• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimped primer pocket question

MTS308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Lake butler fl
IMG_2274.JPG

Will this tool work to remove the crimp from 5.56 brass. I'm using a lee decap only die to remove the primers but I haven't tried to cut the crimps out and seat a primer yet. Just wondering if I'm wasting time trying to salvage old once fired brass. I put together a 223 bolt trainer and I'm trying to keep cost down. Thanks

no it will not, a uniformer just makes primer pockets the same depth. A uniformer is an accuracy tool for getting the primer ignition to be the same in bulk brass that is not considered "match grade". You need a primer pocket swage or a primer pocket chamfer reamer to remove a the crimp.

If you are not going to have to process a large quantity, a case neck chamfer tool could be used, or a steel or better yet carbide countersink that on would use for screw holes.

For large quantities, the Dillon as mentioned.

If you are not going to have to process a large quantity, a case neck chamfer tool could be used, or a steel or better yet carbide countersink that on would use for screw holes.

For large quantities, the Dillon as mentioned.
This. What press are you using?

All crimps are not equal and can be a PITA. I've used several different tools to ream the primer pocket and at least two different tools to swage them. The RCBS works ok but is slow, the Dillon works faster but sometimes has to be readjusted. Some reamers don't fit every primer pocket. Like I said, a PITA. I tend to use the carbide counter sink more than other tools.

I also seem to have more trouble with small primer pockets that with large. And stab or staked crimps seem to be even worse.

I got the RCBS swage die set. I'm gonna give it a try. I have 300 rounds of Winchester factory unprimed brass I'm going use for matches. But I figured I don't want to use it up for training ammo. Also I have around 1500 pieces of once fired crimped brass. I figured I Might as well use it.