• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creating my own range, hanging steel.

Photobug

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2021
Jackson, WY
My local range has a number of options but nothing to challenge or emulate what I would be shooting at an NRL match. I have not actually shot one but did RO one and helped hang some steel way out to 300+ yards. I did not get to see the smaller targets in closer than 100 yards. Right now my range has some big pieces of steel out to 100 yards but nothing small enough to create any challenge with a scope. I have just bought a few 1, 2 and 3" steel plates. I would like to hang these out at my range at varying distances at my range.

I have a KYL like target out at 20 feet. and have some big steel at 25 and maybe out to 100 yards at 25 yard intervals. I just came up with the idea now to hang some stickers on the existing steel to create smaller targets. I could likely get permission to hang posts along the edge of my range for other targets. What is the easiest way to hang some smaller steel? Some of my new steel has one hole some two.

What are typical target sizes at varying distances?

Simple guide
2C08C9D2-FB9A-45BC-9AD2-05AB72272D83.jpeg

Shepherds hook is pretty easy and cheap (home depot or the like). Use a dead-blow hammer if the ground is dry to pound it in. Also suggest to angle the targets downward for splatter control

Reactions: Photobug
Just buy an actual NRL22 target kit.

There's like 4 or more places that sell them at varying prices and levels of complexity. They come stands for everything. You might even wish to order a few extra stands and small plates for bonus stages.

Then you can then actually practice the monthly stages. And take your shit home so the inevitable local range retard doesn't shoots holes in your plates. Actually practicing the actual stages prior helps immensely.

I had my local steel shop just make me a target kit. But its it's just as easy to order it.

Atlas Target Works, DST Precision, Target Hanging Solutions....all make them.

Then track down some of the standardized barricades (especially the super cheap ones like shitty old tire or cinder block or 5 & 2 gallon buckets). I find the step ladder to be bane of my existence.

Last edited:
As a 22LR match director, my "rule of thumb" is:

If shooter is on his knees or lower - 1-1.75moa targets (i.e., roof tops, prone, small wire spools, etc.)

If shooter is higher than his knees - 2-4moa (i.e., PRS barricades, tank traps, top of T-posts, etc.)

Of course there are exceptions to my "rule of thumb." For example, 1 stage may be a 12" square, shot prone at 430y. Or if the stage has a lot of physical movement, I'll bump the target size up a bit.

Reactions: Topstrap
Great info here, I was looking to purchase some targets myself!

Shepherds hook is pretty easy and cheap (home depot or the like). Use a dead-blow hammer if the ground is dry to pound it in. Also suggest to angle the targets downward for splatter control

Cool I even have some of those Sheppards hooks sitting around I picked up at a garage sale years ago. Home Depot is 2 hours away so I will see where I can get some more. When hanging big steel at the NRL i helped set up it was easy to see how to angle and keep the steel facing the shooting line. With the tiny ones how do you angle it and keep it facing a particular direction? My 2" targets have 2 holes and the 1 and 3 inches are single holes.

Mine have a single hole, but the same concept should work for duals. Used grade 8 hardware from Tractor Supply (cheap yellow coated stuff, nothing high quality). Probably 3" or 4" bolt to offset the chain causing the downward angle, place the chain on the hook, adjust left-right angle as needed and pound hook into the ground. Takes less than 1 minute for the target to stop moving. Not the best pic but hopefully enough to give a better description

20190511_093314.jpg

Reactions: acudaowner
sThen track down some of the standardized barricades (especially the super cheap ones like shitty old tire or cinder block or 5 & 2 gallon buckets). I find the step ladder to be bane of my existence.
Will look into the target packs. I already have a number of small and large targets.

I don't think many shoot precision rifle at my range but there is a barricade that just appeared this summer. RIght now I am just trying to learn to shoot prone for now, then work my way up from there.

loved the look of these as well as the ease to change it up as needed it slides together pretty easily on site . good luck with what ever you decide to use send pics of what you come up with . Also shepard hooks seem to work real nice with single steel targets especially the off set ones .

Attachments

• 600 yard target stand Idea 1.jpg
    600 yard target stand Idea 1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 55
Just buy an actual NRL22 target kit.

Atlas Target Works, DST Precision, Target Hanging Solutions....all make them.

Is there another company besides DST precision, because they only do the DFAT no targets that I can tell.

I have a total of 9 targets now so only need to order a few more pieces of steel and some stands. RIght now Atlas seems to offer the better options for me, but want one more look at my options before I order a kit or pieces. A few KYL sized hangers would be nice.

Is there another company besides DST precision, because they only do the DFAT no targets that I can tell.

I have a total of 9 targets now so only need to order a few more pieces of steel and some stands. RIght now Atlas seems to offer the better options for me, but want one more look at my options before I order a kit or pieces. A few KYL sized hangers would be nice.

I have a couple KYL targets from Shootingtargets.com. They are awesome.

Attachments

• C2FA4F01-2B9C-476D-B9E9-70FB4FA296D5.jpeg
    C2FA4F01-2B9C-476D-B9E9-70FB4FA296D5.jpeg
    949.6 KB · Views: 38