• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Creedmoor TRX-925 Populate Data to Spreadsheet

B y r o n

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2004
Western Kentucky
So I recently picked up one of these scales because of the 0.01 grain accuracy and the ability to populate data into a spreadsheet. One of the problems I've run into is the documentation is basically non existent with regard on how to do this. I know I need a RS232 to USB cable but Creedmoor has not gotten back to me with regard if I need a regular modem cable or a null modem cable. Apparently I'll need a third party software to handle the communications but don't feel like spending in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars to make this happen. If anyone has already done this any information would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, if anyone is interested you can pick one of these scales up for $250 right now.

So like a lot of us, we can be a little impatient at times. I did some more online searching and it seems null modem cables seem to be the norm. So I was able to find one with a reasonable price and driver CD is included. The one I choose was from Startech - ICUSB232FTN. It also has integrated FTDI USB UART Chip.

s-l1600[1].jpg

Web site lists these at $45 but was able to find one on eBay for $18 all in. Once it arrives I'll give it a try and report back with results. If you have experience with this or similar product please let me know your results.

Update: So the cable came in today and there is only one problem. The problem is that the cable has a female connector and the back of the scale also has a female connector. :(

Back to shopping but this time for a cable with the right connector.

UPDATE: Found a male to male adapter for $4.00, inbound. :)

s-l1600[1].jpg

Last edited:
So first adapter arrived but was damaged in shipping. Simply placed in small padded envelope and routing or sorting machine crunched it. A replacement was sent but arrived in one piece even though it was shipped in the same envelope. Still couldn't get scale to transfer data to my spreadsheet after setting it to "Auto" and loading 232 Key on the laptop.

I've sent e-mail to Creedmoor for more detailed information but have not heard back as yet.

If anyone has been able to get their scale to populate data into a spreadsheet please feel free to explain how you were able to accomplish it.

So I got this information from Creedmoor this morning:

"I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I needed to do some testing on my end.

When we developed the scale we did so on a Windows 10 computer. Since then Window’s 11 has come out, and I had not rechecked compatibility. When I tried to hook the scale up, in order to walk you through the connection with RS232 Key and the scale, I encountered some driver related issues which can be very frustrating to trouble shoot if you are not expecting it.

Here is the cable I use when communicating with the scale.

Amazon link

I am not sure which version of windows you are using, but if it is Windows 11 there is a good chance you will need to update drivers for the RS232 cable to work properly. Prolific PL2303 seems to be the common chip set used in the RS232 to USB converter, so I would start with this driver update.

https://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=223&pcid=126

Once the update has been applied, reopen 232Key. Here are the settings I have used.

1692725416376.png

Then you will need to go to the Output settings and change the “End With:” to Enter

1692725469822.png

Otherwise the output will continually output to the same cell in Excel. As a default, the scale will automatically transmit data when the reading is stable.

We know use with a computer is a bit clunky, when we developed the scale we did not think that there would be a lot of people who were as nerdy as I am when it comes to connecting things to excel. Couple that with the challenge in making sure the scale connects smoothly with every operating system and every scenario, we decided not to develop that feature as well as it could have been, and if people had issues we would work with them one on one to try and work through and resolve them. To be honest, you are the first person to mention having an issue with connectivity.

Anyway, I hope the above helps,

If you need more please feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,

Jared Haehnel

Product Developer

167 Creedmoor Way
Anniston, AL 36205
Office: 800-273-3366 Ex. 105
Cell: 801-822-8880
Email: [email protected]"

If I'm reading the timeline correctly just under a week for what appears to be a very well thought out reply.

Kudos to them, as I'd call that very promising customer support

Tagging in to see how your connection goes

So, cable arrived in the mail today. Instructions with the cable were simple and straight forward. Insert their disc, navigate to my OS, double click on setup and follow on-screen instructions. A couple minutes later it was ready. I went into my reloading room, plugged the cable into the scale, plugged in cable to laptop (red LED in printer connection lit up), launched 232Key and started my spreadsheet. The scale had already been set to "Auto" and I already configured 232Key to the setting outlined in the above e-mail. I grabbed a few 300 BO cases that were laying nearby and bingo!

datatransfer.jpg

Here is the data log from 232Key:

What a difference having the right parts and proper instructions make. :) Just as a side note, I didn't buy the same length cable but instead ordered a 10 footer for more flexibility. The only downside to using the free version of 232Key is manually deleting the rows with "0". In the paid version I understand that you can set it to simply not populate those values.

Now it is off to having a little fun.