• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crafty nerds, I need you

The D

We’re not supposed to be nice!
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    I have a chess set that I need to protect. My grandmother made this for me 30 years ago(yikes, I’m getting old) and I’ve recently dug it out and started teaching my oldest son. I need to find something to coat the pieces that is clear, so I can still see the details of the pieces, and that will protect the paint from chips. I’ll attach a few pics to show everyone what I’m working with. Any and all ideas will be entertained.

The pieces and board are hollow so I’ll probably fill them with some sort of epoxy or urethane to protect them a bit more and add a bit of weight to them as well
    1655891927297.jpeg

1655891950282.jpeg

Cool set, I enjoyed teaching my kids to play on a hand carved set I bought in Afghanistan.

Maybe just some clear coat spray paint to protect the finish? I also put felt on the bottom of mine so they slid better and help prevent any chipping of the board/pieces

Reactions: The D
    They already have felt on the bottom

I thought about a basic clear coat spray paint but I’m not sure that’s enough. The pieces are not that stable so I was thinking some sort of rubber-ish coating. But, maybe filling the inside with urethane will add enough weight to steady them better

I should also add that I have two more young sons to teach still, so this coating needs to be durable enough to survive a lot of use(hopefully).

I also saw pics of your set in the chess thread. That looks really cool

I'd probably look more toward a storage solution than a coating for protection .. They look to be ceramic glazed?

I'd probably look more toward a storage solution than a coating for protection .. They look to be ceramic glazed?

Don’t do it!!! Just take care of them. Maybe a little furniture polish or similar.

If the board is aging. Some new finish, but figure out what she used and use the same thing. 30’years ago, probably urethane. But don’t put anything on the stone pieces!

Sirhr
    Yes, glazed ceramic.

The only way to keep these safe would be to build a dedicated table in its own room and that’s not realistic, unfortunately

It does look like glazed ceramic to me as well.

It is not paint, it is a glass-like coating that is fuzed to the piece at high temperature. In this case... whatever is causing the glaze to chip off will not be stopped or even slowed down or affected in any way by any coating or finish you may apply.

If the glaze is chipping or falling off, it is a fault that in my opinion, there is nothing you can do to stop.

However... It does not appear that the glaze is chipping off, so that indicates to me that the glaze/body "fit" is appropriate for the pieces. Sometimes, after a piece is fired, changes occur in the ware and the glaze can separate, but this doesn't look to be the case. The glaze is pretty much hard as glass and durable as can be. It requires no coating or finish what-so-ever, but you can wax it or use furniture polish or something to maybe make it feel less slippery? less prone to be dropped by little fingers...

Anyway, I like the idea of filling the cavity and making them heavier, hopefully more stable.

My handle "Mudburner" comes from years of pottery making.

Two choices. Put the set away so that little fingers can’t break the pieces. Or, use it as intended and let the honest wear show, like that of a well used and cherished firearm.

It does look like glazed ceramic to me as well.

It is not paint, it is a glass-like coating that is fuzed to the piece at high temperature. In this case... whatever is causing the glaze to chip off will not be stopped or even slowed down or affected in any way by any coating or finish you may apply.

If the glaze is chipping or falling off, it is a fault that in my opinion, there is nothing you can do to stop.

However... It does not appear that the glaze is chipping off, so that indicates to me that the glaze/body "fit" is appropriate for the pieces. Sometimes, after a piece is fired, changes occur in the ware and the glaze can separate, but this doesn't look to be the case. The glaze is pretty much hard as glass and durable as can be. It requires no coating or finish what-so-ever, but you can wax it or use furniture polish or something to maybe make it feel less slippery? less prone to be dropped by little fingers...

Anyway, I like the idea of filling the cavity and making them heavier, hopefully more stable.

My handle "Mudburner" comes from years of pottery making.
    There are chips in the glaze that are from being knocked around, whether from being stored and transported just in a shoe box for years or being knocked over by my kids. I can also see tiny cracks in the glaze that I think have occurred naturally.

If I were to apply some sort of clear epoxy resin coating, because I’m paranoid and want to overdo something, will this have any detrimental effects?

Only thing I’d try offhand would be future floor polish (or whatever it’s called now or whatever it’s called in the US.) Should protect them from the environment and is easy to clean off if needed. Not sure it would work for what you want though.

I agree with most above me here. Leaving the stock finish and taking care of them is a better idea than some clear cost that wont stick, will flake off and will look like shit. I would only put on something that is easily taken off or if there is some sort of wax for this type of thing, try that.

If it was from my Gramma, I'd set it up as some kind of display away from (juvenile) hands. WAY too precious to subject to damage. Plastic replicas of that style are available on eBay for small change. It's called a Ganine or Gothic chess set, and if I had a need to teach kids with something resembling Gramma's work, that'd be the set I'd use as a substitute. They're not very expensive--$20-$40.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284848630688?hash=item42524d2ba0:g:SGIAAOSwIRVinnJU

I'm a big chess fiend. To be honest, this style is not the "most popular" amongst chess players because the design of the pieces resemble each other just enough that the player must devote a little attention to figuring out which piece they're looking at; "who is the bishop vs the rook or knight?", where the pieces in a Staunton set (the most classic and familiarly typical design) are so distinctively different there's no question "who's who" and the player is never distracted by thoughts of "which piece is that"? so for a beginner, Stauntons are better because all attention can be afforded on how a piece moves.

You might try "Dipping" them in a two part epoxy resin. Ive used that to pour so I don't know if dipping would work.

A second idea would be to spray them with something more industrial like an automotive clear coat. That might give you a thicker finish.

Tiny cracks in glaze are called crazing, and some glazes are formulated specifically for this effect. Celadon, for example. So your grandmother may have chosen this intentionally? Or not, who knows... Small chips or other damage are a given, I suppose, if the pieces are knocked around loose in a box. I REALLY like Mac's suggestion, as above. I don't know of any other way to protect a small glazed ceramic object from damage. Anyway, good luck. My mom did ceramics/slip casting back in the 70's and got a lot of enjoyment from it. Ceramic molds are still available. You may actually be able to find the same mold set and make replacement pieces?

Everyone, thanks for the replies.

I’m going to add another twist to the story. In the same box the ceramic pieces were, there was another marble set of pieces that were my grandfather’s. I was talking to my parents and mentioned it and they said the marble board is at their house. We’re going to visit my family over July 4th weekend so I’m bringing a marble chess board back in my suitcase. So it looks like I’ll be able to use the ceramic set with my stepdaughter and let my little monsters learn on a marble set. They probably can’t mess up a marble chess set…

Don’t drop a marble piece on tile. They won’t fare well…

No tile in the house. Carpet in the kids’ play room so that’s safe. The worst they’ll do is mark up a wood floor

I think they're ceramic...but that is still applicable. A box with foam cut outs (as posted above) would be easy enough to put together, and inexpensive.
    See post #20, the plot has thickened

Reactions: Cowpokey
    See post #20, the plot has thickened
    I missed that...pictures get my attention. Look! something SHINY!!!

I have a set that I made in high school 30+ years ago, the ceramic pieces look to be about the same size as yours. It was an "industrial arts" program, which included making a three tiered box, with molded foam for each piece in the bottom two sections. I would get it for a picture, but it's on top of the cabinets in my office and I'm too lazy at the moment. This is the only picture of the box/case I built I have on the computer...it's a bit dusty from sitting on a shelf for a few years before I built my new board.

chess1.JPG

The new board with the ceramic pieces I poured for that project.

playtime.jpg

I missed that...pictures get my attention. Look! something SHINY!!!

I have a set that I made in high school 30+ years ago, the ceramic pieces look to be about the same size as yours. It was an "industrial arts" program, which included making a three tiered box, with molded foam for each piece in the bottom two sections. I would get it for a picture, but it's on top of the cabinets in my office and I'm too lazy at the moment. This is the only picture of the box/case I built I have on the computer...it's a bit dusty from sitting on a shelf for a few years before I built my new board.

View attachment 7897238

The new board with the ceramic pieces I poured for that project.

View attachment 7897241
    Nice work.

I want to make my own board in some fashion at some point. I have a concept clanging around in my head of combining a board with storage drawers and a table, but also having them able to be separated. I have no idea how I’d do that though, it sounds complicated and my woodworking skills are not my strength

Nice work.

I want to make my own board in some fashion at some point. I have a concept clanging around in my head of combining a board with storage drawers and a table, but also having them able to be separated. I have no idea how I’d do that though, it sounds complicated and my woodworking skills are not my strength
    I was lucky...our high school had a full wood shop along with a welding shop, and we did engine tear downs and rebuilds with everything from lawn mowers to V8s and farm tractor motors. I took every shop class available. I still make furniture (small projects) in my garage, could use some more wood working machines, but I'm getting along with what I have for now. My dad has a full wood shop, and has told me I'll need to bring a big truck and/or trailer at some point to move all of his machines to my place....I think I'll need a 40'x60' shed just to place everything and be able to move around while using them. If you have any questions on your table/storage/board combo fire away; lots of folks here are pretty handy.

I was lucky...our high school had a full wood shop along with a welding shop, and we did engine tear downs and rebuilds with everything from lawn mowers to V8s and farm tractor motors. I took every shop class available. I still make furniture (small projects) in my garage, could use some more wood working machines, but I'm getting along with what I have for now. My dad has a full wood shop, and has told me I'll need to bring a big truck and/or trailer at some point to move all of his machines to my place....I think I'll need a 40'x60' shed just to place everything and be able to move around while using them. If you have any questions on your table/storage/board combo fire away; lots of folks here are pretty handy.
    My high school was equipped pretty nicely too but I wasn’t super interested at the time. But the thought of having a massive shop now gives me a raging boner now. Woodwork, metalwork, car projects, all of it

My high school was equipped pretty nicely too but I wasn’t super interested at the time. But the thought of having a massive shop now gives me a raging boner now. Woodwork, metalwork, car projects, all of it
    Keep a look out for estate sales and stuff along those lines. Get the good old heavy machines; current productions stuff is garbage unless you're willing to spend a lot.

Got my new set home and organized. The stone board made our small suitcase almost as heavy as the full-size suitcase

1657307251065.jpeg

1657307287891.jpeg

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    Now that I have this stone set I don’t think I’ll mess with coating the outside of the ceramic set. I do think I’ll still fill the inside with urethane though

Where did you get the black and white set from? My dad has a similar set that has a piece or two missing and I’d love to replace them.

It was my grandfather’s. I was visiting family and brought the board home this week. I’m trying to get some info from my dad and uncle right now, I forgot to ask while I was home.

If you search for “Aztec carved marble chess set” it should get you pointed in the right direction

Reactions: roostercogburn98