• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimping for rifle accuracy…

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
I know crimping might be wise for a semi-auto like an M1 Garand. But for either a semi-auto or a bolt gun, will crimping help with accuracy because of more uniform and perhaps slightly greater neck tension?

In a bolt rifle accuracy loads shouldn't be crimped, uniform neck tension should be accomplished by resizing and that can be controlled by use of dies with interchangable neck sizing inserts or by slightly undersizing and using a precision expander mandrel. Once you get into large hunting loads crimping a cannelured bullet makes sense. For instance I do crimp cannelured bullets in my .416 as burning 110 grains of powder could shift bullet seating depth of the rounds banging around in the magazine.

I don't load for match accuracy in an AR and load cannelured bullets with a crimp. More than accurate enough for plinking and cheap.

I know crimping might be wise for a semi-auto like an M1 Garand. But for either a semi-auto or a bolt gun, will crimping help with accuracy because of more uniform and perhaps slightly greater neck tension?

Crimping match grade handloads can degrade accuracy and there is no need for a crimp with properly made handloads used in a semi-automatic AR-15.

nosler_accuracy_circles_with_mk262_002_--2836803.jpg

Reactions: Ernest 5.56