• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Crazy small vertical with my 6mmBR!

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
Hey guys I just had to share this crazy small vertical I shot this morning at ""1000Y"" with my 6mmBR - as witnessed by two of my shooting buddy's, Steve and Mark.

I know it's almost unbelievable but that is a mag full consisting of 10 shots. The big group has 4 or 5 shots in it, I'll get back to that soon.

The high one is about 4" above and the rest are into 1.3" vertical, for 9 shots!!!

So if you look closely there are two holes from my 30 caliber that got poked through this AR400 steel at 200Y many years ago. Those holes just happen to be close to where the larger group of hits from my 6mmBR are. The reason I said 4 or 5 hits is because I didn't hear one of the shots hit the steel. If you look closely at the 10 oclock position on the higher and right-er poked hole there is a graze on the edge of it, at least I think it is, and I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt, ?

This was shot at around 50 degrees in a half value wind of 1-4 mph with a DA of 6000.

Shot from the bed of my truck off the LRI bipod and Traid tactical rear bag. Mausingfield action, Shilen select match prefit, Bighorn barrel nut, TT diamond trigger set at 10oz, GRS Bolthorn chassis. S&B PM2 5-25x56 in ARC rings.

Load is 30.4 grains Varget in Lapua brass, lit with CCI450, and 105hybrid about .030 off.
DSC00170.JPG

DSC00168.JPG

Last edited:
You’re shooting my exact load. Just finished break-in and load development. Will be sending my first out to 1000 today. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. INSANE.

Reactions: steve123
You’re shooting my exact load. Just finished break-in and load development. Will be sending my first out to 1000 today. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. INSANE.

Yeah it's a warm load and brass and barrel life might suffer a bit but obviously the rifle likes this load.
I started with a ladder test at 400Y, then played with seating depth, and this is what came of it.
Shortly after this on another day, at 789Y, I was pounding the heck out of the head of my 2/3's IPSC most of the time, only missed when the wind changed.

Well I hope you have great success with your load too!!!

Nice shooting. Here are some tiny groups I made at 1K a couple weeks ago with my 25x47. The 2” group made my day. First two shots touching I knew it was going to be good.
View attachment 7370281
View attachment 7370283
View attachment 7370284

That thing really shoots!!

I've got around 600 6x47L brass left, it was my go to for many years.
25x47L is high up on my list to try out for sure!

Mind sharing your load, etc, along with twist and barrel length too please?

I shot this steel at 1025Y shortly after I finished load work for my 6mmBR, "BUT" this was fireforming the rest of my brass with a light load using the 105 hybrids, IIRC 29.4gr Varget, and the same rifle that I shot in the OP.

Because of the mirage, and that I had a 20x max scope, I couldn't see exactly where I was hitting, I could only hear the impacts and see the steel wiggle, but my friend Randy saw most of them with his Swaro 5-25, he also made claim to the 3 high hits with his 260R. There's something like 12 hits on the lower half. That's not bad vertical either and it was fairly windy 7-11 mph coming from 1-2 oclock. I think I fired 2 mags at this distance??

DSC00094 (2).JPG

Great shooting, do you happen to remember the weather conditions ?

Shooting like that is extremely gratifying.

Thanks

I wrote most of the conditions in the first post and #16 post. The DA was around 7000 both times and in similar temps. In #16 it was early spring IIRC 2019.

6br is a great caliber, some fine shooting your targets reflect you all are pretty much dialed in (y)

The 6br is the cartridge of choice for almost all 300 meter shooters and for good reason. 30 grains of Varget and a 105-107gr bullet get the job done! Nice elevation......
EJ