• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crazy fire solutions from a 5700

wchartz

Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
McKenzie, TN
I have 9 profiles loaded into my Kestrel 5700 Elite LINK, firmware 1.22. All of them have been in the unit for several months. A couple of weeks ago I got a message on my Android device asking if I wanted to upgrade Firmware. I accepted the upgrade but could not tell that anything actually happened. I originally had Firmware 1.22 and I still have 1.22. I do not know if this action had anything to do with the problem I have. Today I took out my .260 for some practice and immediately noticed that the solution was about 1 mil low at 600 yds. I thought possibly that somehow I had input some bad data. I got one of my 6.5x47 rifles and proceeded to shoot targets. My solutions were good. I checked my data for the .260 and could not see any mistakes. I deleted the profile from the Kestrel and reloaded it from my Android. The solutions were still bad at all distances. I then checked the other 7 profiles on the Kestrel and found two more that were so far off that it is crazy. One 22-250 profile shows that I need to dial approximately double the real MOA required. Another 22-250 shows that my firing solution for 1000 yards is - .7 MOA. My zero range is 200 yards for both 22-250 profiles. The solutions for all other distances are proportionally out of whack for those three profiles. I checked the inputs for these two profiles and could not see a mistake. I deleted the profiles from the Kestrel, reloaded them and got the same bad solutions.

I just got a message on my Android asking me if I want to upgrade Firmware. It does not tell me what version it is trying to upgrade to.
My LINK version on my Android is build 152 and the ballistics data base is version 78700.

Can someone tell me what to try next?

Sounds like the firmware upgrade failed. Accept the upgrade to 1.23 and see if that clears the issues. Also, the current Link app is build 153 so see if that updates the next time you start up. Might also check that both the app (settings) and Kestrel (System, Units, Global) are still set to yards.

The unit is set to yards. The Link App does not try to update to 153. How do I do that? I do not know how to accept the upgrade to 1.23. Do I go to the Kestrel website to get it? Every time I have had a Kestrel update on the 4500 and now this one, some of my data has been scrambled.
For this reason I would like to save my data on my PC but I do not know how to do that. I have an optical cable that I got with my 5700.

Use the optical cable with the Applied Ballistic Profile loader to copy profiles to your computer see here:

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com...s Profile Loader Instructions - Build 050.pdf

Then delete the App on your phone and download it fresh and the current version will load. Connect to the Kestrel and it will ask if you want to update the firmware and accept. You should then have the latest versions and you can connect to the computer again to download the profiles to the Kestrel and then from the Kestrel to the app. From there, you should be able to do everything with the app and Kestrel and use the USB only if you choose.

I have my profiles loaded in the Profile Loader build 60. I deleted all of the profiles from my Kestrel as some of them are corrupted. I opened the Profile loader, selected 5700 series, selected the profiles that I wanted to copy to the Kestrel. The Kestrel is connected to the PC via USB Data Transfer Cable. The green light in the upper right corner is lit and the info bar at the the bottom of the window says that the Kestrel is connected. When I click "Send Profiles to Kestrel", the button lights up blue but nothing is transferred. What now?

I have my profiles loaded in the Profile Loader build 60. I deleted all of the profiles from my Kestrel as some of them are corrupted. I opened the Profile loader, selected 5700 series, selected the profiles that I wanted to copy to the Kestrel. The Kestrel is connected to the PC via USB Data Transfer Cable. The green light in the upper right corner is lit and the info bar at the the bottom of the window says that the Kestrel is connected. When I click "Send Profiles to Kestrel", the button lights up blue but nothing is transferred. What now?

You should be using Profile Loader version 68 and FW 1.23+.

You want to plug the cable in, and connect the Kestrel in data cable mode before opening the profile loader to do the transfers.

The data transferred from the PC to the Kestrel. How can I tell which FW version I have? Thank you.

After deleting the app on my device and reinstalling it from the app store, then repairing it to my Kestrel I see that I still have version 1.22. How do I change that or do I need to?

Sounds like some communications issues. Make sure you have a good wifi connection, maybe try airplane mode and try a couple of pairings. The app is not reading the Kestrel properly, but it should with a solid connection.

I have to ask this question. If the Kestrel and smart device with the app communicate via Bluetooth, What does a good WiFi connection have to do with it?

I have a good WiFi connection and I have followed all of the above directions. My Kestrel and Android will not recognize each other either with Link or Link Ballistics. The Android just keeps scanning for available devices. I have enabled airplane mode and verified each device has Blue tooth on. I have powered off each device and restarted them. I cannot find any way to get them to communicated with each other. I have had this problem in the past with these same devices but they eventually paired. I have spent hours dealing with the problems on the Link system. I need some help or I am going to have to abandon this system.

Wchartz, please call 800 784-4221 and ask for Andrew or Joe, this will be easier via phone.
I received a new 5700 from Andrew after we talked about the symptoms. The new unit has the same problem as the old unit. It appears now that the phone is the problem. Andrew and I talked again and he suggested that I try a tablet that has Android with the 7.0 version or higher. I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A with 7.1.1 operating system. It has the same problem. It will list the Kestrel in available devices but will not show connection or transfer data. Both of the Kestrel 5700's I have tried have connected properly with two different iphones. I give up. This electronic crap is not to be relied on. I am tired of spending hundreds of dollars on this type of equipment and getting these results after scores of hours of trying to solve problems.

This rant is in no way a reflection on Andrew or Joe. They have tried hard to solve this problem but the technology between Kestrel and Android is just not reliable. If it were not for the profile loader on my PC and the optical cable I would be in trouble.

Last edited: