• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimp 6 ARC Handloads for AR?

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
Are y’all crimping your gas gun 6 ARC handloads? I pop the mag and unload my rifle after each hunt. At beginning of each hunt, I chamber the same round but don’t slam it. I’ve heard some folks are having bullets come out of case.

Crimp?

In the pistol world many Are very careful about chambering the same round twice (a distinct possibility with concealed carry weapons). There have been instances where a round (including factory rounds) that has been chambered multiple times experiencing over pressure events due to bullet setback.

Reactions: General RE LEE
Are y’all crimping your gas gun 6 ARC handloads? I pop the mag and unload my rifle after each hunt. At beginning of each hunt, I chamber the same round but don’t slam it. I’ve heard some folks are having bullets come out of case.

Crimp?
Who is having bullets come out of the case and under what circumstances?

I never crimp my gas gun loads, including those for large and small frame ARs and M14s.

I keep .002-.003 interference fit between bullet and case neck.

I tried not crimping my 6 arc ammo during load development and I was consistently getting 1st round flyers, 2nd shot would tighten up a little and then the rest of the shots would all group nicely. I assumed my bullet seating depth was changing. I started putting a taper crimp on them and it eliminated the issue.

Reactions: RTH1800
I tried not crimping my 6 arc ammo during load development and I was consistently getting 1st round flyers, 2nd shot would tighten up a little and then the rest of the shots would all group nicely. I assumed my bullet seating depth was changing. I started putting a taper crimp on them and it eliminated the issue.
You could also cycle manually and measure BTO to demonstrate a change in seating depth to confirm. That would be nice to see if they were changing or if somehow adding the crimp made a difference independently of seating depth changes.