• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

coyote / re barrel /.223

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    .223 .. and this is .. ( Varmint/coyote related only ) .. ( Bolt Action ) , and with .223 Rem and ' 55 grain' max bullet weight.
    I am re barreling, and here is the question.

If I choose going Ackley improved . If I am only going maximum of , ( 20"-inch barrel length ) . am I gaining enough Velocity with the AI shoulder, to even bother with Reaming AI on the new .223 barrel ?

re barrel is .. Night hunting and Suppressor . I have never gone more than 16" barrel length on any x45 caliber hunting at night . So if I sacrificing going longer in length, and go 20" OAL barrel . Is 20" barrel length enough to take advantage of AI shoulder ?

I'm used to using Federal brass so it stretches fast. So short answer is yes it's worth it to reduce case stretch. Unless you plan on using a RCBS X die for the standard .223 rem.

Reactions: remaction
    I'm not sure about a 223 AI, but I can tell you from an 18" 22-250 still exceeding 3450, I believe you will get still get a decent velocity increase especially at 20.
    Regarding the brass, sure if your concerned with the growth the standard presents over the AI, I'm still betting your velocity will be 20-50 better than non AI.
    OR, just go 250 and be done.

Reactions: softcock
    I'm not sure about a 223 AI, but I can tell you from an 18" 22-250 still exceeding 3450, I believe you will get still get a decent velocity increase especially at 20.
    Regarding the brass, sure if your concerned with the growth the standard presents over the AI, I'm still betting your velocity will be 20-50 better than non AI.
    OR, just go 250 and be done.

I would just go with 22-250 and be done with it . but here where I hunt in the NW corner of OR. ( for the most ) part I not getting the huge AG acreage to justify ( I don't think ? ) the extra powder burn for flat speed of the 22-250 . but it always be nice to be in the high+3000 Vel for the dogs that stand-off past 200 yrd. and wont commit to my usual night shot range . The x45 case is about the most efficient burner and still has a little speed .
    How much more Grn. powder are you packing in 22-250 , over the usual 24 to 26 grn. on .223 ?
    --
    I always night hunt solo forever. but this year for 1st time, I started teaming up with a local . and 2 guys scanning therm. with one on the rifle, we just been knocking the shit out of the dogs .
    anyway.... He just went from Grendel to a 22-250 boltaction last week... So 'I will' definitely be closely checking the 22-250 out.

Was just wondering if I gain all that much speed going AI .223 . over just plain-Jane .223 Rem. ?
    and now.. you got me 2nd guessing myself on the barrel Ream ... LOL

Last edited:
    an extra 150 fps is pretty good . I was not expecting to see that much extra for AI and 20"

I’ve punched a few factory rifles to 223AI and that’s about typical for what I saw. You get a pretty efficient burn out of 223 in a 20”, AI or not.

The reality is that 150fps isn’t going to make 55gr shoot much flatter if you’re looking for straight holds on coyotes at night. Stepping up to something flatter like 22-250 gets you a considerable difference. Regardless of how fast you push 55’s though they still lose steam fast beyond 300. A 22-250 is damn flat to 300 though and doesn’t burn barrels too bad.

6tcu
    Or 6x45ai

Doesn't get any better on x45 case