• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Crawley damascus 1911

dksd39

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2006
Hollywood, FL/ Kentucky
My wait is over...on 7/22/09 I ordered a damascus 1911 from Crawley customs and was quoted a 1 year wait. I would have to say he is very accurate on his wait times which is a refreshing change from many of the customs I have ordered in the past. While this is not my first damascus 1911 it is by far the nicest. Here are a few pics--hope you enjoy them

1911-2.jpg

1911-1.jpg

while I do not usually post pics of serial numbers....this one is kinda special
1911-3.jpg

Re: Crawley damascus 1911

NICE!!!!

I really like the slide. That looks badass. You should have gone gold barrel and small parts thought, to be truly pimp that is.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark449</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that slide forged? </div></div>

short answer--yes

longer-- It is my understanding that the steel billets are forged and shipped to Caspian from Damasteel of sweeden and then Caspian does the machine finishing process on them from the Damascus bar stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gun looks great, but why dont they make the frame out of damascus steel too? </div></div>

A couple reasons. Damascus on damascus would gall pretty bad. Not as bad as damascus on titanium, but it wouldn't be pretty! When it's etched, there is a tiny step-off between the different layers of steel. With a carbon steel frame it's not too bad, but you still can't make the fit as tight as an all steel 1911. Damascus on damascus or titanium requires even greater tolerances.

Also, a block of Damasteel big enough to machine a slide from would probably be cost prohibitive!

Damasteel is awesome! It's a powered metal product from Sweden.

Makes great slides:
BigBore1.jpg

And amazing blades too:
MOP001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gun looks great, but why dont they make the frame out of damascus steel too? </div></div>

A couple reasons. Damascus on damascus would gall pretty bad. Not as bad as damascus on titanium, but it wouldn't be pretty! When it's etched, there is a tiny step-off between the different layers of steel. With a carbon steel frame it's not too bad, but you still can't make the fit as tight as an all steel 1911. Damascus on damascus or titanium requires even greater tolerances.

</div></div>

Good to know, planning on getting a damascus 1911 after finishing college. Thought about a titanium frame, but if you say it is a bad idea, I probably will go for a carbon steel frame. A good contrast to the slide, too, saw a picture of a Caspian 1911 and fell in love. Looks awesome, especially with front slide checkering.

Congratulations on this handsome handgun, dksd39!

I might pick your brain later via PM, if you don't mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SurgeonPredator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Congratulations on this handsome handgun, dksd39!
I might pick your brain later via PM, if you don't mind. </div></div>

any time would be glad to help

Ken does do fabulous work, I have several guns he built for me a couple I posted on the show me your 1911 build thread here. They will shoot with any of the big name guys for sure. I have wanted to have him do a damascus one for me someday.