• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft creatures encountered on a stalk

drewbie

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Okay I have been looking around the hide, but also I have read a few books that go into detail about different sniper missions and things like that. Well my question is do you guys (meaning former or current snipers or people that have done stalks before) ever encounter deadly creatures. I'm talking like black widows, brown recluses, venemous snakes, bears, exotic insects and creatures (if your in foreign countries), and thing of that nature while on a stalk. If or when you do, how did you or how would you deal with those kind of things? I'm curious because none of the books I have read have ever gone into detail about those kinds of things. Most just talk about the ants and thats about it.

Also just for fun could ya'll name off some of the things you have personally come across?

Once again thanks for taking time to help me out
Drewbie

Re: creatures encountered on a stalk

Ya, Snakes more than once, but never with any issue, although there was this one unruly Habu in Oki he was giving it an effort. I was put down twice by spiders, having adverse negative reactions, and I know other people who have been hit by them at one time or another, including a nice banana spider bite to the face... as well I have run into yellow jackets that decided my camouflage wasn't nearly good enough. Never had an issue with ants, but I was never in a heavy ant area.. spiders are far more common and can wreck your day.

it happens and it sucks, but you deal with it.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Most snipers are people who grew up around the outdoors and who have hunted their whole life so they know what creepy crawlers are out there and where they like to live.

You should also be very much aware of your surroundings and fresh evidence on the ground (tracks, feces) that you are not alone.

When scouting your hide, you should also be aware that ticks, spiders, centipedes and that lot like to live in rotted out trees and in piles of leaves, pine needles, etc. Scorpions prefer rocks and woodpiles. Snakes hide under rocks ledges, small caves and various size holes.

Bottom line is providing yourself with enough knowledge of your area of operation so that something other than the enemy doesn’t take you out.

Adding bug spray to your kit is helpful particularly the unscented kind. I also treat the uniforms that I use for ghillie suites with military issue Insect/Arthropod Repellent Treatment (Army navy Stores, ebay, etc.) that lasts a fairly long time.

Learn as much first aid as you can and refresh your knowledge often, especially when venturing into areas your not familiar with.

But sometimes when it’s “game on” you just have to do the best you can and make the crawl regardless while reciting the Sniper’s Prayer.

Here’s a good read about insects:

"Armed Forces Pest Management Board Technical Guide No. 36, Personal Protective Measures Against Insects and Other Arthropods of Military Significance"

LOL funny topic because when you are dragging your face on the ground sweating your nuts off trying to make it to your FFP you will find bugs you never seen in your life!!

I have seen some weird stick bugs and shit only though up in sci fi movies!!!

Reactions: BurtG and Two36

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, Snakes more than once, but never with any issue, although there was this one unruly Habu in Oki he was giving it an effort. I was put down twice by spiders, having adverse negative reactions, and I know other people who have been hit by them at one time or another, including a nice banana spider bite to the face... as well I have run into yellow jackets that decided my camouflage wasn't nearly good enough. Never had an issue with ants, but I was never in a heavy ant area.. spiders are far more common and can wreck your day.

it happens and it sucks, but you deal with it. </div></div>

Banana spider? you got bit by this?

Fig.%201.jpg

Damn, I was thinking about <span style="text-decoration: underline">trying</span> to become a sniper (note the emphasis on trying...), but I'm having second thoughts about that.

No, I avoided the Banana Spider Bite, someone else in 1/2 wasn't so lucky, took those fangs to the cheek in the middle of the night.

I don't really know what spiders hit me, but they were smaller, although both put me out of commission for a while, one bite to my lip affected my eyesight, but it was nothing like that in size.

Never heard of anyone being bit by a snake, although almost everyone messes with them when given a chance.

TP, all that sounds nice on paper, but when you move at night, routes intersect, etc... it's hard to avoid... I think my record tick count was 36 during the Patrolling phase of ARS, and I was pretty lucky... not to mention at the time, the Military's idea of prevention was worse than the affects of a bug bite... the issued bug juice melted paint and burned plastic, sometimes you just have to fuck it.

What are we talking about when you say "out of commission" there lowlight?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya, Snakes more than once, but never with any issue, although there was this one unruly Habu in Oki he was giving it an effort. I was put down twice by spiders, having adverse negative reactions, and I know other people who have been hit by them at one time or another, including a nice banana spider bite to the face... as well I have run into yellow jackets that decided my camouflage wasn't nearly good enough. Never had an issue with ants, but I was never in a heavy ant area.. spiders are far more common and can wreck your day.

it happens and it sucks, but you deal with it. </div></div>

Banana spider? you got bit by this?

Fig.%201.jpg

Damn, I was thinking about <span style="text-decoration: underline">trying</span> to become a sniper (note the emphasis on trying...), but I'm having second thoughts about that. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">FUCK THAT!</span> <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> </span>

I am scared to death of spiders, I would rather be hit with another bullet, as that bastard!

Spiders are p$ssies. These scare the shit out me.

o5dv2a.jpg

Rolly Pollies are some scare stuff, seriously, spiders are p$ssies. LOL

Oh yeah, lady bugs do not turn your back on them either...:p

Actually, that spider is a little scary...OK, Fuck that is scary. Mod: Please mark thread as visually graphic.

Lol I'm with you on that creedmoor, but really the only spiders I don't like are the poisonous ones and the big ones.

such as: black widows, brown recluses, banana spiders, bird spiders, tarantulas of all kinds, and pretty much any spider that I would have trouble killing with my hands. I can deal with snakes, scorpians, varmits, worms, and things like that, but a spider comes along and I would probably set off a grenade on that bitch.

Anyway does anyone have anyways of dealing with a spider if its like on your face or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol I'm with you on that creedmoor, but really the only spiders I don't like are the poisonous ones and the big ones.

such as: black widows, brown recluses, banana spiders, bird spiders, tarantulas of all kinds, and pretty much any spider that I would have trouble killing with my hands. I can deal with snakes, scorpians, varmits, worms, and things like that, but a spider comes along and I would probably set off a grenade on that bitch.

Anyway does anyone have anyways of dealing with a spider if its like on your face or something? </div></div>

Swipe it off your face and squish the bitch.

Make sure you remembered where you left it so you can crawl back by later and deep fry it on the way home for a snack.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway does anyone have anyways of dealing with a spider if its like on your face or something? </div></div>

Please, let me be the first to say, don't shoot it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol I'm with you on that creedmoor, but really the only spiders I don't like are the poisonous ones and the big ones.

Anyway does anyone have anyways of dealing with a spider if its like on your face or something? </div></div>

Make sure you remembered where you left it so you can crawl back by later and deep fry it on the way home for a snack.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

If you try and squish a big spider chances are that it will contract around your hand and drill you right before it dies... I have seen it happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol I'm with you on that creedmoor, but really the only spiders I don't like are the poisonous ones and the big ones.

laugh.gif
</div></div>

If you try and squish a big spider chances are that it will contract around your hand and drill you right before it dies... I have seen it happen. </div></div>

I got faced once by a handsized giant on a dark lonely Tejas morning.

By the time I turned the light on to figure out what had just combed my hair and brushed my face damn thing was halfway up the wall I swear it was looking right out me.

As I began to turn and run and scream like a little girl it jumped off the wall AGAIN and went straight for my face.

I hand slapped it away and it flew across the room.

1 paper towel + opposible thumbs = nasty green and yellow gooey mess.

Next time I'm using 2 paper towels.

If you flat hand anything on the ground with spiny parts or stingers you don't have enough experience with nasty wildlife.

The idea is to swat the fucker as far away as possible so that it squishes on whatever it lands on or doesn't try coming back for more.

True story. Ended up going fishing that day in Galveston. Nice day, bad morning.

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

By the time I turned the light on to figure out what had just combed my hair and brushed my face damn thing was halfway up the wall I swear it was looking right out me.

As I began to turn and run and scream like a little girl it jumped off the wall AGAIN and went straight for my face.

If you flat hand anything on the ground with spiny parts or stingers you don't have enough experience with nasty wildlife.

The idea is to swat the fucker as far away as possible so that it squishes on whatever it lands on or doesn't try coming back for more.

True story. Ended up going fishing that day in Galveston. Nice day, bad morning. </div></div>

Okay so what happens on a stalk when you have to conceal your postion and this thing is sitting on your face!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

True story. Ended up going fishing that day in Galveston. Nice day, bad morning. </div></div>

Okay so what happens on a stalk when you have to conceal your postion and this thing is sitting on your face! </div></div>

What happens when you're called in as pinch hitter with bases loaded on the 9th inning of a world series game and you've gotta shit your pants so bad you can't hold it anymore?

Magic, that's what happens.

Drop your drawers in the dug out and take a poo. If you strike out your teammates will be pissed and it you hit a walk off homerun they won't give a shit! That is what the clean up crew is for!

A friend in Houston got bit by a Brown Recluse spider and died after liver and both kidneys shut down. It wasn't a nice picture. It took almost a month to finally finish the job.

Personally I've run into several snakes. If I see them in time, I'll slowly back out. The only time I was ener bit was on a family holiday. It was night and I couldn't identify the snake. But my wife got me to the ER and they watched me puke and sh*t all night long. They let me go just before sun up the next morning. I had a big raw place on my shin where I was bit that stunk like crazy for 2 or 3 months.

Like stated above. Keep your eyes open and swivel your head all the time.

• Wow

Lowlight,

Just say'n that you should at least know the name of whatever it is that may kill you!

wink.gif

you should have seen what a black widow did to me in 1999 back at Ft Stewart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should have seen what a black widow did to me in 1999 back at Ft Stewart. </div></div>

Im curious...What happened?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are we talking about when you say "out of commission" there lowlight?</div></div>

Hospitalized for a day, on a battery of antibiotics, as well as treatment for the swelling... Nothing too crazy, they did that to me with an overdose of Yellow Fever during an inoculation shot... shit happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should have seen what a black widow did to me in 1999 back at Ft Stewart. </div></div>

Im curious...What happened? </div></div>

took my house, truck and half my retirement.

Kick ass... Can you explain exactly what the hell happened to you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kick ass... Can you explain exactly what the hell happened to you? </div></div>

I think you missed the sarcasm.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawdog734</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kick ass... Can you explain exactly what the hell happened to you? </div></div>

I think you missed the sarcasm..... </div></div>

I think that you really can't tell who is being sarcastic on the internet...

You will de-ass your Ghillie in a heart beat over fire ants,had a buddy med-vac out over poison ivy that he had got on his lips that caused an allergenic reaction he almost died from air way restriction.Before you go to ground look down,theres alot of shit out there that will kill you fast or kill you slow and some of the worst I've seen was in South America and Asian.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will de-ass your Ghillie in a heart beat over fire ants,had a buddy med-vac out over poison ivy that he had got on his lips that caused an allergenic reaction he almost died from air way restriction.Before you go to ground look down,theres alot of shit out there that will kill you fast or kill you slow and some of the worst I've seen was in South America and Asian. </div></div>

Fire ants are a bitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that you really can't tell who is being sarcastic on the internet... </div></div>

Good cover....

You aren't kidding...

When I was younger I thought it would be fun to kick one of those miniature dirt volcanoes when I was on vacation in AL. Bad decision. The thing exploded when my foot contacted it, and fire ants went everywhere. Amazing how many of those fuckers live in one of those things, and how fast they move.

I had a trip to the ER for that one.... but I learned not to mess with those things anymore.

Any of you guys ever ran into bee swarms in trees while you were out and about? I had one form outside my house one time, and it was pretty wild. I thought it would be funny to shoot the buzzing mass with some buckshot... which also proved to be a bad decision.

I was digging a fox hole one day and felt some thing not right on my neck just under my flack. i reached up and swiped it away and it was a black widow. Damn thing landed in my foxhole so I came out really fast. beat that fucker with my kevlar until I couldnt see it any more then went back after it with my etool. I think I was saying all kinds of four letter words the whole time too. What really sucked is Im 6'4" so it was one hell of a fox hole and I wasnt about to go back into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Hon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't kidding...

When I was younger I thought it would be fun to kick one of those miniature dirt volcanoes when I was on vacation in AL. Bad decision. The thing exploded when my foot contacted it, and fire ants went everywhere. Amazing how many of those fuckers live in one of those things, and how fast they move.

I had a trip to the ER for that one.... but I learned not to mess with those things anymore.

Any of you guys ever ran into bee swarms in trees while you were out and about? I had one form outside my house one time, and it was pretty wild. I thought it would be funny to shoot the buzzing mass with some buckshot... which also proved to be a bad decision. </div></div>

LMAO!!!! We are brothers from different mothers. I do the same stupid shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lawdog734</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that you really can't tell who is being sarcastic on the internet... </div></div>

Good cover.... </div></div>

Yeh I thought it was pretty amazing. Hey what part of GA do you live in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Torfinn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Okay so what happens on a stalk when you have to conceal your postion and this thing is sitting on your face! </div></div>

Become one with the spider, Grasshopper...........
wink.gif

One of those crawled on my face, I'd scream like that bad guy on home alone, when the tarantula got on his face.
cry.gif

Tarantulas don't much bother me. We see a lot of them up here, and remove many from the garage and shop to the outside again. Very hard tp make them bite you, even if you try. Now that Banana spider..........................
eek.gif
shocked.gif

I don't really know much about them, like if they're poisonous or not, but judging by the bright colors, I tend to think it is.
confused.gif
</div></div>

I have no idea what the hell that thing was but it sure wasn't a tarantula.

Our house at the time backed up into a bayou so there was all kinds of weird shiat in the attic.

It had the wingspan of a decent sized red hair, but was quite a bit thinner, greener and greyer and had the look of the devil in its eyes.

A vivid memory to be sure.

"Bottom line is providing yourself with enough knowledge of your area of operation so that something other than the enemy doesn’t take you out."

I'm not sure why anyone else didn't bring this to your attention but I would think having "the enemy take you out" should also be unacceptable.
confused.gif
grin.gif

Great stories, My grandfather said when he was in ETO he had seen a guy run through machine gun fire one day and scream like a little girl when a bee landed on him on another.
Must all come down to training, they don't train you to deal with bees.

Carry an EPI pen whether you are alergic to critters or not......... might save yo ass some day. You could have been stung by a thousand bees yesterday without anything but the stinging, however today you may be stung by one been and go into anaphalatic shock (called sensitization). An EPI pen is cheap insurance until somebody can get you to the medic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should have seen what a black widow did to me in 1999 back at Ft Stewart. </div></div>

Im curious...What happened? </div></div>

took my house, truck and half my retirement. </div></div>

LOL!!!! That's the worst kind; some of them even take your soul....
smile.gif

let's see, in Panama...ran into a Boa, Africanized Honey Bees. In Cuba ran into some wicked ass spider they have down there, kinda like a fiddleback, in Oklahoma....Yellow Jackets, they were the worst, took two hits to the head, felt like I'd been hit with a ball bat.

Hilarious (now, not when all this happened) thread, and very educational. Never needed an epi-pen before but I'll see about getting one.

Here in SE NC we have, let's see--

-Black widows under just about every piece of scrap wood. Kick them over before picking them up. Grandma almost died from a black widow bite. (Ya, the black widows who take your house and then move their boyfriend in are worse.)

-Brown recluses here and there. They're kind of rare, which is why they call them "recluses," but people still manage to find them. One guy in my welding class a couple years ago was absent for a few days and word was he had a big patch of necrotized skin where a brown recluse got him. Of course, when he came back we called him "Spider-Man."

-Rattlesnakes. The county's Darwin Award three years ago went to a genius who hated rattlers and one day when he saw one, he told his friend "I'm-a get that sucker, be right back" only he didn't come back and was found a couple days later. Sometimes the dragon wins. Don't kill them because some species are protected, especially the eastern diamondback.

-Copperheads. I've never heard of a grownup dying from one, but they will mess you up as best they can. When I was a deputy, one of my colleagues walked into his barn early one morning, right in front of a copperhead who didn't like waking up so soon. That was about a thousand bucks deductible on his health insurance.

-Cottonmouths and coral snakes. These would definitely rather run/hide than fight. Please, please let them. If you really want to, you can get bit. Remember, coral snakes are neurotoxic, so CroFab won't help too much.

-Dirt daubers. Actually, you want these in your house, because they eat black widows.

-Wasps. I have about a squillion of these things living in the walls of my old house, but I've never been stung. I just try not to aggravate them.

-Fire ants. Oh Lord, do we have fire ants, all over the place. I can't hardly go prone in my yard without picking up a few.

Now I finally understand why I was never drawn to the Scout/Sniper role.

Up until now, I guess it was a subconscious thing, but now, I know for sure. Hell; I may give up hunting, too...

There be wicked nasty beasties out there...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fairdebtlawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Cottonmouths and coral snakes. These would definitely rather run/hide than fight. Please, please let them. If you really want to, you can get bit. Remember, coral snakes are neurotoxic, so CroFab won't help too much.

-Fire ants. Oh Lord, do we have fire ants, all over the place. I can't hardly go prone in my yard without picking up a few. </div></div>

If the cottonmouths have babies anywhere in the area they'll aggressively clear the area as best they can, something to be wary of they won't alway run you may be the one doing the running.

I've seen one clear a small section of lake before swimming after people.

Crazy ants are one their way to eat all the fire ants. Only problem is they also want to eat all your electronics for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider

ive run into one or two of those motherfuckers in the woods down here before. And by run into i mean literally..running through the woods and go face first trhough a web, only to have one land on my head. I don't do bugs well haha and I remained calm but used plenty of four letter words to get my buddy to get them off of me. theyre harmless too but the females get fucking huge

Drewbie, maybe our youngest, and might I say very level headed, member started on hell of a thread here...keep it up brother. youre on the right track.

oh yeah, before I forget; I was reading this the other night a little drunk
crazy.gif
, and fell asleep
sleep.gif
on the couch (oh the single life!
cool.gif
) I woke up in the morning after having a dream of stalking and being <span style="text-decoration: underline">covered</span> in ticks, hundreds of 'em they were EVERYWHERE!not like a narco addict kind of thing, but a exagerated reality in MN. im not to bothered by ticks, but that was alot of ticks.
sick.gif

thanks, ass holes.
wink.gif

C_K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: invictus maneo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_garden_spider

ive run into one or two of those motherfuckers in the woods down here before. And by run into i mean literally..running through the woods and go face first trhough a web, only to have one land on my head. I don't do bugs well haha and I remained calm but used plenty of four letter words to get my buddy to get them off of me. theyre harmless too but the females get fucking huge

</div></div>

Lol I hate those little fuckers to... mainly cause they blend in with my mom's garden. Lol once I was about 1 lb of pressure away from blowing one of them away when my mom came out to check her garden. NO!!! don't kill that harmless spider! Well I waited for about a week and then took that little bastard out and when my mom asked where it went I was like maybe it was homesick!

As for the banana spider pictured yes it is poisenous. They have a neurotoxin that will mess you up pretty bad, but the guide sad that it probably wouldn't kill you.

Fig.%2018.jpg

The pic above is just a spider I found...

The most potentially deadly of all these is the brown recluse... Those things will mess you up pretty bad.

day 3 after this guy was bitten by a recluse
spiderUS1.jpg

day 5
spiderUS2.jpg

day 6
spiderUS3.jpg

day 9
spiderUS4.jpg

day 10
spiderUS5.jpg

He probably didnt wait?? those BR are dangerous the toxins kill everything in the skin.

He is in a hopital when those pics are being taken!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drewbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway does anyone have anyways of dealing with a spider if its like on your face or something? </div></div>

Please, let me be the first to say, don't shoot it... </div></div>

You realize, that would take a rifle capable of Minute of Spider accuracy...
wink.gif