• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cracked Bell carlson stock...

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
i picked up a rough but cheap bell carlson stock a few weeks ago from another member.

as i was removing the previous bedding, i cracked the stock :mad:

anyway to repair, or at least reinforce it?

far side in this pic

20130221_172243_zps972edce8.jpg

IMG_20130221_172119_zpsb64598f9.jpg

overhead shot

IMG_20130221_172141_zps490a5d67.jpg

I've done the same thing only in front of the recoil lug and on the other side. I opened it up a bit then packed in some devcon and clamped together. After the devcon set up, I sanded it down then painted it. No problems, so far.

Jesus fuck what are you trying to remove that bedding with?

I would think since it has the aluminum block it should be ok to patch it up as described above.

Jesus fuck what are you trying to remove that bedding with?

I would think since it has the aluminum block it should be ok to patch it up as described above.

Not as bad as it looks. Around the bedding block was a really thick layer of devcon, so I was just chipping pieces away

You guys are too funny. I actually just stuck it down my garbage disposal and hoped for the best. =)

HA! At least you have a sense of humor about it. I usually use a pissed of Raccoon (held by his back legs) to remove old bedding, the rabid possum method is a little too aggressive for my taste.

On a serious note, like others have said already, relieve the crack a bit on both sides and fill it with Devcon. It shouldn't be an issue.

Follow typical crack repair "V-grind" procedure, where you "V" it out. Make sure to go as deep as is required to get to the root of the crack. Fill with epoxy. Fair it out before epoxy fully sets to minimize required sanding. Sand as needed. 3M makes an underbody automotive spray that's all splattery, and recreates the splatter texture like most stocks have.

No big deal.

Also, don't use grinding stones on aluminum (I see that dremel stone on the left side of your first pic). They get caked up and stop working. When you've got a real grinder and not a Dremel, you can actually blow up a grinding wheel if by grinding aluminum.