• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

crimp or no crimp

toolmaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2008
N.C.
Rifle is a Rem 700PSS in .308 I am using 168gr A-MAX , 43 GR Of Varget on Neck sized brass using a Lee neck sizer with no crimp. Rifle consistantly shoots under 1/2 MOA, should i be crimping my brass or leave well enough alone? What is the benefit of crimping and if i start doing it will i see a difference in accuracy or my zero?

Re: crimp or no crimp

Crimping is not needed on bolt rifle ammunition. The general consensus is to crimp revolver ammo, light taper crimp semiauto pistol ammo and run gas gun ammo with more neck tension.

Also agree with these guys. If a stock gun shoots less than 1/2 moa --don't change anything.

I only crimp my hot .357, 44 mag and all my semi auto rifle ammo

I crimp mine, as I have had too many instances of bullets pulling out of the neck on rounds in the mag during recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I crimp mine, as I have had too many instances of bullets pulling out of the neck on rounds in the mag during recoil. </div></div>

Polish some material off the expander ball in your sizing die. You don't have enough neck tension with your current setup if your having bullets pull out in the magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle is a Rem 700PSS in .308 I am using 168gr A-MAX , 43 GR Of Varget on Neck sized brass using a Lee neck sizer with no crimp. Rifle consistantly shoots under 1/2 MOA, should i be crimping my brass or leave well enough alone? What is the benefit of crimping and if i start doing it will i see a difference in accuracy or my zero? </div></div>

I don't crimp any target ammo for my 4 bolt guns.

If I'm using standard dies, I might do a slight crimp for semi-auto ammo, if the brass I'm using has necks that are too thin (less tension) for the die in question.

Otherwise, no.

Chris