking in my AR.
20200208_132733.jpg
20200301_183732.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lou400a
Just get some decent hand calls and go for it. I have just about every model of FoxPro ever made and I am going back to outside the mouth hand calls. Electronic calls are ok for stupid coyotes in low pressure areas, but they are no longer effective where I hunt other than coyote vocals.

Unfortunately for me I almost only get to use the shotgun. Sure does the trick though. Not much for long range shots where I hunt here in the Appalachian mountains. I also use my 17 hornet mainly under 100yds. My 22-250 stays in the safe a lot but load 55gr v max for that over 4064 it’s awesome when I get to use it

Reactions: RTH1800
Just get some decent hand calls and go for it. I have just about every model of FoxPro ever made and I am going back to outside the mouth hand calls. Electronic calls are ok for stupid coyotes in low pressure areas, but they are no longer effective where I hunt other than coyote vocals.
Try that Medina

Here in the Southeast, I use a mix of mouth calls and a cheap electronic call, Icotec GC350, for my needs and they work. Shooting a 22-250 using 55gr Nosler BT Varmint bullets over 40.6gr of H380 for a touch over 3600fps. It absolutely destroys coyotes with no pelt damage.