• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Coyotes killed by team AZ Precision

Keith Johns

Phoenix Custom Rifles
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
About 300 yards I guessed. Didnt have a rangefinder but I used my reticle to range it. 9" Coyote took up 3moa, hit dead center with 300yard pin.
IMG_01821.jpg

IMG_01841.jpg

Couldn't have done it without my AZ Precision bolt knob!
wink.gif

Re: Coyote

You are fortunate you can hunt them now, the brush is to thick to see anything around here until Oct.
We will be hunting some different areas in WY this year for deer and antelope and I hope to get in some yote hunting. They are new areas so not sure how much dog time we will have. It is my favorite hunting and sure gets my heart rate up there.

yotefever
grin.gif

Ya coyotes are my favorite animal to hunt. All small predators in general.
They're smarter, faster, and smaller than most other game animals. And you can hunt them most of the year.
Best practice you can get!

Had one in the crosshairs Saturday night(private land night hunt) at about 105 yards looking through a pile of brush. As I was about to pull the trigger on a head shot, my buddy turned the light off. Why? he thought it was scaring him. When he turned it back on it was gone. Rule #1 Dont turn the light off ! Keep it still so its not causing shadows around the critter. Moving lights scare them quicker.

Normal lights now. I used to use a red lens with a scope mounted light. I have run into problems here in Michigan with the amount of dew/moisture in the air. More or less like fog inhibiting light transmission. End up spotting one but unable to see body just eyes. I have been using a 6 d battery mag light to find them. Once found hit them with a big spot.

Re: Coyotes killed by team AZ Precision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. 9" Coyote took up 3moa, hit dead center with 300yard pin.
</div></div>

Nice yote, what measurement did you take to get 9" and 3MOA. Which scope are you using?

You know we still do our monthly precision rifle match down in phoenix. Next time your down, look us up.

There's a bracket in my scope that's about 3 moa(2.9 I think). Figured yote was 9" deep. He filled in the bracket completely. Held for 300 and squeezed.
Leupold with varminter reticle. I keep my scope turned down to about 15x and it's taped there so it won't move. The gap between the main hair and the 1st one down is 3moa or very close, like 2.9.

I turn my scope down so I have a 200, 300, 400, 500, and about 560 yard hold point. Makes holdover very fast

I'm not familiar with the Nikon. Never owned or used one.

The leupy is pretty good but my favorite coyote scope so far is my old Swarovski 6-18x50 with the TDS retical.

Had that on my 300WM. I had a hold point for 300, 400, 500, 630, and 760 yards. So out to 800 I could range and hold for drop very fast. Dogs feel pretty safe at 500+ yards
smile.gif

Awesome shooting, makes me want to load up and go look for some of them myself!

What kind of damage do the 95 Bergers do compared to the 80 BT, accuracy?

From what I can tell there's not much difference between the two on coyotes. For accuracy and BC the Bergers win. But the 80gr ballistic tips are made for opening up on coyotes so I'd say they're more effective at delivering energy.
Both work great and leave it up to the shooter to deliver the bullet to the right spot.

Hunting in our areas has been a bitch lately because of all the arhcery antelope hunts going on right now. We walk in for MILES just to see some ya-hoo drive past us in his 4x4 probably road hunting like a pussy)while we're calling at a stand.

Grrr.

For one it's illegal here. Two it seems a bit lazy doesn't it?

Sorry if it offends anyone, but certain hunting "techniques" really bother me. We don't have much of the sport left to enjoy as it is. So when people hunt in lazy and unethical ways it bothers me. Road hunting from vehicles, baiting game, geneticaly engineering game, those sorts of things.

Don't you agree? I work really hard when I hunt and that's what makes it fun. I don't think hunting is about drinking beer and being lazy. That's what the couch is for.