• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cracked Spuhr mount

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Update #2: A new mount is on the way from mile high. It's great to see a dealer take inventory from their stock vs waiting for one to come from Sweden. They're also letting me hold into this one until the replacement is here so my rifle is still up and running. Great CS from Spuhr and Mile High. Most who know me know I hate using CS but it's still comfort knowing that when an extremely isolated event such as this happens they are there to make it right. This isn't getting tossed in the trash either, Hakan will be analyzing the metal to see what was wrong. I like a company who doesn't blow smoke up your ass.

Update: I heard from Hakan@Spuhr and he explained it's likely bad or wrong metal that caused the failure. He said it's a very uncommon problem and that Mile High will be replacing it and he will get them back to analyze the metal.

I guess anything can fail but I never thought it would be this as beefy as they are. I was taking some height measurements for a friend when I noticed what appeared to be a deep scratch that's in a hard place to get a scratch. It turns out my properly torqued (with snap on tq wrench) spuhr mount has cracked recently and it's taken no recent spills. There's plenty of clearance between the scope and front rail (.120") so it wasn't from contact under recoil.

I'm happy to report however that the rifle has not had any sort of accuracy loss or zero shift. That's pretty impressive to me. I guess we'll find out how great their CS is, hopefully I don't have to send out my mount and have my rifle down with upcoming matches.

Edit: and yes, that's another crack that you can see on the inside of the far screw hold too.

Edit again: I'm not sure if it's visible in the pic but the rear ring is starting to crack too.

Last edited:
    I will call mile high, that's actually where I purchased it. I just got to looking closer and the rear ring is starting to fracture too. It doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence when I know it's on a super straight rail and it hasn't had any recent spills and was properly torqued.

Randy is awesome, think he will take care of you without any bs. That is alarming though, for such an expensive mount. I'll have to take a close look at mine. Sorry to hear about that.

red, Diann will call you today, no problem getting you a new mount under warranty.

Now that's service!

Looks like it may have been overtorqued. Spuhr and Mile High have world class service so you will get taken care of.

Maybe I can use you in the future for fail testing some of my products(?)

Conversion to inlbs is about 22, I used loctite which acts as a lubricant so I do 20.

Send it my way, if it's going to break, it will break on me.

Me as well. I can unravel ball bearings. If it can be broken, it will happen on my watch. But glad you are being taken care of. haaken is pretty awesome and MHS is a no brainer. So you did good all the way around in your choices in equipment.

Glad to hear this is not a common issue and hopefully an isolated incident.

from the images shown, the metal looks rather thin in the area where the rings are bored out to accept the screws, especially the outer perimeter (where the cracks are occurring) ... its a problem waiting to happen... just my opinion .... I am NOT an engineer

Last edited:
    FYI. I PMed Kortik, the designer of the Borkatools torque wrench, regarding reduced torque ratings for lubricated parts. Boris gave me a reduction of 35% for oil or grease lubricated parts. He said he did not have a figure for Loctite but a WAG would be a 25% reduction.