• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creating a fictional rifle for a Novel.

Yoshi_2k23

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get some help that will give me a strong basis for a fictional rifle in a novel I'm writing. The novel is focused on the role of a military sniper. But I am struggling on what to give my character in terms of equipment (weapons) as there is such a huge variety of platforms out there that all seem very appealing.

Because of the high volume of custom rifles out there I decided I would do the same for my character's rifle. But I'm a little torn between calibres and so I wanted to ask for input on this seeing as I haven't fired a weapon myself. Although I do intend to own a rifle, but that's further down the line.

The requirement I'm looking for in the rifle is to be capable of shooting accurately between 600 - 1200 meters, but also capable of longer ranges and having a high level of power once it hits it's target. I have seen famous rifles such as the Tac-338, and although it's a great rifle, I know everyone would likely scream Chris Kyle rip-off. So there's that.

I am particular to the Accuracy International ATAICS Chassis.
335050743_587705223013563_8737709269421490981_n.jpg

I really like the look of this rifle, but I'm pretty sure it's only capable of firing a .308 round. If I could chamber it in .338 I would but I know a gun enthusiast would cry foul, and rightfully so I think. So my search begins with two questions..

1. What calibre and bullet would meet this requirement?

2. If I did want to create a custom rifle, is it possible to create a rifle based on the ATAICS chassis?

If you want a similar look, the old AWSM was chambered from the factory in 338 Lapua.

What is correct will depend more on the character's background, availability of rifles to his character's position, and time period.

Nowadays you are more likely to see an AI AXSR, AXMC, MRAD, or Sako TRG (if European theater)

If you do not have a very strong firearms background, the "custom" details of the rifle you spec out will seem galling to actual LR shooters.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Namekagon
AICS chassis can be made to work on just about any cartridge out there but I agree with @Zak Smith what is more important is that the rifle actually fits for what would be available to them. Sniper is still issued a rifle and can outfit as they see fit but it's not a fully custom deal

Your new here. My guess is that you don't shoot, much if at all.

You are also from the UK. The best way to research something isn't necessarily on the internet but given the lack of firearms in your country that may be all that you can do.

My suggestion is to visit some long distance shooting ranges. You will get a lot of good information here but there is nothing like first hand experience. I say that without diminishing the information provide so far.

Seek out some long range precision riflemen. Talk with them. Interview them. If they will let you shoot some of their rifles, you will get a feel for what it's like. If your character is a police sharpshooter, sniper or serious hunter; find someone like that and buy them dinner. Get to know them.

Someone who has never been in a fist fight can still write about a fist fight but not like someone who's experienced it first hand and had their nose bloodied.

It's possible to write about starvation without experiencing days of being famished. Yet dealing with a harsh reality of not knowing where the next meal is coming from will put more feeling in the words on paper.

I don't watch many movies involving my chosen profession because 99% of them are not realistic. My hobby is shooting. I'm very serious about it and addicted to the sport. It's the most fun someone can have with their pants on.

Yet, I don't read novels that involve hunting or shooting. All the material that I read is either of a technical nature or non-fiction, historical material. Most of the novels are a waste of time.

Apologies to John Wick fans but I'm not interested in his movies.

Go to the source for an idea of what weaponry to create for your novel. Best of luck to you.

Wait, do you want a fictional rifle or a real rifle for fiction writing?
Well if I can use a rifle already on the market then that's better of course, but if I had to create a fictional built rifle I would want it as close to realistic as possible.

If you want a similar look, the old AWSM was chambered from the factory in 338 Lapua.

What is correct will depend more on the character's background, availability of rifles to his character's position, and time period.

Nowadays you are more likely to see an AI AXSR, AXMC, MRAD, or Sako TRG (if European theater)
The character is a Navy Seal sniper, the books will be based in the current period.

1680713945215.jpeg

What about this?
This is one of my top picks at the moment, but I really like the visual style of the AT308. I think it's the fact that it just looks more robust, there isn't as many parts to it. I know it's stupid but I prefer a rifle that has as little modularity in terms of the chassis as possible.

The long action .338 in this image, isn't that a AT style chassis?

The long action .338 in this image, isn't that a AT style chassis?
Yes, it is. Its just not got an ai action to go with it.
You have to put your own rem700 pattern action into the aics.
(accuracy international chassis system which is a stock for other manufacturers rifles, ai offers their at308 and ax308 and axmc rifles into the same stocks but those are a complete rifle system thats not really compatible with anything else where as the aics is meant for everything else)

Last edited:
Your new here. My guess is that you don't shoot, much if at all.

You are also from the UK. The best way to research something isn't necessarily on the internet but given the lack of firearms in your country that may be all that you can do.

My suggestion is to visit some long distance shooting ranges. You will get a lot of good information here but there is nothing like first hand experience. I say that without diminishing the information provide so far.

Seek out some long range precision riflemen. Talk with them. Interview them. If they will let you shoot some of their rifles, you will get a feel for what it's like. If your character is a police sharpshooter, sniper or serious hunter; find someone like that and buy them dinner. Get to know them.

Someone who has never been in a fist fight can still write about a fist fight but not like someone who's experienced it first hand and had their nose bloodied.

It's possible to write about starvation without experiencing days of being famished. Yet dealing with a harsh reality of not knowing where the next meal is coming from will put more feeling in the words on paper.

I don't watch many movies involving my chosen profession because 99% of them are not realistic. My hobby is shooting. I'm very serious about it and addicted to the sport. It's the most fun someone can have with their pants on.

Yet, I don't read novels that involve hunting or shooting. All the material that I read is either of a technical nature or non-fiction, historical material. Most of the novels are a waste of time.

Apologies to John Wick fans but I'm not interested in his movies.

Go to the source for an idea of what weaponry to create for your novel. Best of luck to you.

No experience myself at all, although I do intend to get some.

The problem with the UK is that gun control is so intense you have to have a proven track record of attending a gun club, you have to apply for a license and do background checks and such that getting near a rifle is difficult.

I am looking into getting experience firing a weapon myself and do have a few friends in the military who might help with that.

Reactions: Longshot231
Yes, it is. Its just not got an ai action to go with it. You have to put your own rem700 pattern action into it.

Okay, so if I want to build a rifle based on this chassis I could very much do so?

If that's the case then what calibre would you suggest for a military sniper shooting between 600 - 1200 meters? I've been reading a lot and there's a lot of mention to the military using .308, and .338. But what about .300 Norma Mag, what would be the better choice?

so I wanted to ask for input on this seeing as I haven't fired a weapon myself.

So let me get this straight... You have never fired a weapon, obviously don't have any sort of a military sniper background, yet you are writing a book about the role of a military sniper.

LOL. What in the actual fuck.

Okay, so if I want to build a rifle based on this chassis I could very much do so?

If that's the case then what calibre would you suggest for a military sniper shooting between 600 - 1200 meters? I've been reading a lot and there's a lot of mention to the military using .308, and .338. But what about .300 Norma Mag, what would be the better choice?
Yes, you can very much take a rem700 action or any of the dozens of aftermarket custom variations and put it into an AICS stock.

As to what the military does, not a clue. I dont much concern myself with what the lowest bid does :ROFLMAO:

The problem with the UK is that gun control is so intense you have to have a proven track record of attending a gun club, you have to apply for a license and do background checks and such that getting near a rifle is difficult.
FYI - this is how you do research...get a background check, take some instruction(s), and learn something.

Rifles are hardware and not inherently interesting.

So let me get this straight... You have never fired a weapon, obviously don't have any sort of a military sniper background, yet you are writing a book about the role of a military sniper.

LOL. What in the actual fuck.
Not the role in all of it's aspects, I will be doing my own level of research once I find people in my country to show me first hand. But I don't really need that background to write, Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, yet we don't live in the medieval period with elves, orcs, dragons and dark lords.

The character is a Navy Seal sniper, the books will be based in the current period.

If you want the most authenticity your best bet is to try to contact the US Navy's Naval Special Warfare Command and see what kind of technical assistance they would be willing to provide a writer such as you.

All major US Navy commands have a commissioned officer in charge of public relations/information. Asking for whoever is in that role at NSWC would be a good start for a point of contact.

If you want the most authenticity your best bet is to try to contact the US Navy's Naval Special Warfare Command and see what kind of technical assistance they would be willing to provide a writer such as you.

All major US Navy commands have a commissioned officer in charge of public relations/information. Asking for whoever is in that role at NSWC would be a good start for a point of contact.

Thank you, that seems like a good idea. I'll look into that.

Not the role in all of it's aspects, I will be doing my own level of research once I find people in my country to show me first hand. But I don't really need that background to write, Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings, yet we don't live in the medieval period with elves, orcs, dragons and dark lords.

If it’s fictional why are you worried about a correct rifle or anything like that? If you’re going to pull shit out of your ass for a stupid made up book then it shouldn’t matter.

What is your native language and schooling?
My native language is English, I just mean that I don't know if the British army would allow a civilian to see first hand or at least experience the role to build an understanding of it, to them it might be a concern.

You need to research some of the more successful authors - like Stephen Hunter and Jack Carr. One reason their books are so successful is the realism and detail. Their protagonists use real gear appropriate to their role which is described accurately and in detail. They don't make up fictional weapons.
Sort of like the Tom Clancy books (the ones he actually wrote himself). The details of the submarine or carrier made you feel as if you were there.

41l+KNY0v0L._AC_.jpg

all the fiction a human can handle at least till he blows up the planet ....
a00110f62e61ec9867a1633132b004ef.jpg

Reactions: Taylorbok
You can make the trip across the pond (please buy a round trip ticket) to attend any number of training events. There are many that will have weapons you can rent to attend. There are also many commercial ranges with weapons you can fire after paying a fee. You can liven up a trip to Las Vegas that way.