• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crazy idea for using different powders

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
Disclaimer: Reloading is taking my life and the life in my rifle into my own hands, and unless its published or certified tested its going to be a questionable loading. But in desperate times sometimes we must be inventive.

I have a shit ton of red dot and titegroup for pistol and shotgun, but I'm completely out of anything for 223. I know I'd need to work up loads accordingly, but has anyone ever used red dot or titegroup for rifle rounds? I'm just making plinking ammo, so I just need something that will cycle the action and not blow my gun up. My reasoning for this is that I'm completely out of powder and my local suppliers are out and don't know when they'll be getting stuff in. I've also considered cutting any rifle powder with the pistol poweder(another big reloading no-no, but I know I'll have to work the loads up if I did this)

The only downside(if I do this the safe way) is I'll probably have a fairly dirty gun because of the powder choices, but this is just plinking ammo and not hunting/match ammo so I don't really care about a little dirt.

Any thoughts or receipes from people who may have done this?

Re: Crazy idea for using different powders

This one is waaaayyy beyond my field of experince.

Actually, I do have some experience, but not with any semiautos.

For bolt guns I used 7gr of Unique with a 52gr SMK in the .223. Reached 100yd with OK accuracy in dead calm conditions, but went straight to hell when even a small breeze kicked up. I'm thinking something similar with the Red Dot or Titegroup might be workable.

My disclaimer: I didn't say this, I wasn't there, where is there, anyway? Seemingly 'safe' ideas are what cause the most trouble, beginning with, "Here, hold my beer...". In essence, you said it yourself, this is a crazy idea.

But really, playing with microload .22's is counterproductive, especially in terms of wasting otherwise precious primers.

You can do a lot better just shooting .22LR.

Greg

Possibly another option is to look at reduced recoil (short range) loads using pillow stuffing to take up some of the case capacity.
Call Sierra's Tech support and ask about Reduced Recoil Loading, they may be able to help. I'm thinking that something that will cycle the action maybe alot to ask but you never know.
Reduced recoil loads are occasionally discussed when teaching new or young shooters to shoot a larger cartrige. I've read alittle about it but never gave it a try.

Greg gives sage advice (again)...stick to a .22 rimfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Greg gives sage advice (again)...stick to a .22 rimfire </div></div>

That would involve me buying a 22lr. upper

And then there is this from Creedmore Sports.

AR style air rifle

Full500.jpg

I use Unique for lead in a number of things, go get some gas checks and shoot lead too.

I have not used Red Dot in the 223, but I use it in a Wildcat 44 my dad and I developed. For whatever reason it burns incredibly cleanly... go figure.

Go get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd edition and you should be able to find what you're looking for there.

Also, if you can get Blue Dot there's some data on this place about a guy who worked up AR loads with Blue Dot. I haven't tried them yet, I'm going to try loading some this weekend for it to see how it works out.

Remember to start slow and work up, get the cast bullet handbook and start reading.

My general purpose plinking rounds for 30-30, 7.62x54R, 8x57, 30-06 are just cast lead bullets with Unique behind them. Sure it's not .1 MOA accuracy from 100y but they shoot pretty darn tight and they hit the paper and soda cans with authority.

You dont have to buy a 22 upper, just buy a conversion kit. Much cheaper, and since its just blasting ammo that you were wanting to make I am sure that you arent running it thru your precision rifle. CMMG, Spikes both make a decent conversion kit that will accept the Black Dog Machine mags. You can pick up a conversion and a mag for about 200 bucks or so.

I used pistol powder for shooting bore polishing grit impregnated bullets. Try searching for bore polishing loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Greg gives sage advice (again)...stick to a .22 rimfire </div></div>

That would involve me buying a 22lr. upper</div></div>

Chances are "Beta" testing in uncharted territory will have you buying a new upper anyway, maybe a lower, perhaps even a glass eye or plastic surgery.

I ment more along the lines of a 10/22 Ruger or a Savage, or Marlin, or whatever. Marksmenship skills can be honed with any of them.
A conversion kit isn't a bad idea either, only they are a bit sparse right now.

Alternatives are out there, many will out perform field expediant half-ass reloading techniques...SAFELY.

Not only would you be wasting primers but bullets too. And for what? To hear a bang? Buy a .22.
PS You might be wasting body parts if you get to the point where you can cycle the action. An obstructed bore is a strong possibility.

Hodgdon load database lists 3.1grs of Titegroup for .223 @ 1064fps.

Won't cycle an AR and I have NEVER tested this.

http://data.hodgdon.com
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
55 GR. HDY FMJ Hodgdon Titegroup .224" 2.200" 3.1 1064 4,000 CUP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hodgdon load database lists 3.1grs of Titegroup for .223 @ 1064fps.

Won't cycle an AR and I have NEVER tested this.

http://data.hodgdon.com
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
55 GR. HDY FMJ Hodgdon Titegroup .224" 2.200" 3.1 1064 4,000 CUP </div></div>

THAT's the ticket, folks.

Let someone else do the load testing.

I was thinking "no way" for the TiteGroup, but hey, I've been wrong before.

I can report firsthand that for 147-gr bullets in the .308, WW-231 will peak out on pressure about the time it starts to open the bolt on an M1A. This is a rifle that will cycle fine with WW-748 loads all the way down to 1600 fps. Can't remember now if I ever found the load that wouldn't cycle. Try THAT with an FAL type. It choked at 1850 fps or so.

Ruger 10/22 basic birch stock/standard barrel, about $200 new.

Butler Creek blued .920 20" target barrel, Bentz chambered, about $110.

Butler Creek black plastic stock with .920" target barrel channel, about $64.

Tasco 6-24x42 MilDot scope and economy rings, about $100.

Cheap at twice the price.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joeyhotfizzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Natchezss has H4895 last time I checked. </div></div>

Yep still have 1 pounders, and 1 pounders of Benchmark as well. keep the other powder for handgun, or use it as fertilizer for the lawn.

PVI has 8lb'ers of Ramshot TAC for 118.00. Got some on the way myself.

Why tempt fate?