• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

crimping question

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
anyone crimping for precision bolt rifle? The glossy that came with the die set my newest caliber (.243)is selling the benefits of crimping for consistent pressure and that it builds more accuracy. Currently i just neck size and go with that. It works fine apparently, but now I'm pretty curious if its worth my time to crimp. Besides it being another stage to take the brass through, my assumption is that it will also require more post shooting brass work before reloading again. The only people I have read that are really up on crimping everything is semi auto guys due to magazine use and long free bore. My ogive on this rifle is short so its not a concern to hit it. Any thoughts?

Re: crimping question

Simple question for whoever wrote the glossy; where has he ever seen accuracy-minded competitive rifle shooters (of virtually <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> discipline)crimp? Proper neck tension is all that's needed, and crimping mere adds another variable. If you must crimp, use the absolute minimum possible. I've seen just a few instances where crimping may haf aided accuracy, but I've seen a great many where it degraded it, sometimes quite badly. Very easy to over-do, and over-doing it doesn't amount to much.

that was my initial thoughts. Why add another variable. thanks for confirmation It was Lee that made the glossy btw. Thanks for the response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that was my initial thoughts. Why add another variable. thanks for confirmation It was Lee that made the glossy btw. Thanks for the response. </div></div>

Figures, they want you to buy their FCD (Factory Crimp Dies) which evidently are pretty good for pistol rounds, where you crimp as a matter of course.

I have a Lee FCD in 7RM and I think that I've used it once. I don't even crimp for my gas guns because I can controll neck tension to a degree and I'm not worried about bullets being set back a lot, creating excessive pressure.

Chris

I personally do not like to crimp any bullet that does not have a cannelure for fear of deforming the bullet and affecting the accuracy of the round.