• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cqbss on 12" carbine... overkill?

11B-B4

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a 12" LMT Piston carbine... first barrel i had for it litteraly didnt work... long story.

The new barrel is incredible. with regullar 55gr brass training ammo this thing is shooting almost an inch at 100 yards.

I was wondering maybe since its so accurate I can drop the red dot (Compm4s) and stretch its legs a bit.

Do you think the cqbss would be overkill for this gun or no?

All thoughts appreciated.

-Evan

Re: Cqbss on 12" carbine... overkill?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 12" LMT Piston carbine... first barrel i had for it litteraly didnt work... long story.

The new barrel is incredible. with regullar 55gr brass training ammo this thing is shooting almost an inch at 100 yards.

I was wondering maybe since its so accurate I can drop the red dot (Compm4s) and stretch its legs a bit.

Do you think the cqbss would be overkill for this gun or no?

All thoughts appreciated.

-Evan </div></div>

Don't see any reason why you would need it. I'm guessing your use is primarily on a static range, in which case you should be able to ring steel at 600+ with just an aimpoint or irons and shouldn't have to worry about target ID, which is about all that giant 8x is going to do for you on that upper, especially with 55 grain training ammo that isn't going to group worth a shit at that distance in any case.

it is a bit bulky after looking at photos. Maybe a 1-4 is more suited to a carbine.

I like the 1:1 sight picture that an Aimpoint offers, but i like having a little extra magnification. Acog's are nice but are not quite as fast for close range work as I would like and you always use a little bit of situational awareness with a magnified optic.

Has anyone used the mark6 1-6x? Perhaps that is better, or maybe I should look at some of the 1-4 scopes. I had a vortex PST 1-4 but for some reason i didnt like it too much.

What do you plan on using it for that you feel you need 1-6x or 1-8x on a 556 sbr? Without knowing that its tough to give you a meaningful answer.

I have a MK6 on order and have looked throught the Vortex 1-6 I really like both. I went with the MK 6 because it hasa the wind holds, but the vortex is really nice too. if I could afford it I would have on on all my AR's. Have you thought about a magnifier for your aimpoint?

To me the cqbss would be a bit much on an sbr. I just recently put my 1,4x elcan on my sbr and that is about as much mag I could see myself needing on an sbr. Realistically you aren't going to be shooting long distances with the rifle so the extra bulk of that optic is not really needed IMO.

ive tried

T1/magnifier
CompM4s/magnifier
PST 1-4

The new 1-6/-8 offerings intrigue me but maybe are not worth it for this gun. I always find myself drawn to want to shoot longer range. I'm not much of an SBR guy. I suppose I have to probably force myself into it. I have many years on Acogs and Eotech's.

At this point im thinking of maybe trying the TA33 or TA11.
I have heard both are decent scopes. The TA33 more forgiving from what I have read, and the TA11 a wider FOV and heavier.

I will probably try these and if that doesnt work I can revert back. The only reason why im chasing magnification with this short gun is the barrel is freakishly accurate.

Fuck it, I'd do it. Not the CQBSS, but a 1-4 I mean. People are going to overthink the hell out of this in their posts. More magnification's not a bad thing as long as you're not sacrificing anything close in, and I don't believe a <span style="text-decoration: underline">good</span> 1-4 sacrifices anything close in (a shitty 1-4 will).

Try the TA33 or TA11 if you want. They're not my thing, especially on an SBR.

Maybe try the Vortex 1-6 or something. I haven't tried any 1-6s yet, but as long as the low end is a good 1x (and not 1.5x like the Leupold MR/T or something).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mumbles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck it, I'd do it. Not the CQBSS, but a 1-4 I mean. People are going to overthink the hell out of this in their posts. <span style="font-weight: bold">More magnification's not a bad thing as long as you're not sacrificing anything close in, and I don't believe a <span style="text-decoration: underline">good</span> 1-4 sacrifices anything close in (a shitty 1-4 will).</span>

Try the TA33 or TA11 if you want. They're not my thing, especially on an SBR.

Maybe try the Vortex 1-6 or something. I haven't tried any 1-6s yet, but as long as the low end is a good 1x (and not 1.5x like the Leupold MR/T or something). </div></div>

While this is pretty true with a high quality 1-4, once you're going to 1-8 and even the 1-6's I've seen so far things start to get wonky in terms of close in. I would not want to have to clear a room with a CQBSS without some sort of offset sights.

I was tempted to try Mark8 on my 7.62 12.7" SBR but the extra bulk and weight ruled it out for me when i started comparing it to the Mark6 1-6 and taking into account realistic use of the combo. Now I'm "patiently" waiting for a form 4 to clear and 1 Mark6 to ship.

I would do a 1-4x scope for the 12". ELCAN 1/4x, MeOpta ZD, the Leupold 1-6x and the Vortex 1-6x would be more than what you need.

The Leupold CQBSS is an outstanding scope I use one on a 18".

Mike @ CST

I would pick up a meopta 1-4x. It has an illuminated red dot and doesn't break the bank, especially if you are able to find an older k-dot model.

The Meopta ZD is very good value and also gives you an Aimpoint bright reticle. The reticle Meopta use in this scope however doesn't give holds for wind or moving targets, which is its shortcoming especially if you are reaching out past 300 yds.

Cant speak of optic choice, but if your looking at shooting a sbr past 100 yards, I'd look at 62-77grain ammo, and not 55 grain stuff.