• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crickett target model *custom* RANGE REPORT 12/10

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    I may not have the budget for a center fire custom every year, but that didn't stop me from missing out of the fun in 2010. I got impatient and had to let the cat out of the bag early, so its still in prototype condition, hence the primer grey color scheme.

Its more of a frankenstein than a thoroughbred custom, but I had my fun doing *most of the work myself.

Started off as a Keystone Crickett 22LR target model. Sourced a blank adult size laminate stock from Bruce Baer , Re-purposed an EGW 20MOA scope base for a savage 93 and a savage trigger guard filed down to fit flush with the stock.

Did all of the inletting myself with a dowel rod, sandpaper, a electric drill and a box cutter (no dremel). Believe it or not but its aluminum pillar bedded in Devcon. Waiting on a recoil pad to grind to fit and then some duracoat to make it look less like a demolition derby car. The original trigger wasn't visible when mounted to the larger stock so I had to 'borrow' an aluminum trigger shoe from an airsoft gun that was then fitted to the original trigger like a round peg in a square hole, but its worked out in the end.

Thanks to Chad McCauslin for not laughing me out of his shop when I asked to get more holes drilled and tapped for the EGW base.

I wouldn't have fussed with it if the original child size version wasn't capable of 'minute-of-shotgun shell' @ 100 yards, so I expect the same accuracy with this only 1000% better ergonomics.

Back to taking everything seriously, thanks for lookin!

Re: Crickett target model *custom*

you gotta do a range report!!!!!!!!

that's neat sh#t right there. how <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> long </span> short is the barrel?

can't wait to hear how that cricket "chirps"

I second the range report request and also think this is really cool.

16" from breech to muzzle per legality (15" if you measure from the front of the action).

Nothing but rain and wind the past few days since I've got the trigger worked out, not the best conditions to test a 22LR...

More to come once the weather clears up enough. Thanks for making me feel less crazy for putting so much effort in an obtuse little pea shooter.

Some projects are worth so much more then the monetary value of the finished project. This is one. Did you learn somethng while doing it? Did it allow you to shoot in a manner or style that you couldn't before? Was it fun? If yes to any one of these then the effort was worth it.

Very cool looking project. Those little guns are really amazing shooters. I have two for my daughters and they're a blast to shoot. Take a real man to shoot a pink stocked cricket. LOL

Charlie

I learned that a file can do anything, it just takes time. (aka why people own dremel tools)

Fabricating a trigger from nearly scratch was a new one for me. Until now any gun project I've had has been a bolt-on, so making things that were expected to look, fit, and work correctly was a new venture.

Measuring twice and cutting once is an understatement when you've got raw material to work with.

The end goal was to have a scoped rifle to teach my friends with since the 308 makes for expensive lessons. My other rimfire is the 28" barrel 40xb, which is A LOT of rifle to swing out of the window when a groundhog requires removal, so It will serve as the new backyard vermin population control device in the spring. If my county allowed suppressors through the normal channels it would have been threaded from day 1, maybe when it goes back for an adult sized bolt handle...

Also, the 20MOA base and adjustment range of the SS10xHD will allow shots to 300 yards. And yes, its original incarnation was with the pink laminate stock. Not too proud to purchase, but it was promptly painted before it went to a range
    wink.gif

So I had to zero my daughter's rifle.

ZebraRiflesmall.jpg

Wife thought it was a hoot as well.

ZebraRifle2small.jpg

And my daughter holding it when she was 3. She's now 6 and just began shooting it.

Nevawithrifle2.jpg

Okay, go ahead and laugh. But my daughter will be able to shoot all of the boys so I don't have to.
    cool.gif

Charlie

"OFIS" that is just . . . AWESOME !!!

Thanks for sharing & Please keep us posted when its all done.

Have a great one,
    FTK

Well here is one of mine!

76266_1697800730763_1410223592_31843151_7651355_s.jpg

both of my girls have them and they really enjoy getting the chance to shoot them when ever they can.

32" even. Add another .4" once Brownells comes through on the pad.

What it lacks in length it makes up for in weight, @ 8lbs

Well thought out. Would make a handy packable "critter gitter" for a backpacking trip. It would also make a great squirrel/rabbit hunting rig. That barrel length would be handy toting through thick brush.

Charlie that is an awesome smile!!! I don't think there would be much that could beat that.

That rifle looks awesome! Was shocked to hear that it was 8lbs! What would look great at the end would be a fake can that is built back over the end of the rifle. Would make the rifle look even shorter
    wink.gif

Got a calm day, but had to accept that that day would also be 29º

In the meantime I fit a recoil pad and gave it a top coat of paint to call it 'finished' for now. The standard for 'range reports' seem to be 'test different ammo at different ranges' so I hope to not disappoint anyone that I didn't bother shooting the bulk variant 22LR @100 after the Wolf match was so obviously superior @50. (but mostly due to my hands being frozen and the sun had completely set)

First some gratuitous press shots:

32.5" OAL compared with 16" barreled AR15.

Got to the range ASAP but hard to argue with a winter sun in the northern hemisphere.

The necessity for flash photography by the end of the range session is a testament to the clarity of the SS10xHD. No sweat to spot hits at 100 yards with an overcast sky and 5pm winter light conditions.

Only had 3 types of ammo, Will have to get some CCI for future reference

Winchester Super X 36gr bulk-pack copper plated hollow point 22LR
    Federal 36gr bulk-pack round nose un-plated 22LR
    Wolf target match 40gr round nose un-plated 22LR

Tested supported (bipod/sandsock) from the bench, no wind, 29º start to finish

Targets @ 50y:

Clockwise from top left: Zero target for Winchester x10 rounds, Federal test x20 rounds, Wolf test X20 rounds, Winchester test x20 rounds.

Group sizes average/best:
    Winchester= .73"/.65"
    Federal= .8"/.5"
    Wolf= .37"/.3" (3 of the 4 groups were .3" center to center)

Close up of 50y Wolf target.

The gun is tricky to shoot. Follow through makes itself VERY obvious when you forget since the lock time and trigger are not suited for precise shooting (its a kids starter rifle after all, never meant to be much more). But this is one of its charms in my opinion. I have to REALLY apply those fundamentals to get it to drive straight. Having the Wolf shot in the middle of the test and stand out as a clear difference from the bulk/junk 22 lets me know that I'm doing my part and removing myself as a variable as much as humanly possible.

Targets @100y

(same lineup as 50y)

Was losing daylight even faster once I was finished with the 50y targets. Pushed my cold endurance to get a reference for drop on the Wolf as well as get an idea of its 100y performance.

1.9 mil drop from 50y zero (aka ~7 inches)
    .95" average/ .7" best

In conclusion, its a lot of fun. As a project and as a result. I can't image a reason NOT to bring it to the range every time I go since it proves invaluable as a 'warm-up' gun. 10¢ a shot is easier to cope with than 75¢

A bigger bolt handle is necessary. The extractor is a little rough to snap over the rim of the case and only having thumb+index contact on the baby sized handle makes it awkward to accomplish. The trigger is by no means operating on tight tolerances, but it breaks clean and is actually very light.

Threading would be great even though my county won't sign for suppressors (yet). And I have been meaning to order/install Grovetec flush cups as scale practice for sling shooting since the stock will fit the same distance as the ones installed in my A5.

Keystone Firearms may have built a heavy barreled rifle for kids, but that by no means limits its accuracy potential and value as a foundation for a full scale project on a low budget.

That is slick as s**t. I just got a cricket last weekend (in black) for my five year old son as his starter rifle........hmmm...
    Don't think my wife would go for it just yet.

That is a GREAT idea. Have a great time with it!

I suppose the 'test' was redundant as match ammo will always be better than bulk ammo, but chalk it up to the things I have to see to believe. I always figured 22LR was 22LR.

Those are some impressive groups with that rifle. If you are under 1" at 100 with a .22 you are doing something right. Nice shooting and nice rifle.

that is a (excuse the pun) great little project and a fine shooting rifle (the shooter not so bad also)!

thanks for the range report, nicely done.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is thinking about a project like this.

Heck yeah you aren't the only one looking at a project like this...

Man would that thing look nasty with a can at the end of it.

im still smiling at your daughters picture man. great project. man those crickets are small, lol, looking at you holding it to sight in and your wife holding it i just realized how tiny they are

I'd love to do that project, but I can't get it back from him...
    miles.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    First some gratuitous press shots:

32.5" OAL compared with 16" barreled AR15.
    </div></div>

This is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagayos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You, my friend, are one cool ass DAD. Congrats!!!!!! </div></div>

Very cool rifle, project and DAD.
    Grats on nice rifle.

Great info; thanks for sharing. Im about to dive into a 22lr for plinking and for a future starter rifle for my 3 year old. Great pics too.

That's awesome, nice work. +1 on suppressing it, that would be sick. Hopefully your county changes with the times. And I have to say, that bolt handle looks hilarious.

The bolt handle makes sense at its original scale, but putting it into a full size stock it does not hold up.

The original trigger wasn't even visible when put into the larger stock, hence the necessity of fabrication.

Glad everyone gets a vicarious kick out of it! I highly recommend them in whatever variant available.

Price on crickets is going up!!
    Company spokesperson states," a cult, Snipers Hide Members, are buying them off the shelf in dozens." It is assumed they are making sniper rifles to sell to the Lilliputians, as they join the War on Terrorism.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to do that project, but I can't get it back from him...
    miles.jpg
    </div></div>

How old?

Great Job OFIS! I often looked over the Cricket rifle rack at one of our local gun dealers when he had the heavy barrel one up there and thought about the possiblities... Your project looks great.

I wonder if you bother to try to tune up the trigger or tried to polish it up here and there to help with lighten the trigger pull. Your shooting didn't look like you needed it. You might like to try Federal .22LR AutoMatch or Champion. It is not as fast of a round like Wolf too and AutoMatch comes in bulk box. Does't work out then you can shoot it up plinking around. That's the great thing about .22 LR ammo, cheap to shoot.

I took over the daughters Savage Cub . She likes the centerfires now.

3d7ca09c.jpg

21193404.jpg

6d56c3cd.jpg

Frickin awesome! I'm going to have to buy another one now since my daughter I know will not give hers up. Thanks for sharing the great idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to do that project, but I can't get it back from him...
    miles.jpg
    </div></div>

How old? </div></div>

7 at the pic, now 8 and still won't give it up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sespe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to do that project, but I can't get it back from him...
    miles.jpg
    </div></div>

How old? </div></div>

7 at the pic, now 8 and still won't give it up! </div></div>

What age did you start?

I also bought my daughter a stainless steel cricket with a pink stock two years ago when she was 5 years old. I also bought some plastic orange snap caps that we use to have her practice safe gun handling, loading, unloading and dryfiring at home. We practice about once a month and she understands how to safely handle the rifle. As far as accuracy goes, I can consistently hit shotgun shell hulls at 15-20 yards off hand with that rifle. The iron sights are poor, so I recently bought a scope mount and plan to install a 2.5X Leupold on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    How old? </div></div>

7 at the pic, now 8 and still won't give it up! [/quote]

What age did you start? [/quote]

I don't remember, I had many older brothers already shooting. It was almost all muzzle loaders as a kid, though.