• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Credible Voices for Equipment Recommendations

stanley_white

If it ain’t broke, you can’t resist.
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Washington D.C. Metro Area
    To you, what is a credible voice for equipment recommendations?

Why is this voice credible?

For example…

“If the Top Ten PRS shooters use Product X then I view Product X as being quality.”

“If AirborneReconScubaSniperRangers use Product X then I view Product X as being quality.”

“If Gun X survived Z Situation then I view Gun X as being quality.”

Etc…

-Stan

To you, what is a credible voice for equipment recommendations?

Why is this voice credible?

For example…

“If the Top Ten PRS shooters use Product X then I view Product X as being quality.”

“If AirborneReconScubaSniperRangers use Product X then I view Product X as being quality.”

“If Gun X survived Z Situation then I view Gun X as being quality.”

Etc…

-Stan

I don't care who makes the recommendation. I want to listen to the reasons and rationale for the recommendation.

I also want to know how much relevant subject matter expertise the person making the recommendation have. Example: I'm not listening to a top PRS shooter who is hawking someone's DLC coating unless he is an actual SME on such coating process.

Nothing beats actual experience with a product.

That said, there are certain voices here that I have come to trust in regards to equipment. Users that have been around for a while, and can adequately explain what they like and dislike in a product and why. I also have a few people in my inner circle, such as gunsmiths and an AB team shooter, who I trust with their opinions. Generally I know these individuals well enough that I can discern the objective facts while parsing out their individual biases.

But you have to have enough baseline knowledge to be able to parse quality and objective info while understanding where personal biases may get in the way. And ultimately, you have to get feedback from multiple users, rather then rely on any one individual. You need to aggregate many opinions on any one item, and parse through them yourself to find out what makes sense, what doesn't, where bias is coming into play, etc in order to develop a whole picture.

Reactions: stanley_white
    I think it's also worth mentioning that there's a few SME's here on SH.

Like Koshkin on optics. The many gunsmiths. Barrel manufacturers like Frank at Bartlein. Etc.

These people are great resources.

As a newb to the sport of Precision Rifle in general, I'm always open to credible/expert opinions... Credibility is a secret recipe that can easily be ruined with too much arrogance, passive-aggressiveness, cockiness.

The best experts are those who are approachable, authentic, and not arrogant.

If you are looking to get top end stuff and you post here you will usually get the majority of the crowd giving the same 2 or 3 suggestions (obviously a bunch of other garbage mixed in) Then it's up to you to pick from those 3 which has the features you want, which can be tough, sometimes you buy 2 and end up selling the one you don't like.

The first step is to immediately ignore anyone who spends 50% of the review talking about the packaging something comes in.

Second step is to ignore anyone who doesn’t actually use the item. They may have it, but they don’t actually use it. Most of these people are the ones running review videos on IG.

Third…and most important…if it isn’t going to make you more better at lookin more cooler, then it’s square and you should just say no.

#ProTips

Reactions: 308pirate