• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cracked HS Precision Stock

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
After shooting in 100F heat in the desert I decided that black was not the optimal color, so I took my Savage Model 12 LRP apart yesterday to paint it. Long story short, after painting the stock a light coyote tan I noticed a crack in the forend. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm concerned that if I try to superglue it I run the risk of making barrel contact and disturbing the harmonics of the barrel.

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

On the bright side the paint job came out good!

painted.jpg

I have used JB weld for similar repairs and been happy. I would try to open the crack up in a v shape and then pack JB weld in it, sand it, then repaint.

Ryan

The HS stock is fiberglass with a foam core. You can use an epoxy to fix but if you just want to hide the crack a bondo that works for fiberglass will do the job.

Are you sure its not just a crack in the paint? If not, its probably nothing to freak out about. What I would do is sand it down, take some marine tex and fill it in and sand down like bondo on a car. Then repaint. You may even consider some Rustoleum or Krylon stone texture paint to give it that factory texture so it hides where you'd been sanding.

What did you use to paint that rifle with? Also,as its been said before,the cracks from the look of it dont look to be to deep. I probly wouldnt mess with them.

If it is truely a crack and you want to fix it, start with some low viscosity epoxy resin. I use WEST System from boating supply places.

A small kit is enough.

Mix up the epoxy and run a bead along the crack, use a hair dryer or a heat gun (CAREFULLY) to warm the area. The resin will wick into the crack. Wipe off any massive excess with a paper towel..

Allow to cure.

THEN, if you want to for cosmetic reasons, fill with Marine Tex or Bondo. Or some more epxoy resin with a filler such as micro balloons.

If you have a larger gap, you can buy strengthening fillers, such as milled glass fibers, to add to the resin to make a structure paste.

I have experience fixed fiberglass body work on my race car. TOO much experience. :)

Well guys I tried the sanding & epoxy method and it resulted in my barrel being close enough to touch the inside of the stock. I tried a quick flex of the barrel by pinching it with my thumb and index finger along the side of the stock and I could hear rubbing on the epoxy.

So I took it all back apart and removed the epoxy with an exacto knife and managed to strip the forward bottom metal screw when putting it all back together!

I can hear DFOOSKING saying "I told you so!" :)

Which stripped, the screw or threads in the action? Savage does get too short on front screw length. Brownells sell a factory extra long screw set. It is a set for 700 bdl, but one screw will work. Will need to trim but not hard to do. I like to have 3-4 complete revs before it gets torqued down.

I had a B&C stock on one of my rifles that ended up cracking on the tip of the forend. I fixed it with a Mcree chassis