• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyotes 4, Hunter 1

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I spent a day last week with my partner Steve, looking for some coyotes. We found a few. Something else we found is that I still have a lot to learn.

Our first dog of the day was a mangy sob that had us pinned down. We had to crawl a ways to get into a shooting position. I suppose I should have taken the head (head/neck) on shot at this guy at a reasonable 425 yards, but I instead elected to wait. The coyote decided something was amiss, and trotted off. He ended up at a 485 yard broadside shot. The problem is that the VH reticle in the Leupold, (according to my ballistics profile) is that it has a stadia that equals 400, and one that equals 535. It's a big gap. I guessed and guessed quite wrong at the amount of holdover, and got to watch a coyotes' ass bounce away.

Lesson learned: Dialing is WAY more accurate than holdover, especially as the distance grows. If presented with a shot that is closer in yardage to what the reticle subtends, take it. If it is not close to reticle value, then quickly dial. Chances are, the situation will not improve, only get worse and leave you scrambling in the wake. The coyote is quite a small target and the margin of error is not in your favor regardless of inherent rifle accuracy or supposed marksmanship skill.

Before we left this ranch, we decided to shoot at 600 yards. This is about the limit for Steve's AR15 shooting the .223AI and 65 SGK load. We shot at a cow pie on a barren hillside. The pie was small and would fit into a hat. Steve's holdovers nearly got him to the target. I used the fifth subtention on the VH and it equals 600 yards. I missed the pie by about an inch. The elevation was perfect. I held NO wind. The AR10T in .243 and the 87 VMAX combo in conjunction with the 6.5-20 VXIII LR VH reticle is quite the long range system. It is rather heavy, but the utility and accuracy more than make up for the extra weight in my opinion.

The next stand was a completely different ranch. We called out over a ridge and came up with nothing. We walked to the next ridge line over, called, and spotted a coyote coming in from over a mile away. He ended up at a leisurely 300 yards away. He was looking right at us. I sent an 87 VMAX his way and it cruised right past him. WTF?! I tried to get back on him as he tore off, but the next couple of shots were totally in vain. He ended up crossing a fence and stopped in the open to mark his territory. He seemed to be rather upset with the fact that the "coyote" that had lured him there had treated him so unaffectionately. To top that off, the ki-yi's after the shots, appeared to have him believe that the encroaching, trespassing coyotes, were now packing heat. This was unacceptable.

I watched him squat, cock his tail up into the air, and squeeze a turd out while he threw his head back and yapped away at us. Steve tells me, "650". I held the 600 yard stadia (9.35 MOA) on his nose and let one fly. Neither of us heard the meat report, but the now spinning coyote piled up a few seconds later. He was a beautiful blonde male that unfortunately had quite the mange going on the underside. Here's a couple pics of that fellow:
IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Lesson #2: Sometimes I'm capable of some pretty remarkable shooting when I actually pull my head out and realize that no shot is a given. Every shot counts, especially the first one. Keep your head in the game.

We tried a third stand on yet another ranch, and come up with nothing.

Our fourth stand was on a sand hill that has overwatch on miles of prairie. After some calling, we are responded to by three coyotes over a mile away. They are situated next to a calving heifer and are annoyed by "our" presence, but are definitely not leaving the veal buffet. We decide to close the distance and try calling again. We make it to about 825 yards to the heifer and set up and begin to call. What appears to be the alpha pair begin to make their way to us. A dark manged dog remains with the cow.

The pair make their way to within about 625 yards, but drop down into an arroyo, and out of sight. I reposition and send a greeting out to Mr. Mangy at 825 and miss. The elevation is perfect, windage, not so much. I missed by about a foot and half or so. It's tough to feel any sort of wind when you are prone in the brush. The maximum ordinate puts the round up where it gets buffeted pretty well. He takes off too.

I had a feeling that none of these dogs would be vacating the area for long. That calf was just too tempting. I called some more and discovered that the first pair had made their way more than a mile south of us. We again decided to close the distance and they ended up about 850 yards from us. No amount of howling would get them to respond. We did a little ki-yi and they came in to us, flat out. I was caught out of position, (prone) with the scope nearly zoomed all the way out, and my spotter and I did not communicate which one I should shoot at. I never sat up until the last moment and shot and lost both of them.

Lesson #3: The coyotes are not telepathic and don't understand your planning and wouldn't knowingly commit suicide anyway. They follow an entirely different script that may or may not work out in your favor. Adapt to the evolving situation, because that is what the coyotes will do. In the end, learning is sometimes frustrating, but it can be fun too. It's the nature of the challenge of the hunt.
Eric

Re: Coyotes 4, Hunter 1

They are the hardest things to hunt. Good job btw, im still working on my first. They are really smart. Looks like a big one, ours are about 30-40 lbs here. Nice job.
smile.gif

He was pretty good sized. I'm 5'10" & 180 if that's any indication. I've killed bunches of them, but even with experience, comes learning. I seem to learn more each trip, even though I thought I already knew a lot.

I've killed 40-70 for 10 years and hunting them for more than 30. I should've said to get into a sitting position and jerk the bipod legs out, but my headache and other things got the best of me. It's rarely perfect and always a learning process. Heluva' shot though on that other dog!!

Nice work! I have a little advice. When your calling hold as still as you can. Coyotes mainly key off of motion. Honestly I watched a guy call one in wearing a Santa suit. Seriously! Gullies help conceal movement so thats what I mainly use. Good luck though. Keep it up!

We use a couple of different calls. I was using an E.L.K. call. More often than not, I try and start out prone. The areas we hunt do not have an abundance of taller vegetation and it is rather sparse at that. We can use this a couple of ways. First, it allows you to prone out next to some of this stuff and you are at the same height. It works for some concealment. Next, it allows us to glass very far, very effectively.

As far as movement goes, I'll agree. Most of the time, the coyotes are far enough away initially that movement is not much of an issue. It's that 300-400 yard range where things start coming into focus for them and all of your inadequacies and mistakes magnify themselves. I need to go out and "learn" some more!

One dog is better than none. My stats for the weekend sucked Coyotes 2 me 0. I went out Sunday night and we were hunting over a road kill. Found a fantastic spot(depending on wind) that would draw a dog out just enough downwind to get a shot in a clearing. Anyone that hunts Michigans upper peninsula understands how much cover those SOB's have. We got out there and proceeded to here three different packs fire up around us. We did not use the call this time we waited them out. 4-5 hours later, litterally frozen to the rocks from the snow melting underneath us we heard something below us from the 60' hill we were hunting from. I was prone and he was backed up to a cedar sitting. Sure enough it was a dog not a deer like my buddy thought. He was snaking around the little cover he had. He was moving quickly and went over a small hill and kinda(this is where I screwed up) was in the open. He was at about 140 yds and about 50 yds to cover when I barked to get him to stop. He turned broadside and looked up. I put it in the crosshairs and noticed some blurring through this single row of birch trees. Pulled the trigger..boom..DEFLECTION. If I would of waited for him to get another 40 yards it would have been a clear shot. Yes, a very small pocket to shoot into but no fricking trees.
2nd dog came the next day around 11:00 am on a different set. We were using the fox pro on this one. Fawn in distress. We were moving down a shorline and this was are second stop about 500yds from the first. Thats when nature called me. Silly me left the spot without my gun about 100yds away. I thought I saw something move so I called my partner and told him(phone)and told him I would hang tight. 10 minutes pass and I get up to look and spot the yote coming for the call 200yds away moving through a grassy opening into a island of cover. I called my partner again and warned him. He never saw it... Seen its tracks in the snow. If my jack in the box was not broke or we would of brought a decoy of some sort this would of maybe diverted his attention. STRONG learning curve for the weekend but worth every minute. My advice them dirty sob's will use any cover available and assume that is where they will be and always take your gun..