• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

crimping 308

wbell

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
PA
do you guys crimp your cases when reloading for your AR-10? if do you use a taper or roll crimp?

Re: crimping 308

I never found it necessary to crimp in any of my semi or full auto 308/7.62 NATO

I used to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die when I reloaded for a AR10, and I still use a LFCD for AR15 loads, it doesn't hurt accuracy and is good insurance IMHO

I use the Lee factory crimp die on all of my semis. Although very unlikely, the idea that a bullet could get jammed into the case of an aluminum receiver makes me shudder.

But that's just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mosdet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No crimping here. Why do you think you need to?</div></div>

i always thought there could be issues with bullet setback.

I'm on the fence with crimping. I've done some very informal tests with bullet-setback or forward movement of a non-crimped round when chambered by a semi-auto(AR15/10 type, M1A, Browning BAR). I used a micrometer/bullet comparator to measure OAL after the round is chambered and in most cases/weapons I have seen very little, if any at all, movement. I've even put the same round through the chambering cycle 4-5 times(live fire) and seen only minor deviations in OAL with most guns. I did see one particular MIA that was very "hard" chambering and would beat the bullet in pretty far, but I think there was something a little off with the gun and it was an exception. With crimping accuracy can improve or degrade, it all depends on the individual weapon.

I do sometimes put a light crimp on my hunting rifle ammo with a Lee Crimp die due to the fact that I chamber/unload the rounds frequently during the day/season when going into camp or in/out of vehicles and want to make sure the bullets don't setback with the repeated chambering(or being in a lightweight gun during recoil). With the proper amount of neck tension, crimping is probably completely unnecessary but the gun will shoot 3/4" with the crimp so why the hell not.