• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote morning....UPDATE..:)

5spd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I should of had at least 2 this morning...BUT as I was walking to the dead cow pile at 5:30 (dark) am with the breeeze coming at me from the dead pile which is perfect I seemed to have got busted when I went prone to wait for daylight & the usual morning feeders.
I had 5 coyotes running all around me barking up a storm...yea "THAT" bark. 2 were going at it from my left and the other 3 spread from my front to right.
All I could do was stay quiet & hope something was at the pile when daylight broke.
Well I can now make out the pile a bit and start to glass slowly back & forth across the carcasses in the AM dusk to dawn light & sure enough right at 6:10 am I see a nice coyote at a rib side.
I drop the target dot on it and wait a few seconds for it to turn broadside and let the 65g vmax out of my 6x45 fly...thhwwapp, drop & flop.
Quickly I scan, no other takers unlike the other times when 2-3 took off after I shot one of them. I wait 45 min to see if anything else is wanting to come in & throw out a few barks/howls.
I get up and hike up the backside of the pastures about 8am and call out there and get a howl about 1/2 mile away. I see it finally and its not coming in at all. I stand up and darn it one busts out behind me (blind spot) that was headed to the dead pile............AAuuugghh!
Well thats coyote calling as we know. I pack it out.
I also found what was left of the coyote that I shot 3 weeks back that made it up the hill to the top when another one was coming in below it that I shot also. Coyotes DO eat each other, it was tore up and nothing left besides the hind quarters & rib cage, fur all over the place. It made it just over the top back then and finally died.
coyoyestoday007.jpg

Re: Coyote morning.

Damn 5spd, it's looking like you have to belly crawl in and out! Hate you got busted on the last on, but hey...that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Looks like you're really given them hell with that 6x45.

Cheers,
breeze

Looks like prairie country, long shots out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5spd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I also found what was left of the coyote that I shot 3 weeks back that made it up the hill to the top when another one was coming in below it that I shot also. Coyotes DO eat each other, it was tore up and nothing left besides the hind quarters & rib cage, fur all over the place. </div></div>

Thanks for sharing, great setup.

They DO eat each other. However, last year I shot one and left it on a rock to pick up when coming back to the truck. I was only gone for an hour and from far away I could see the "flock" of carrion eating birds all over it. Two golden eagles, some sort of a hawk(1), five or six crows and magpies. In that short time they tore the yote apart! Sure, plenty of it was left but if it had been a few more hours I'll be it would be hide and bones.

THanks again for the pic, ready to head out myself soon.

Shot this one at 636am today over the dead cow pile.
An old mangy male w/worn down canines and no front teeth.
The 2 coyotes that I left near the pile last week were torn to shreads and eaten by thier bretheren. No ravens/crows/eagles ever at this carcass pile.
COcoyote001.jpg