• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Cratos versus SkeetIRX

mako15

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Cratos versus SkeetIRX.

Best one?

Nod to SkeetIRX for helmet mount capability. Is that enough to make it the best?

Help me spend my money.

What do you want it for?

Not gonna try to sway your decision bro: but cratos is a very exclusive club , you can always hop on the skeetirx train later. Cratos, not so much.
Regards
Felipe
I think this is right. Skeets will be available, and all things equal, the nox will do everything you want at a lower price. Cratos is impossible to get, and while I have not used one, it appears to be an insanely good unit.

Choid - mulitple purpose: SHTF; hunting; and just fucking around.

Tough call because I do like the option to helmet mount. Still thinking :geek:

I think this is right. Skeets will be available, and all things equal, the nox will do everything you want at a lower price. Cratos is impossible to get, and while I have not used one, it appears to be an insanely good unit.
The Nox isn’t clip-on capable.

Reactions: TheHorta
My take / comparison:

If having something fewer than 50 private owners in the world have (currently, we’ll see what happens in time) is important to you and you like being a member of “Club Unobtanium”, then the CRATOS might be the scratch for what itches you.

If you’re more about performance, versatility, factory warranty / support / coverage, then the SkeetIR wins, hands down.

If you’re going to use this exclusively/primarily as a clip-on, CRATOS is a hair better for that purpose.

If you’re going to use it as a handheld or have any hopes of putting it on a helmet, SkeetIR is the only way to go. The Nox will be nice, for sure, but it ain’t no Skeet. Then, of course, there’s TracIR support, magnifier support, external battery/video support, amongst others that is not available with the CRATOS.

For the same price, I’d choose the Skeet 10/10 times. If you don’t have to choose, get both!

Please elaborate.

A1CC4E7E-841F-42CC-B90D-850B0B46FBB8.jpeg

Would there be a way to modify a pas23 magnifier to work with the skeet if it were sent to TPL?

Would there be a way to modify a pas23 magnifier to work with the skeet if it were sent to TPL?

No. I tried. The aperture on the Insight magnifier isn’t large enough. Give me some time. I’ll show you.

Reactions: liaisons
So it's a FLIR magnifier they modified with threaded inserts? @TheHorta

OP - I'd flip a coin on either unit. I think the Cratos' only downside is no wilcox shoe, but, it's a better clip-on with its YUUUGE field of view.

The Skeet actually has a slightly LARGER/WIDER FOV than the CRATOS.

Skeet weighs 70% less. Skeet is half the size. Skeet can go 66-feet underwater (I’ve actually SCUBA dived with one, down to about 30-feet).

I may sound down on the CRATOS, but I’m not — at all. The CRATOS is fantastic, it’s just not as good as a SkeetIR-X, as a whole.

There are only three reasons to pick the CRATOS over the Skeet:

1) You can’t afford to own both.
2) It will live exclusively on a rifle as a clip-on and you don’t need to shoot stuff beyond 200 yards.
3) You want access to Club Unobtanium.

Both Skeet and CRATOS are short-range 1x units. Detection is great on both units, being (practically) 500+ yards on both. But for clip-on purposes, both are comfortably ~200 yards and in. Brave shooters might be able to hit larger game/targets at 300.

Last edited:
The Skeet actually has a slightly LARGER/WIDER FOV than the CRATOS.

Skeet weighs 70% less. Skeet is half the size. Skeet can go 66-feet underwater (I’ve actually SCUBA dived with one, down to about 30-feet).

I may sound down on the CRATOS, but I’m not — at all. The CRATOS is fantastic, it’s just not as good as a SkeetIR-X, as a whole.

There are only three reasons to pick the CRATOS over the Skeet:

1) You can’t afford to own both.
2) It will live exclusively on a rifle as a clip-on and you don’t need to shoot stuff beyond 200 yards.
3) You want access to Club Unobtanium.

Both Skeet and CRATOS are short-range 1x units. Detection is great on both units, being (practically) 500+ yards on both. But for clip-on purposes, both are comfortably ~200 yards and in. Brave shooters might be able to hit larger game/targets at 300.

I mean .. you missed the color pallets. Aint that why you bought it?

1600986067602.png

• Love
ok... I'll ask... Why?
don't tell me you figured it how to see underwater with the thing

I did it on a dare, and to see if it was usable underwater. It was impossible to use underwater, not sure if because of the mask or thermal just can’t be used because of “humidity”, but it was a bust as far as that was concerned.

The good news was, it got me a bottle of Highland Park 35.🥰

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I did it on a dare, and to see if it was usable underwater. It was impossible to use underwater, not sure if because of the mask or thermal just can’t be used because of “humidity”, but it was a bust as far as that was concerned.

The good news was, it got me a bottle of Highland Park 35.🥰

Worth the gamble, especially with the Skeet being insured ;)

• Love