• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CQB Rifle barrel length question

Opiy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Would a 14" be entirely to long for a inside house/building weapon? What is ideal barrel length? I am thinking SWAT style entry weapon. I am just weighing my options here on a new firearm (assuming the alabama SBR bill passes very soon) for close range shooting.

What do some of you guys use in barrel length?

Re: CQB Rifle barrel length question

If you are getting a SBR go for 9 or 10" if you really need to be shooting inside a house. If you just want it to look good go a little longer cause of the noise.

I personally havent cleared many rooms or houses but I definatly like the look of an SBR

There is a trade off with everything. The shorter you go the more handy it is. But the shorter you go the less velocity you have. The less velocity you have the less down range energy. That being said. I want an 11.5, dropping 2 inches isnt enought for me to warrant paying 200 bucks. An 11.5 with an AAC M4-1000 will come back to about 16 inches or a little more I cant remember exactly how long .... and it is not unweildy.

Yup, the 14.5" is optimized quite well for performance on an AR. SBRs are great and as mentioned are still compact with a can, though there's obviously more steps involved with the legalities.

I think if I got an SBR I would definately want to put a can on it.

lets be honest how many houses/buildings are you going to clear???? Get the 14.5 and throw a can on there. I have a 10.25 that is my entry gun, i must say its completely obnoxious. I would go with the 14.5 and call it a day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lets be honest how many houses/buildings are you going to clear???? Get the 14.5 and throw a can on there. I have a 10.25 that is my entry gun, i must say its completely obnoxious. I would go with the 14.5 and call it a day</div></div>

Honestly? Probably zero unless I were to take a training course or something. Kinda wish I could shoot a 10.5 just to see what it is like for comparison. The 10.5 with can doesn't seem bad so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lets be honest how many houses/buildings are you going to clear???? Get the 14.5 and throw a can on there. I have a 10.25 that is my entry gun, i must say its completely obnoxious. I would go with the 14.5 and call it a day </div></div>
Its not just door kicking, houses and buildings you are going to clear. I have a 16 inch gun at the moment and my M4-1000 is heavy hanging off the end of it all day during a training class.

Why would you pay 200 bucks to the gov to be able to only drop an inch and a half off your length? To me that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. If you are going to pay for a tax stamp to SBR I would rather drop back to an 11.5. Anything shorter than a 10.5 and you have to change to a pistol length gas tube and move the gas hole I do believe. And most suppressor companies will not warranty a can with a barrel less than 10.5 inches. I have been told by my local dealer that they are seeing more baffle strikes with 10.5 inch barrels than they are with the 11.5's.

You are in Alabam where SBR;s arent allowed so if you wanted to you could drop back to a 14.7inch and perm attach an extended flash suppressor on it and youw ould then be over 16 inches and no longer an SBR.

i have never had any problem with my 10.25 and running my can. Also you dont have to have a pistol length gas tube, mine is running on a carbine. i see that shooting in a class with a can and a 14.5 or 16 would get tiring, but the OP mentioned nothing about it, he said whats the best length for house/building clearing

16+ isnt a SBR anything under is unless its a registered pistol and then you run into a whole lot more limitations as to what you can and cant have on the weapon .yeah and in alabama a SBR is out of the question, guess ill have to give uncle Bob a call and get him to approve that bill.

Here is my "entry" rifle:

Weapons-030.jpg

It works just fine. The trick is to TRAIN with it. Been through many a falling down dirtbag flophouse with it over the last several years. It's a 14.5" barrel with a permenant QD and a CTS Suppressor (they are now SAS). The suppressor only adds 4" to the 16" oal barrel. So you end up with a rifle that is the same length as a 20" with a collapsible stock.

Which would you rather have go off next to your head? A 10.5" with a kirnk or a suppressed 14.5"?

I am in the process of building a 10.5" entry gun to host the suppressor just to see how much different the handling is. Unfortunately the buying frenzy and price hikes have slowed that somewhat.

If you ARE going to go SBR, go 10.5 or 11.5" and make sure you can get it to run. Lots of problems with those lengths if you don't know how to diagnose AR issues. No reason to SBR a 14.5". If you want a 14.5" then have a Phantom, Vortex or extended A2 permanently attached.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah and in alabama a SBR is out of the question, guess ill have to give uncle Bob a call and get him to approve that bill. </div></div>

If I am not wrong here I think they are supposed to be voting on it thurdays and friday in the senate so I sure hope something good happens. BTW how are you familiar with Alabama? Family here?

Issued: Colt Commando, 11.5" bbl. a 14.5" Knights Armament M4 and an MP-5 w/supressor. For entry's any of the above would work. Like LoneWolf said, TRAIN.

For vehicle operations and areas where space is real tight (Bus Asslts, Aircraft), I always went with the shorter Commando or MP.

However, any of them would have worked, it was just my preference.

I am thinking of getting one of those LWRC M6A2 in 6.8SPC. Barrel length choices are 10.5, 12.7, 14.7, and 16.1. I would like to go with the 12.7 but waiting to see what happens.

yeah i am familiar with alabama, grew up in birmingham, went to auburn. Also as far fetched as this sounds somehow Gov Bob Riley and i are family. My cousin married into his family or some shit like that. Been shooting with him a bunch

He has to be related to somene but it's good to hear he is a gun guy
smile.gif