• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Craigslist Scams

EddieNFL

SMSgt
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Florida
Moving across state in a few weeks and trying to trim moving cost. Put a couple items on Cragislist. The first one drew an immediate "I'll take it" reply asking a couple of questions. I responded and got the following reply:

Thank you so much for your response, I've been working really long weeks at work so I won't be able to meet with you before purchase, but am ok with the price and condition as shown on the advert, I'll proceed in issuing a check to you and when you receive the payment and it clears, I will make arrangement for pickup. So get back to me with below details asap.

Name to be on the payment ...........
Address to mail the check to ........
City, state and Zip code ............
Last Asking price...................
Phone number to text you on .........

As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you through FEDEX next day delivery and I will let you know then tracking number of the package. I will also add an additional $50 for keeping other buyers off till my check gets to you, also please delete the posting or mark as sold. Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hearing from you

My scamdar went off and I responded cash only. Nothing since. Posted the second item today and got an immediate reply identical to the first.

Question: Did not ask for any banking info, so how does the scam work?

Reactions: Yasherka
Most likely sends a check for way more than the item is worth, you deposit it, you write him a check for the overage, his check bounces a few days later

Reactions: Adam B
Did he respond from Nigeria?

Did you try Facebook classifies or some of these others?
  1. eBay Classifieds. ...
  2. Mercari. ...
  3. Poshmark. ...
  4. OfferUp. ...
  5. Letgo. ...
  6. Trovit. ...
  7. Locanto.

They tell you that once the check shows up on your account as a credit, it is cleared and you should ship. After you ship, they cancel the check.

In reality, checks take a week to clear. The bank is actually loaning you the money when it posts it in your account in a day or two. Once its cancelled, the bank withdraws the amount (after you have shipped)

Reactions: diverdon
I guess the thievery gene skipped a generation. That would have never occurred to me.
And yet, the concept of "hunting down the scammers and making examples of them, for others to learn from via "Headlines" let alone "multiple incidents" HAS occurred to so many 'Right Thinking Folk'....."

I'm just sayin',,,,

Reactions: diverdon