• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crested Butte Grand Traverse

Westy35

Here to Learn
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2011
Bozeman, MT
I shoot my bow and guns pretty much year-round, and fitness is a huge component of my preparation for hunting and just life in general. I've usually slacked a little bit during the winter (it's dark, it's cold, etc. excuses), but not this year. I just told a buddy I would do the Crested Butte Grand Traverse with him, and the scale of the event is starting to sink in. I know there are a lot of super fit endurance athletes here, and I really like to get perspectives from folks who are in different circles, so just thought I'd post up a quick message to see if anyone here has advice for me as I start preparing.

That and glacier crack exploring just sound like ways of getting out of a divorce for men or women without paying legal fees , like oceanic cruises with witnesses . Just a little push and oops honey are you , oh my god she or he just jumped into that crack in the ice or they must have fallen overboard as you turn on the crocodile tears , no honey no .

Alpine climber here. I do lots of that stuff. Long story short, you should invest in the book Uphill Athlete by House, Johnston, and Jornet. The answers you seek are in there. They are far too complex to write out here when you are starting from scratch.

Alpine climber here. I do lots of that stuff. Long story short, you should invest in the book Uphill Athlete by House, Johnston, and Jornet. The answers you seek are in there. They are far too complex to write out here when you are starting from scratch.

Awesome, thank you! I just ordered it! I was already aware of New Alpinism, but I hadn't heard of Uphill Athlete.

What's on your alpine list this winter?

Ice climbing trips to Banff and Hyalite and some ski tours in the Wasatch for now. If I can time it right, I'd love to try some of the ephemeral ice lines in the UT desert as well if they come in for a couple days. Plenty of local training trips closer to home as well.

The GT is a hell of an objective. Good luck!

Sounds like an awesome winter lies ahead!

Thanks - I'm just coming off a 10-day unsupported dall sheep hunt in the Chugach, so I have a decent base to start from, but the GT is still intimidating. Appreciate the suggestion for Uphill Athlete.