• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Coyote Woodchuck 17hmr

malaga2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    Went for a walk on the farm while the farmer was cutting corn. Saw about 30 turkeys...2 Woodchucks (bad day for them) and this year old male Coyote that had a good deal of mange...did it a favor by shooting it. Really liking this Ruger 17hmr....
    SaturdayAfternoon001.jpg

SaturdayAfternoon002.jpg

SaturdayAfternoon004.jpg

SaturdayAfternoon005.jpg

Re: Coyote Woodchuck 17hmr

Nice gun. What scope you using? How far out was the shot on the coyote? I love the 17 for chucks. Use to just use my 22 but after trying out the 17 I wont go back.

Coyote at 125-130 yds...straight on shot. Scope is one of the newer Sweet 17 scopes from BSA. Overall very pleased with the package...

Good shootin!

What rounds did you use VMAX or CCI TNT HP? The VMAX work extremely well on the woodchucks as you can tell. I have the same BSA scope too, it's perfect for the little tack driver.

My field tests show the TNT's stay together and penetrate twice as much as the VMAX but I haven't got to shoot a coyote yet with the TNT's.
    Which round?

It's a 17 grn Hornady VMAX...taken a bunch of Woodchuck...couple of Crows and two Coyotes with this package...have a whole new respect for this caliber....

Yeh the little 17hmr is the calibre that could!

Every rifle shooter should own a 17hmr imo.

The Ruger is built like a tank. I've go one also a CZ. Like them both..

great apppreciation for all 17's-----if I didn't like the 17 Fireball so much (reloadeable) I'd favor the HMR--but I do get
    a great deal of use out of the 17M2--has 1 coyote to its credit
    (45yds-neck shot) but it too was a mangy one that was apparently
    going to steal a rabbit already dispatched by the little M2--
    that Ruger would look good in a pseudo-M5 stock!!!

Got this guy yesterday...bullet impacted in the middle of his head literaly right between the eyes and some of the bullet exited his neck just in front of his right leg...absolutly teriffic little round !
    001.jpg

002.jpg